• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

National letter of intent signing day

flatheadgriz406

I'm confused. So you have a deadline but can still sign after the deadline ...
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NLIinsider/status/995987269394817026[/tweet]

Am I right in my assumption that a NLI is binding on both the athlete and the U, but an athletic aid agreement signed after May 16 binds only the U?

717s7e said:
Am I right in my assumption that a NLI is binding on both the athlete and the U, but an athletic aid agreement signed after May 16 binds only the U?

That is correct.

Here's my speculation.
We're on to some very good kids, such as the one that just signed with UCLA. I have a hunch some of those kids are still waiting to hear from bigger programs, and their decisions will come down to the last minute. A real game of musical chairs, and hence the agonizing wait for any news.

citay said:
Here's my speculation.
We're on to some very good kids, such as the one that just signed with UCLA. I have a hunch some of those kids are still waiting to hear from bigger programs, and their decisions will come down to the last minute. A real game of musical chairs, and hence the agonizing wait for any news.

I remember when Idaho State had their great teams in the late 1970's, with Steve Hayes, Jeff Cook. Beat UCLA in the NCAA Tourney. They thought they had arrived. They went up against the big boys for recruits and got NOBODY. They havn't had even good basketball since. ('course they havn't had a coach like Killer since then either!).

Of course a player can wait until after the Wednesday signing date, but if so, why is there even a last day to sign? I have spent at least half an hour researching National Letter of Intent web sites and none that I could find say anything about signing after the signing date. Did someone here say that signing after the signing date means that the institution is bound but the student is not?? It seems to make no sense to have an ending date of May 16th for signing, does it??

citay said:
Here's my speculation.

That is exactly what I have heard. Agonizing is an understatement!!

Is there an ending time (e.g. 5:00 p.m.) for the signing period tomorrow? Also, how does this deadline affect potential transfers?

717s7e said:
Of course a player can wait until after the Wednesday signing date, but if so, why is there even a last day to sign? I have spent at least half an hour researching National Letter of Intent web sites and none that I could find say anything about signing after the signing date. Did someone here say that signing after the signing date means that the institution is bound but the student is not?? It seems to make no sense to have an ending date of May 16th for signing, does it??
The letter of intent program is a voluntary one that is not administered by the NCAA. The LOI binds the player to the school for at least a year. If a player signs after the LOI period, they sign a scholarship agreement with the school. That binds the school to provide a scholarship for at least a year. It does NOT bind the player to the school until they attend the first day of classes.

citay said:
Here's my speculation.

Your speculation is from a glass half-full view.

A glass half-empty view would be that the Griz are waiting to pick up the scraps, the leftovers from the bigger programs. The Griz will be the second, third, fourth, choice of these kids. And will these recruits come in with ready-made attitude issues, like Karl Nicholas and Alphonso Anderson?

maroonandsilver said:
citay said:
Here's my speculation.

Your speculation is from a glass half-full view.

A glass half-empty view would be that the Griz are waiting to pick up the scraps, the leftovers from the bigger programs. The Griz will be the second, third, fourth, choice of these kids. And will these recruits come in with ready-made attitude issues, like Karl Nicholas and Alphonso Anderson?

Or hopefully a chip on their shoulder!

The anticipation of who the new additions will be, is frustrating.

Is it me, or has this staff been better at keeping news, updates, information, etc in house? Just seems like, rather it be basketball or football, getting legitimate accurate information in advance is much more difficult than it was just a few years ago.

Here is to hoping that Coach DeCuire has a few nice surprises for GRIZ NATION.

mtgrizrule said:

Is it me, or has this staff been better at keeping news, updates, information, etc in house? Just seems like, rather it be basketball or football, getting legitimate accurate information in advance is much more difficult than it was just a few years ago.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they come out of Spring with just Eddy Egun. We might pick up a prep player last minute from Cali but seems like we got burned by two transfers which kind of set us back with the recruiting. I could be wrong but seems to be heading that way. I suppose it gives us a one or two more schollies to offer up this summer on the AAU circuit when recruiting is very important for high school kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
mtgrizrule said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they come out of Spring with just Eddy Egun. We might pick up a prep player last minute from Cali but seems like we got burned by two transfers which kind of set us back with the recruiting. I could be wrong but seems to be heading that way. I suppose it gives us a one or two more schollies to offer up this summer on the AAU circuit when recruiting is very important for high school kids.

Man I hope not. That would mean playing 4-1 basketball all the time. Jones is not a BSC player that can get decent minutes. He seems way to raw unless he became a miracle. We couldn’t even play much 5-5 in practice. Bad news man, bad news

Just to reiterate, they can still sign guys all the way up until school starts. Just not a letter of intent, it would be an admission and aid agreement.

I think we’ll hear something in the next few weeks.

Back