• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

DeCuire Interview

citygriz

http://gogriz.com/news/2018/4/27/mens-basketball-video-update-with-travis-decuire.aspx

Good interview, though Riley Corcoran is so hyper-figedty, it looks at points as if he's going to fly right off his chair. I wish he'd calm down.

Also: No questions about Dorsey. My gosh, isn't that an important issue as we look to next year's team?
I know, I know, you can't talk about health issues. If DeCuire wants to duck that question, so be it. But if you're an interviewer, you have to ask the questions.

And how about a question about Malatare? Almost no subject has drawn more interest on this board.What does DeCuire think? Does Corcoran even look at this board?

Here's the way I look at it. Expecting gogriz.com to be the home of hard hitting, deep digging journalism is a bit like expecting state run media to be critical of the head of the country. They talk about what they want to talk about and cover everything in a positive light. And Riley is the mouthpiece to do that.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, in fact I actually enjoy a lot of the content they put out. I just do think it's worth mentioning that if Amie were the one interviewing with the Missoulian or even one of the Kaimin sports writers, I'd have different expectations for the type of questions that "at least have to be asked" than for Riley and the UM athletic department's own media releases.

citay said:
http://gogriz.com/news/2018/4/27/mens-basketball-video-update-with-travis-decuire.aspx

And how about a question about Malatare? Almost no subject has drawn more interest on this board.What does DeCuire think? Does Corcoran even look at this board?

Is DeCuire even allowed to talk about Malatare as a walk on without him signing a letter of intent? As such, I believe he can only comment once he’s enrolled in school.

go96griz said:
citay said:

Is DeCuire even allowed to talk about Malatare as a walk on without him signing a letter of intent? As such, I believe he can only comment once he’s enrolled in school.
But Citay says they still have to ask- even if they know what the answer will be! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

citay said:

Good interview, though Riley Corcoran is so hyper-figedty, it looks at points as if he's going to fly right off his chair. I wish he'd calm down.

Also: No questions about Dorsey. My gosh, isn't that an important issue as we look to next year's team?
I know, I know, you can't talk about health issues. If DeCuire wants to duck that question, so be it. But if you're an interviewer, you have to ask the questions.

He does
Vicious circle.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
go96griz said:
citay said:

But Citay says they still have to ask- even if they know what the answer will be! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

First, that's your job, even if you're a flack. There's a fan base out there that wants to know. But second, sometimes, those questions lead to the most interesting answers.

ASK! It's not only the key to a good interview, it's a huge key to success in life. Remember, if you're having a conversation and you never ask a question, that's not a conversation. That's therapy.

And by the way, why can't he talk about Malatare? He talked about Anderson and Kramer. If he can't, let him tell you why he can't. I'd like to know. So would a lot of others on this board.

citay said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
go96griz said:
citay said:

First, that's your job, even if you're a flack. There's a fan base out there that wants to know. But second, sometimes, those questions lead to the most interesting answers.

ASK! It's not only the key to a good interview, it's a huge key to success in life. Remember, if you're having a conversation and you never ask a question, that's not a conversation. That's therapy.

And by the way, why can't he talk about Malatare? He talked about Anderson and Kramer. If he can't, let him tell you why he can't. I'd like to know. So would a lot of others on this board.
Citay, you've been told a couple times. NCAA rules on not being able to comment on recruits until they've officially signed or are enrolled in school. All they can do is "confirm recruitment".

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
citay said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
go96griz said:

Citay, you've been told a couple times. NCAA rules on not being able to comment on recruits until they've officially signed or are enrolled in school. All they can do is "confirm recruitment".

Fair enough. How about Dorsey? Or are they prevented from talking about medical issues.

citay said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
citay said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

Fair enough. How about Dorsey? Or are they prevented from talking about medical issues.
Same. Due to HIIPA. The most info TDC can give is a non answer - something along the lines of he's coming along and we'll just have to see how it goes.

Agree with you on asking him other things, because even when he doesn't give a straight forward answer, you can glean really cool info from it.

