• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Softball commit Tristin Achenbach

Ursa Major said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZDoc said:
HookedonGriz said:
She just struck out 20 batters in her first AA State game. Yes 20. Insane.

My 11 year old struck out 3 of the 4 batters she faced last night! :D not insane, but hope she's good enough to be a lady Griz some day!

Love it! That's the good stuff. I have an 11 year old as well. She's playing her first year of travel ball (big girl ball as opposed to rec). First tourney this weekend. Not sure who is more excited :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: Awesome work gentlemen!!!

Don't be a jerk. I was just making a hopeful comparison, not trying to derail a thread about a great future Griz. Why are so many people on here so douchy?

AZDoc said:
Ursa Major said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZDoc said:
My 11 year old struck out 3 of the 4 batters she faced last night! :D not insane, but hope she's good enough to be a lady Griz some day!

Love it! That's the good stuff. I have an 11 year old as well. She's playing her first year of travel ball (big girl ball as opposed to rec). First tourney this weekend. Not sure who is more excited :)

Don't be a jerk. I was just making a hopeful comparison, not trying to derail a thread about a great future Griz. Why are so many people on here so douchy?

I thought he was being genuine. If not I missed that completely.

I watched the AA tourney in Great Falls. These two are as good as billed. Achenbach can flat out pitch. I believe she's clocked at about 65 mph and has all the pitches. Her change up is fantastic. Good student as well. Voyles is very confident. Hits very well and has a rifle of an arm. Told my wife we will have to make a few trips to Missoula. Really enjoyed watching them :thumb:

grizd said:
AZDoc said:
Ursa Major said:
HookedonGriz said:

I was, maybe the Doc was responding to Mousegriz??

Ursa Major said:
grizd said:
AZDoc said:
Ursa Major said:

I apologize ursa...I read that 3 times before posting. First time thought it was genuine...then I think the next 2 were after I was on the phone with an idiot doc that thought his balls were huge. Got me grouchy and I think I took it out on you. Truely, I am sorry!

AZDoc said:
Ursa Major said:
grizd said:
AZDoc said:

I apologize ursa...I read that 3 times before posting. First time thought it was genuine...then I think the next 2 were after I was on the phone with an idiot doc that thought his balls were huge. Got me grouchy and I think I took it out on you. Truely, I am sorry!
No biggie Doc! Happens to all of us. I'm a big fan of great parenting, especially committed dads!!

nzone said:
I watched the AA tourney in Great Falls. These two are as good as billed. Achenbach can flat out pitch. I believe she's clocked at about 65 mph and has all the pitches. Her change up is fantastic. Good student as well. Voyles is very confident. Hits very well and has a rifle of an arm. Told my wife we will have to make a few trips to Missoula. Really enjoyed watching them :thumb:

As good as they are, I'm almost more excited for Jessica McAlister from Albequrque NM. Her team is currently ranked by MaxPreps as the #12 team in the country and she's been a 4 year starter for them. One at 3rd and the last 3 at catcher where she was All District and should earn State honors this year. A power hitter with a high average and great defensive skills, I think if she dosnt redshirt, she may take the job from Saacke.

Achenbach was named MaxPreps West region player of the week for her performance in the tourney. In three games she was 3-0 throwing 19 innings(all three complete game one hitters) striking out 46 batters with 3 walks and an era of 0.00(1 unearned run).

alabamagrizzly said:
Achenbach was named MaxPreps West region player of the week for her performance in the tourney. In three games she was 3-0 throwing 19 innings(all three complete game one hitters) striking out 46 batters with 3 walks and an era of 0.00(1 unearned run).

She seriously struck out 46 of the 57 batters she faced?!!! That is ridiculous! :thumb: :thumb:

BDizzle said:
alabamagrizzly said:

She seriously struck out 46 of the 57 batters she faced?!!! That is ridiculous! :thumb: :thumb:

The only knock on her dominance is Voyles has properly had her fielding attempts at SS cut to about 25% of what she normally got the last couple of years. :)

BDizzle said:
alabamagrizzly said:

During the NCAA regional games in Seattle (where they had a speed gun set up to clock pitchers' velocity) the Washington ace pitched in the range of 69-73 mph and the Michigan pitcher just broke 70 mph. Both had good changeups. The rest of the pitchers, including Montana's Michaela Hood, clocked fairly consistently in the 65-68 mph range. I read in the Great Falls Tribune, that CMR's Achenbach consistently clocked in the 65-66 range, with what was described as a devastating upper 50s changeup. That puts her raw "stuff" on a par with all but the top tier pitchers in Seattle. Signs of a very powerful pitching staff at Montana for next season... and I'm including Colleen Driscoll and Maddy Stensby, both of whom pitched well through conference play.

I do not know about the Great Falls Tribune source to Tristin throwing 65-66 MPH. I made the trip up to watch CMR and I was sitting right behind the Griz coaches. Coach Meuchel and Coach Pinkerton had a radar and were getting her on the radar at 61-63. Although very good, stilla long way from 65-66.

I do not know about the Great Falls Tribune source to Tristin throwing 65-66 MPH. I made the trip up to watch CMR and I was sitting right behind the Griz coaches. Coach Meuchel and Coach Pinkerton had a radar and were getting her on the radar at 61-63. Although very good, stilla long way from 65-66.

No matter how you cut it the future looks VERY bright for all these Griz pitchers and the entire softball team!

logchain20 said:
Coach Meuchel and Coach Pinkerton had a radar and were getting her on the radar at 61-63. Although very good, still a long way from 65-66.

http://vimeo.com/77053531

I should worry.

WyomingGrizFan said:
logchain20 said:
Coach Meuchel and Coach Pinkerton had a radar and were getting her on the radar at 61-63. Although very good, still a long way from 65-66.

I should worry.
Are you worried because you don't think she's as good as advertised?

Coach Pinkerton has said she is going to need to get a lot stronger to be a D-1 pitcher. Her height and fundamentals are what you can't ignore.

alabamagrizzly said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
logchain20 said:

I should worry.

O.K. So Tristin Achenbach has a fastball 61-63. She's also having in her repertoire a 'Change Up,' a 'Curve Ball,' a 'Screw Ball,' a Rise Ball' and a 'Drop Curve.' Half the fun is the contest between the Battery (pitvher and catcher) against the batter. If the batter is left-handed andexpecting a fastball, and the pitcher/catcher decide to have a called 'Screw Ball,' fadeing to the left, the batter might just be swinging at air. A 'Crop Curve;' maybe an off hit ball that turns out to be a soft grounded to short.

If you have a pticher that throws 65-66 and can only throw a fastball; that pitcher is in trouble.

Capiche?

WyomingGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
logchain20 said:

I should worry.

O.K. So Tristin Achenbach has a fastball 61-63. She's also having in her repertoire a 'Change Up,' a 'Curve Ball,' a 'Screw Ball,' a Rise Ball' and a 'Drop Curve.' Half the fun is the contest between the Battery (pitvher and catcher) against the batter. If the batter is left-handed andexpecting a fastball, and the pitcher/catcher decide to have a called 'Screw Ball,' fadeing to the left, the batter might just be swinging at air. A 'Crop Curve;' maybe an off hit ball that turns out to be a soft grounded to short.

If you have a pticher that throws 65-66 and can only throw a fastball; that pitcher is in trouble.

Capiche?

Thank you for the lesson in softball strategy. I was just confused on your statement wether you were concerned about Achenbach being a good pitcher or not. Now I'm less confused.

Back