• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Recruiting Review

citygriz

Okay, the recruiting season has come to a sputtering, seemingly wobbly, end. The big we thought we could plug right in next year jilts us for Rice. We wind up with a mystery shrouded in a cloud inside a bag in the attic when in comes to young Mr. Patterson. The jaycee big we're hoping for to replace Nicholas (another disappointment) has yet to materialize, and may not. So. Be. It.

And yet if you step back, I think we just witnessed one helluva recruiting year. Two young bigs with promise, plus a third as a tentative commit. A potential future star in Eddy Egun, not to mention a transfer from Oregon State. Four signees with great potential, in my opinion.

Notice too how this staff, whether intentional or not, is following the first rule of Business (that is, after Cash is Worth Ten Mothers): Cut Your Loss. You could see Besovic was not going to work out, Bevens couldn't play defense, and Espe was good but not great. All gone, in return for these new recruits who I think all have much higher ceilings. The overall size and talent of this roster has been enhanced greatly this recruiting season--and we might still get our transfer big.

citay said:
Okay, the recruiting season has come to a sputtering, seemingly wobbly, end. The big we thought we could plug right in next year jilts us for Rice. We wind up with a mystery shrouded in a cloud inside a bag in the attic when in comes to young Mr. Patterson. The jaycee big we're hoping for to replace Nicholas (another disappointment) has yet to materialize, and may not. So. Be. It.

And yet if you step back, I think we just witnessed one helluva recruiting year. Two young bigs with promise, plus a third as a tentative commit. A potential future star in Eddy Egun, not to mention a transfer from Oregon State. Four signees with great potential, in my opinion.

Notice too how this staff, whether intentional or not, is following the first rule of Business (that is, after Cash is Worth Ten Mothers): Cut Your Loss. You could see Besovic was not going to work out, Bevens couldn't play defense, and Espe was good but not great. All gone, in return for these new recruits who I think all have much higher ceilings. The overall size and talent of this roster has been enhanced greatly this recruiting season--and we might still get our transfer big.

It has definitely been a weird off season but I agree Citay. A fun new crop of Griz.

flatheadgriz406 said:
citay said:

It has definitely been a weird off season but I agree Citay. A fun new crop of Griz.

I think it would be a huge benefit to have Carter and Anderson redshirt. Players with potential but need a tad polishing. Carter could use it for conditioning and Anderson could use it to expand his game. I think a lot of that will depend on Kramer and Jones both being able to contribute consistently. I don’t think Egun will redshirt. I think the coaches did pretty good here especially considering a few transfers burned us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
flatheadgriz406 said:
citay said:

I think it would be a huge benefit to have Carter and Anderson redshirt. Players with potential but need a tad polishing. Carter could use it for conditioning and Anderson could use it to expand his game. I think a lot of that will depend on Kramer and Jones both being able to contribute consistently. I don’t think Egun will redshirt. I think the coaches did pretty good here especially considering a few transfers burned us.

Plus if Dorsey is/stays healthy, that's like getting a new guy that the team already knows. I'm excited to see how this team plays. I agree that Egun probably will not redshirt, but also hope there are some (good) surprises in store that are yet to come.

dayday said:
flatheadgriz406 said:
citay said:

With Manuel already redshirting that would give us three redshirts. That doesn't leave us with a lot of bodies, especially since we haven't even filled our last scholarship spot yet.

DPGriz said:
dayday said:
flatheadgriz406 said:
citay said:

With Manuel already redshirting that would give us three redshirts. That doesn't leave us with a lot of bodies, especially since we haven't even filled our last scholarship spot yet.

I disagree. Travis ran a fairly short rotation last year with 8 sometimes just 7 towards the end. With Kramer coming off redshirt plus Dorsey. We should be okay especially if Jones surprises and contributes. I would say redshirt Anderson and Carter then only burn the RS if there is a injury.

I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t add my 12 paragraphs to this.

