• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Softball commit Tristin Achenbach

WyomingGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Thank you for the lesson in softball strategy.

It's quite alright. Women's NCAA Softball has been around for thirty-eight years, now?

Plus 10 more before the NCAA took over. Interesting tidbit, Northern Colorado was the only team to play in the first 11 women's college softball world series's from '69-'79. No one else can claim that. I think they've kinda fallen off since then. Every team in the Big Sky has been around for at least 30 or 40 years. It took us 3 years to catch up with them at a competitive level. Now if we can just add some World Series appearances to our resume.

NCAA Softball is a whole different animal since the AIAW years. 1997 when the SEC added softball changed the landscape. I would be thrilled with the Griz program if it could make an NCAA regional every three or four years. Super Regional and WCWS are possible but highly unlikely.

logchain20 said:
NCAA Softball is a whole different animal since the AIAW years. 1997 when the SEC added softball changed the landscape. I would be thrilled with the Griz program if it could make an NCAA regional every three or four years. Super Regional and WCWS are possible but highly unlikely.
Yes, deffenetly highly unlikely but deffenetly possible. This years champ, repeat winner Oklahoma, bairly survived their own regional after losing game one to NDSU. They then battled their way back to play Tulsa, a team that Pinkerton helped build into the ranked contender they are today and had to score four in the 10th to stave off elimination. Course, as they say, the rest was history, but anything was nearly possible for an unlikely opponent.

The recruits that are coming in the fall, we have discussed. Does anyone know who Coach Pinkerton and his staff have committed for 2018/who they will sign this next signing period? The Griz will lose 11, yes 11. Highly unusual for a college softball team. Just thought there might be word on the street who we might sign in November. Having softball withdrawal I guess.

logchain20 said:
The recruits that are coming in the fall, we have discussed. Does anyone know who Coach Pinkerton and his staff have committed for 2018/who they will sign this next signing period? The Griz will lose 11, yes 11. Highly unusual for a college softball team. Just thought there might be word on the street who we might sign in November. Having softball withdrawal I guess.

Besides cross country, Griz softball is the only 2017/2017-18 sport that has not posted a roster for the upcoming season. That's probably due to a technicality, which is: the open recruitment period for 2017-18 NCAA softball does not close until the end of July. I am not implying that there will be any alteration of the 2017 roster which shows 11 juniors. In essence, it simply means that Montana coaches still have the ability to announce recruits for the 2017-18 season as well as for the 2018-19 season. I do know that coaches have tweeted a pretty aggressive summer recruitment schedule. I'm having some withdrawl symptoms as well!

grizzlyjournal said:
logchain20 said:

Besides cross country, Griz softball is the only 2017/2017-18 sport that has not posted a roster for the upcoming season. That's probably due to a technicality, which is: the open recruitment period for 2017-18 NCAA softball does not close until the end of July. I am not implying that there will be any alteration of the 2017 roster which shows 11 juniors. In essence, it simply means that Montana coaches still have the ability to announce recruits for the 2017-18 season as well as for the 2018-19 season. I do know that coaches have tweeted a pretty aggressive summer recruitment schedule. I'm having some withdrawl symptoms as well!

No news for us yet but Sac St did land a pretty good transfer. 3B/UT Krystal Aubert From Washington. She's from the Sacramento area so it's no shock she came home. As a Frosh in '15 she batted .294 with 5 homers and made honerable mention All PAC 12. As a So in '16 she slumped some and looks to have quit the Huskies last year w/out playing in a single game. Maybe going home will be a rejuvenation for her.

logchain20 said:
Your right, no updated roster. However, fall schedule is up without an announcement.

Tha lack of an announcement may be because its probably not complete yet. There's only 5 games and we usually have 7-8 I think. Hopefully their looking to add a Pac12 opponent or one of the better WAC/Big West/West Coast con schools. Not sure how much, if any is in the travel budget for fall ball though.

Just noticed that the 2018 Montana softball roster has been posted. I'm going by memory, but the only underclass player from 2016-17 who is not listed on the 2018 roster is pitcher Sara Stevenson, who was a sophomore last season. Correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.gogriz.com/roster.aspx?path=softball

grizzlyjournal said:
Just noticed that the 2018 Montana softball roster has been posted. I'm going by memory, but the only underclass player from 2016-17 who is not listed on the 2018 roster is pitcher Sara Stevenson, who was a sophomore last season. Correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.gogriz.com/roster.aspx?path=softball

Your correct. I figured one of the pitchers would transfer with 5 current pitchers plus Achenbach joining. I thought Young would go due to her ranking in the depth chart and very little playing time last year. Stephenson makes sense too though with the promise she showed her Fr year and the small step backwards she made her So year. Driscoll took a huge step forward and Stensby took some decent steps forward. With Hood putting a stranglehold on the #1 spot and Achenbach possibly being the next big thing, attrition is expected. I'm guessing she's gone back home to Cali to jumpstart her once promising college career.

Back