• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This is interesting

HelenaHandBasket

https://deadspin.com/conference-usa-is-completely-revamping-its-conference-s-1826386373

Tired of low seeds and early exits from the NCAA tournament, Conference USA is ready to try something different.

Next season, C-USA’s men’s basketball schedule will look nothing like that of any other Division I conference. Instead of releasing a hard-set regular season conference schedule, C-USA will seed its teams after the opening 14 games of the conference slate. The conference will then face its best teams off against one another over the next four games, with the end goal of placing multiple teams in the NCAA tournament and securing higher seeds for those teams. It’s the old “iron sharpens iron” adage, basically, with some added strength-of-schedule boost built in.

Does the package include that the winner goes to the dance ? Sounds like the conference tourney starts early. Maybe

It's a great idea for a league like Conference USA, which could actually produce more than one tournament-worthy team a year. But it wouldn't float in the Big Sky -- for one thing, the league went to a pre-determined tournament site and all-inclusive tournament to PREVENT last minute travel costs for teams. This would increase travel expenses considerably for the first couple of weeks of 1 vs. 4, etc. And no matter how the Big Sky re-jiggers its conference schedule, the league is never going to get more than one bid. A pity, because I love the concept.

This is a great idea for a conference that has a history of getting multiple bids. Unfortunately, barring a miracle and dramatic improvement in the conference, it will be a 1 bid conference. Under the circumstances, the Big Sky has to focus on what can be done to be best represented in the NCAA tournament. Either have the conference tournament be among the top 4 to 6 teams from the regular season. Reward the regular seed champion and/or the top 2 teams, with advancement all the way to the semi finals.

The conference can only hope to upset the big boys in out of conference play. I am so sick of the conference rewarding every team with a conference tournament bid.

the league went to a pre-determined tournament site and all-inclusive tournament to PREVENT last minute travel costs for teams.

Huh. I thought it was to give "all student athletes a 'championship experience'".

#bsc

I'm almost positive that when the league announced the tournament being moved to reNO that the line was to give all student athletes the opportunity to experience $1.99 shrimp cocktail.

EverettGriz said:
the league went to a pre-determined tournament site and all-inclusive tournament to PREVENT last minute travel costs for teams.

Huh. I thought it was to give "all student athletes a 'championship experience'".

#bsc

It was always about the money, only 8 teams get to compete for the volleyball championship so obviously it not's that important to the league.

DPGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

#bsc

It was always about the money, only 8 teams get to compete for the volleyball championship so obviously it not's that important to the league.

Well of COURSE it was always about the money. But the league has never admitted that. They claim it happened because all student athletes deserve a championship experience (except those in every other sport hosted by the conference).

That said, although the move was completely about money, if you believe the reason was to save member schools some cash, I have an uncle who is a prince in Nigeria who has a killer business deal for you.

#bsc

EverettGriz said:
DPGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

#bsc

Well of COURSE it was always about the money. But the league has never admitted that. They claim it happened because all student athletes deserve a championship experience (except those in every other sport hosted by the conference).

That said, although the move was completely about money, if you believe the reason was to save member schools some cash, I have an uncle who is a prince in Nigeria who has a killer business deal for you.

#bsc

So league officials lied, it wasn't about shrimp cocktail?

Oh, make no mistake: shrimp cocktail was a major consideration in their decision. I mean, it’s a buck ninety nine, after all!

Until the Nine Mile House burnt down, you could get a shrimp cocktail free with a meal. But did love those in Reno. Boise has some good Basque restaurants but it won't be like Reno.

As for basketball, this is certainly an interesting idea. I'd like to see a mandate from the NCAA that would promote a split in conference seasons with two or three weeks in the middle devoted to OOC play, sort of like what the MLB does with interleague play.

Back