I think there are a couple of things going on within college basketball and at the UM that seems to be playing out favorably for DeCuire. I guess in an ideal world the program has 9 or 10 guy rotation defined by very specific roles. I just don’t think that is the nature of college basketball right now.

I don’t think you can be that effective at the mid-major level looking for 9 contributors. In fact the back-end of the bench is and always had been matchup or condition specific. If you take the NBA model, coaches are getting better and better at running out combo’s that focus on +/- rather than a rigid rotation pattern.

DeCuires roster construction reflects that narrative. I don’t know if it was intentional, part of it seems to be, but what it has done is create a 7-8 man rotation that has multiple iterations and just not position specific rotations.

Rorie, Falls, and Oguine are all competent ballhandlers. All of them can shoot, all of them can create their own shot, and are good passers. Morehead, Pridgett, and Akoh are swing guys that can play 2-3 positions, stretch the defense and defend 2-3 positions. Morehead and Pridgett are quasi-3 and D guys, and I believe Dorsey fits that model.

You need to have post guys who can defend the pick and roll, which has become a staple of college offenses in recent years than the complex patterns of the 1980’s.

So what is my point?

Rather than having four specific subs, and aren’t collectively a good fit for offensive and defensive chemistry depending who is on the floor, why not have guys 7 that are interchangeable and you don’t have offensive or defensive drop off. You don’t need 5 true posts in your program, you need three. You don’t need a pure point guard, but rather four or five guys that can facilitate a few sets and pick and rolls from differing spots on the floor.

Yes it does help to have a guy is a sharpshooter off the bench and a big to absorb fouls. But if they are minus players on the floor (either they can’t make stops, or they can help offensive cohesiveness) what is the point of using them. That was entirely the issue with Besovic, Nicholas and Bevens. Nicholas’ issues were less about free throws, yes he was horrid, but rather he wasn’t good offensive pair with either Fab or Akoh and he wasn’t a good pick and roll defender.

I think 2 guys can absorb minutes just as much as two or three more guys can. Again I think it is quality of minutes more than quantity of minutes carried by your subs.

What will be interesting this year, is how Dorsey and Kramer fit into the mix. I seriously doubt they redshirt the Australian kid, because he is an already adept pick and roll post. Jones is in the Pridgett utility roll type makeup, and if it were my guess Pridgett plays that way again this year. Remains to be seen if Dorsey’s hip can handle the stress early on in the year, and might necessitate a reserve roll. If that is the case, I could see them trying to put Kramer in and seeing if he and Akoh can work well together in whatever role.

As for recruiting, I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t pick up a JC grad who can shoot. I don’t think it is a necessity but for me it would be the one addition that makes sense. I don’t think they’ll lack for perimeter scoring threats, but I think a person could make the argument that is a roll this year for someone like Bevens. I just don’t think it is a requirement, and with the roster makeup, I could see DeCuire holding onto that extra roster slot for next year.

I think I am at my 12 paragraph limit.

Grizfan-24 said:
I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t add my 12 paragraphs to this.

I think there are a couple of things going on within college basketball and at the UM that seems to be playing out favorably for DeCuire. I guess in an ideal world the program has 9 or 10 guy rotation defined by very specific roles. I just don’t think that is the nature of college basketball right now.

I don’t think you can be that effective at the mid-major level looking for 9 contributors. In fact the back-end of the bench is and always had been matchup or condition specific. If you take the NBA model, coaches are getting better and better at running out combo’s that focus on +/- rather than a rigid rotation pattern.

DeCuires roster construction reflects that narrative. I don’t know if it was intentional, part of it seems to be, but what it has done is create a 7-8 man rotation that has multiple iterations and just not position specific rotations.

Rorie, Falls, and Oguine are all competent ballhandlers. All of them can shoot, all of them can create their own shot, and are good passers. Morehead, Pridgett, and Akoh are swing guys that can play 2-3 positions, stretch the defense and defend 2-3 positions. Morehead and Pridgett are quasi-3 and D guys, and I believe Dorsey fits that model.

