• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Five Beers to Try Before I Die

How can you stop at five.

6. New Belgium 1554
7. Dos Equis Amber
8. Bayern Dopplebock
9. Big Sky Oatmeal Stout
10. Nostalgic memories favorite – The Original Leinenkugle --” I'll have a Leinie” (rhymes with heinie). Midwestern distribution before they were bought out by the International Beer Cartel.

Someone mentioned a craving for Coors when you had to go out of state to get it. Friends would bring back supplies to share from their travels. Once it was available in MT, it kind of lost its novelty or maybe it just wasn't that good to begin with. Eventually it also got sucked up by Big Beer.

Who's had the Ivan the terrible barrel aged? I picked up a bottle and need to decide if I'm aging it or drinking it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Allezchat said:
Who's had the Ivan the terrible barrel aged? I picked up a bottle and need to decide if I'm aging it or drinking it.

I had this years.. it was good. I have two or three bottles from last year in the closet.. waiting.

Not a fan of the wretched, unpalatable slop, but if you want some serious lore on the raw power of beer, especially in the great state of Montanny, check this out:

The legend of the University of Montana, “Aber Day Keggers” in 1970s Missoula requires willful suspension of disbelief. A party of over 10,000 people in a town that had less than 30,000 at the time?

Only in Montana could such event actually occur. And apparently it really did.

The Guinness Book of World Records awarded the event the world title for Largest Charity Kegger. The consumption of over 1,100 kegs allegedly caused a regional shortage of beer in surrounding states. In 2010, Montana PBS aired an 85-minutedocumentary on the kegger.

Full tale here:
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/how-a-montana-congressional-nominees-famous-band-helped-set-the-world-record-for-partying/

Fat Bruno said:
Not a fan of the wretched, unpalatable slop, but if you want some serious lore on the raw power of beer, especially in the great state of Montanny, check this out:

The legend of the University of Montana, “Aber Day Keggers” in 1970s Missoula requires willful suspension of disbelief. A party of over 10,000 people in a town that had less than 30,000 at the time?

The Guinness Book of World Records awarded the event the world title for Largest Charity Kegger. The consumption of over 1,100 kegs allegedly caused a regional shortage of beer in surrounding states. In 2010, Montana PBS aired an 85-minutedocumentary on the kegger.

Full tale here:
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/how-a-montana-congressional-nominees-famous-band-helped-set-the-world-record-for-partying/

Oh, they occurred. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Top O' the Feckin' Mornin' from Feckin Brewery

9.5%

If you're in Helena, they have it at Dave's on Montana... I don't know anywhere else, their site doesn't have a locator

Black Butte porter is a mainstay, year round for me... Obsidian Stout from the same brewer as well

Polygamy porter tastes like Black Butte to me... "Why have just one??? Bring some home to the Wives"

Seasonal beers I like are Split Shot and Night Owl Pumpkin ale from Elysian brewing

There is a S ton of Micros I'm not thinking of right now, but I can't fathom drinking a piss water lager Foreign owned Budweiser or Miller again

The Top O' the Feckin Mornin was good. I had some on St. Paddy's day that I bought when I was in Missoula recently. Summer Sun and Warden's had it. Good stuff.

If you like the Night Owl you should try the Elysian pumpkins in 22oz bottles. Dark of the Moon, Pumpkacino, and Imperial Pumpkin Ale.

AZGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:

Full tale here:

Yes they did but hard to remember.

Hell can you remember all the great bands?

Allezchat said:
The Top O' the Feckin Mornin was good. I had some on St. Paddy's day that I bought when I was in Missoula recently. Summer Sun and Warden's had it. Good stuff.

If you like the Night Owl you should try the Elysian pumpkins in 22oz bottles. Dark of the Moon, Pumpkacino, and Imperial Pumpkin Ale.

Cool story, the Brewmaster for "Top O' the Feckin Mornin" is a UM Alum. We are buddies and met in Jesse Hall. His brewhouse which is in Oregon City threw a big tailgate party across the road from the PSU football stadium in a vacant bar. He's not huge football fan really but at one point he held the all time high school rushing record for the state of Oregon. He attended one walk on practice with the Griz....and.... liked beer better.

AZGrizFan said:
Fat Bruno said:

Full tale here:

I lost several days of my life at Aber Day. Planted a few trees too. As far as great bands, Bonnie Raitt was a regular. Probably drank half a keg herself over the years. And, of course, the Mission Mountain Wood Band.

Allezchat said:

I haven't seen any others in Helena, but I always search blank brewers' website when I try a new brew, and foggily remember they have said pumpkin lineup...

Drank a few Switchback Stouts at Tamarack this weekend and they were decent, but my real question is can even a Bison fan single-handedly finish off an order of Keg Nachos?

I have my doubts...

Allezchat said:
No I guess what I should've said was I consider 65 to be a base level more or less for an ipa and imagination's are 40 and 65.

Any beer below 60 IBU's should be considered a Pale Ale. That being said I am sure most of you have noticed that whatever the IBU numbers they don't all taste the same.

Knowing the IBUs of the beer only gives real meaning when you also know the OG. 50 IBUs might taste fairly bitter if the OG were only 1.035, but would be less pronounced if the OG were, say, 1.060.

Allezchat said:
I'm an OG.......

giphy.gif

polsongrizz said:
Allezchat said:
No I guess what I should've said was I consider 65 to be a base level more or less for an ipa and imagination's are 40 and 65.

Any beer below 60 IBU's should be considered a Pale Ale. That being said I am sure most of you have noticed that whatever the IBU numbers they don't all taste the same.

Knowing the IBUs of the beer only gives real meaning when you also know the OG. 50 IBUs might taste fairly bitter if the OG were only 1.035, but would be less pronounced if the OG were, say, 1.060.

Holy crap - you have a friggin PhD in beer. Congratulations - wow, much respect. :clap:

SoldierGriz said:
polsongrizz said:
Allezchat said:

Holy crap - you have a friggin PhD in beer. Congratulations - wow, much respect. :clap:

Dude.. trust me, it gets really annoying after a while. lol

SoldierGriz said:
polsongrizz said:
Allezchat said:

After coming home from overseas I realized that the vast majority of beer in this country sucked. At that point I took up brewing and didn't stop for close to twenty years.
I also like to drink so... :thumb:

MrTitleist said:
SoldierGriz said:
polsongrizz said:
Allezchat said:

Dude.. trust me, it gets really annoying after a while. lol

As he makes plans to hit up my place for some of the best beers on the planet...LOL

Back