• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Romar Fired at Washington

The Tacoma News Tribune has compiled a brief bio on the "Top Seven Names," most discussed to replace Lorenzo Romar at Washington.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/pac-12/university-of-washington/article138767958.html

It would be a shame for UM to lose DeCuire now. I think the team is on the verge of a break out year. The pieces seem to be in place. There is a lot of talent on the team. Too much out front and not enough in the post this year, but still huge talent, especially out front. Hopefully, the bigger guys are the bench are in fact as good as rumored.

Don't know why this year wasn't better, but I suppose it was due to not having enough posts, having 3's having to play 4 (and probably not loving it), having problems with too many good players out front and not enough playing/starting time, Dunn not being fully healthy, and whatever else was causing the one-game suspensions. Could play at a high level at times, but couldn't sustain it for multiple games and couldn't hold leads in the second half.

Is it possible to have too much talent at certain positions? And that can lead to unity/motivation issues.

...I think they first look......at Gregg Marshall.....
...if that doesn't work out.....I think Musselman....
...not sure....where they go....from there.....

Here's the SEATTLE TIMES' list of eight potential coaching candidates for the Washington Huskies head job after Lorenzo Romar was fired earlier this week.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-huskies/eight-potential-candidates-to-replace-lorenzo-romar-as-washingtons-basketball-coach/

I think the Pac12 may eventually be a landing place for TD. I just think he has a couple of things to add to his resume. If he achieves those it will be great for our program and for him.

One other problem DeCuire has right now. The last two Big Sky coaches to go to the Pac 12 have not fared well--Bone to Washington State, and our own Wayne Tinkle to Oregon State. I still have faith--well, hope--that Tinks can turn it around, but one conference win in his third year is not a good sign, especially to Pac 12 A.D.'s not wanting to take risks.

citay said:
One other problem DeCuire has right now. The last two Big Sky coaches to go to the Pac 12 have not fared well--Bone to Washington State, and our own Wayne Tinkle to Oregon State. I still have faith--well, hope--that Tinks can turn it around, but one conference win in his third year is not a good sign, especially to Pac 12 A.D.'s not wanting to take risks.

Oregon State has one of the best players nationally committed and a couple more in the wings. I wish I could remember his name but he is (or was) being sought by nearly every power playing team...they should do ok next year. But Coach K at Utah might be feeling the heat after losing in the NIT first round.

GrizLA said:
citay said:

Oregon State has one of the best players nationally committed and a couple more in the wings. I wish I could remember his name but he is (or was) being sought by nearly every power playing team...they should do ok next year. But Coach K at Utah might be feeling the heat after losing in the NIT first round.

They have 2 2017 SR's who have signed LOI's already. They are 4 Star, Ethan Thompson, 6'5" SG, who is ranked the #55 player in the nation. The other player is, SG/SF Zach Reichle, 6'4". He is a 3 star recruit. The other 3 2017 HS SR's he is in competition for are all 3 Star players as well. The community really likes Wayne, as does the student body, alumni, and faculty. He would have to have a quite terrible season next season to lose his job. I am hearing, he is pretty safe through the 2018/19 season. Then again, all it takes is one asshole big time booster to cost a coach a job. It is a cut throat business.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Washington hires Mike Hopkins, a longtime assistant from Syracuse. He was the heir apparent to Boeheim, but seems got tired of waiting.
And, just a bit ago, Syracuse announced an extension to Boeheim's contract. Wonder what the internal politics looks like on that.

Travis DeCuire is reported to be interviewing at Cal. Here's a link of four (or five) who are reported to be interviewing for the position.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2017/3/20/14984408/travis-decuire-jim-les-eric-musselman-russell-turner-california-golden-bears

grizzlyjournal said:
Travis DeCuire is reported to be interviewing at Cal. Here's a link of four (or five) who are reported to be interviewing for the position.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2017/3/20/14984408/travis-decuire-jim-les-eric-musselman-russell-turner-california-golden-bears

Interviewing for open positions is a very common thing in the coaching profession.

Proud Griz Man said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Interviewing for open positions is a very common thing in the coaching profession.
On the hiring side that's called "due diligence" ... and it's a plus for them that TD is black. I know, that sounds racist, but it is the current reality -- and actually a good thing that minorities are at least getting interviews.

From the job-seeker side: Why wouldn't you look at a position where you might make 5 or 10 times as much money and be part of a prestige conference. You'd be an idiot not to, no matter how much "unfinished business" you have where you are?

Back