• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky officially moving to 20-game conference season

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Big Sky moving to 20-game basketball schedule
https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-moving-to-20-game-basketball-schedule/
Home and home. This is best and fairest. Now the challenge will be to keep the BSC from adding more teams and screwing it up again.

But doesn't this diminish non-conference games, where we have a chance to increase our RPI against superior competition, while banking some high-revenue games? I mean, conference games are a tree falling over in the Big Sky. Do they even make a sound?

citay said:
But doesn't this diminish non-conference games, where we have a chance to increase our RPI against superior competition, while banking some high-revenue games? I mean, conference games are a tree falling over in the Big Sky. Do they even make a sound?

Agree

citay said:
On the other hand, isn't that an incentive to schedule "up"? Northern Colorado, Idaho, Montana State all seem to have pretty good out of conf games coming up. They make a sound when it counts..the tournament.

citay said:
I don't think that's going to be an issue. In the first week of the season last year, Big Sky teams played such powerhouses as Walla Walla, Whitworth, Embry Riddle, West Coast Baptist, Notre Dame de Namur (not the Notre Dame), Williamette and UM-Western. Simply drop two of the non-D-I games from everybody's schedule and you're good to go.

Bengal visitor said:
citay said:
I don't think that's going to be an issue. In the first week of the season last year, Big Sky teams played such powerhouses as Walla Walla, Whitworth, Embry Riddle, West Coast Baptist, Notre Dame de Namur (not the Notre Dame), Williamette and UM-Western. Simply drop two of the non-D-I games from everybody's schedule and you're good to go.

Well the point of those games is to get a home game in November and December. Since each team gets an extra home game out of this set up they can likely cut ONE, but not two, of the non D1 games so I'm guessing that on average teams cut one non D1 game and one WCC/Summit type game. The Pac 12/Big 12 games will mostly be unaffected by this since they're very crucial to teams bottom lines and help RPI and exposure of programs.

citay said:

I thought the opposite. Most Big Sky schools have difficulty scheduling more than a cpl "quality" non-conference games. I rather have 2 more Big Sky games and drop the Embry-Riddles of the world from the schedule. BTW, NAU actually lost to Embry Riddle by 12 last year, so NAU might be glad to drop them from the schedule. lol

Back