You need to have post guys who can defend the pick and roll, which has become a staple of college offenses in recent years than the complex patterns of the 1980’s.

So what is my point?

Rather than having four specific subs, and aren’t collectively a good fit for offensive and defensive chemistry depending who is on the floor, why not have guys 7 that are interchangeable and you don’t have offensive or defensive drop off. You don’t need 5 true posts in your program, you need three. You don’t need a pure point guard, but rather four or five guys that can facilitate a few sets and pick and rolls from differing spots on the floor.

Yes it does help to have a guy is a sharpshooter off the bench and a big to absorb fouls. But if they are minus players on the floor (either they can’t make stops, or they can help offensive cohesiveness) what is the point of using them. That was entirely the issue with Besovic, Nicholas and Bevens. Nicholas’ issues were less about free throws, yes he was horrid, but rather he wasn’t good offensive pair with either Fab or Akoh and he wasn’t a good pick and roll defender.

I think 2 guys can absorb minutes just as much as two or three more guys can. Again I think it is quality of minutes more than quantity of minutes carried by your subs.

What will be interesting this year, is how Dorsey and Kramer fit into the mix. I seriously doubt they redshirt the Australian kid, because he is an already adept pick and roll post. Jones is in the Pridgett utility roll type makeup, and if it were my guess Pridgett plays that way again this year. Remains to be seen if Dorsey’s hip can handle the stress early on in the year, and might necessitate a reserve roll. If that is the case, I could see them trying to put Kramer in and seeing if he and Akoh can work well together in whatever role.

As for recruiting, I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t pick up a JC grad who can shoot. I don’t think it is a necessity but for me it would be the one addition that makes sense. I don’t think they’ll lack for perimeter scoring threats, but I think a person could make the argument that is a roll this year for someone like Bevens. I just don’t think it is a requirement, and with the roster makeup, I could see DeCuire holding onto that extra roster slot for next year.

I think I am at my 12 paragraph limit.

I thought that was too short.

All other things being equal, I'd be for redshirting both Anderson and Carter. But I don't see all things being equal next year, at least for Montana, because of Oguine and Rorie. These are two exceptional talents, a rare pair for a Montana backcourt. I believe they'll take us as far next year as our bigs permit, which is why I'd like to see one of the kids--probably Carter-- suffer through a true freshman year, in the hopes that by tournament time he'd be able to contribute big time, as that big kid did for Loyola of Chicago.

He looks like a quality 6-4 guard (grad transfer) who had committed to Nevada until they had to back out because several kids who planned to go pro decided to return to Nevada. He appears to have also been recruited by Texas A&M and Wichita State before committing to Nevada.

He played at Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

Wichita and Texas Tech aren't really schools we have much of a chance against going head to head for a recruit. Amin seems like he'd be a great get (big numbers at Corpus Christi) but if he were to stay in a small conference then I think he'd for somewhere with a bigger role available for a scoring guard. He's also not a particularly good shooter so it's really not a natural fit for us.

Obviously if he wants to come here he seems to have the talent to make it work and really help us but this seems like a major pipe-dream for a number of reasons.

^^^^^^

Thanks guys. I am a hopeless dreamer who was thinking of trying to make contact with him to put in a good word for us. :) Makes sense what you guys are saying though.

CItay...I think if we land this D-eleven player, it's a solid win for the future and this thread can be closed!

PrettyGrizzy4Life said:
^^^^^^

Thanks guys. I am a hopeless dreamer who was thinking of trying to make contact with him to put in a good word for us. :) Makes sense what you guys are saying though.
I wouldn't recommend that; pretty sure it might be considered a recruiting violation.

grizband said:
PrettyGrizzy4Life said:
^^^^^^

I wouldn't recommend that; pretty sure it might be considered a recruiting violation.
Only if hot dogs are involved or maybe not.

Back