I admit, there is a lot that I'd like to know regarding GRIZ basketball. With that said, Riley's job isn't to ask the questions you mentioned. Riley was hired by Learfield to be a positive mouth piece for GRIZ athletics. He was not hired to ask controversial, on the spot questions like other media sources. Riley isn't an independent media member. If he disappoints, upsets, or frustrates GRIZ coaches that could cost him his job. Why do you think he is given so much access to GRIZ football and basketball coaches and why he gets most of their interviews?

Media sources outside of GRIZ athletics are the ones that should be asking the kind of questions you are asking for. Coulter Nuanez, the Missoulian, etc are the kind of media sources that can dig for that kind of information.

As for Malatare, being he is a walk on, coaches cannot discuss non scholarship athletes until the walk on(s) are officially enrolled and attending school. I believe that applies to NCAA sanctioned sports. If, I am incorrect, anyone that knows more can certainly correct me, with more specifics. The soonest DeCuire can comment on any new walk on players would be this fall.

At this point, I am more interested how things are going in filling the remaining scholarships, with recruiting news. I'd like to know about how many more players are being considered, how many will visit, or have visited, how close are we to getting commitments, and what positions are we looking to fill?

It was nice to hear this interview. I appreciate the time DeCuire took for this interview. Ideally, I'd like to hear a few more interviews between now and September. These kind of updates are nice, even though the information is more limited than we'd like.

Let's take a step back here and look at the larger picture.

Four years ago, when Montgomery retired at Cal, he pleaded with the athletic administration there to hire DeCuire. They had other ideas, of course, and went for a big-name coach. And the result? Yes, they sent a #1 draft choice, Jaylen Brown, to the NBA. But four years later, that coach is gone, and Cal's Ken Pom rating was 244, versus our 72.

Furthermore, if you believe as much in Ken Pom as I do, Montana ranked higher than BYU, Oregon (with all the Nike influence), Stanford (with its national recruiting appeal), Wake Forest (alma mater to Chris Paul and Tim Duncan), Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Washington, Oregon State (Hi Tinks!), Illinois (with its access to the incredible Chicago recruiting area), New Mexico, UNLV, Colorado, Minnesota and Wyoming.

So the question for us (beyond how long we can keep him), is, How the hell is DeCuire doing it? He's recruiting to a low-level mid-major program in a rural state, and out-performing coaches making exponentially more than he is. Sure, there are the cliches ("Playing with Desperation"), but you don't perform at the level DeCuire's teams are performing with cliches, and other random coach-speak. You do it with coaching, and maybe more especially, you do it through recruiting. And while our defensive excellence was self-evident, the issues around recruiting are abundant. No matter you can't talk about Malatare and Dorsey, I would still like more answers:
Such as:
--You said some boosters had "stepped up" to support the program. What did you mean by that?
--You derisively said Montana used to recruit by phone. How has that changed?
--We know there are caps on the salaries at Montana, but are there any caps on the recruiting budget?
--Karl Nicholas was our first recruit ever from Texas. Will we continue to recruit there?
--What are the geographical areas of concentration in recruiting?
--What are the key selling points when you're recruiting a kid from Southern California?
--How much have the new training facilities aided recruiting?
--As much as we denigrate Montana as a fertile ground for recruiting, it's possible when Rollie Worster joins the program that you will have three Montana kids playing important roles on the team--Worster, Malatare and Anderson, not to mention RayQuan Evans from Billings, or the kid from Livingston that just signed with the Bobcats. Has this level of talent changed your mind about Montana kids?
--And of course, finally, can you give us any vague hints as to what's up with the three remaining scholarship openings? Are you looking at RayQuan?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to know these things.

Waiting for basketball recruiting information is like waiting for summer to arrive - it is hard to be patient but I understand why I have to wait.

The coaches would be idiots to say anything and tip their hand to other coaches and to other potential recruits. If Nuanez says anything, he will get frozen out of the pipeline forever.

This is like negotiating a date to the high school prom - you want to keep your cards close to the vest.

Nothing good comes of blabbing before the signature is on the dotted line.

Ursa Major said:
citay said:

He does, which explains the cocaine habit, which explains the hyper-fidgety behavior.

Vicious circle.

:lol: Nicely done, Ursa!

Back