• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz Get Big Time Player

That is a big time recruiting score.

HookedonGriz said:
http://gogriz.com/news/2018/5/15/womens-basketball-fatkin-to-join-lady-griz.aspx

Fatkin made another visit to Missoula in April, 16 months after her first, and accepted coach Shannon Schweyen's scholarship offer shortly thereafter. She'll have to sit a season but will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Fatkin will arrive in Missoula on Saturday, begin summer school on Monday and join her future teammates for workouts every chance she gets.
"Everything was great the first time around. I fell in love the first time I visited," said Fatkin. "I'm glad I had this year of experience, but I'm thankful to have the opportunity to go to Montana. I'm happy they took my phone call.

griz5700 said:
gogriz articles are the worst. THE WORST.

No, not the WORST. the Missoulian was WORST.

The jury is out whether this player is big time or not. 2 points and 1.1 rebounds in approximately 12 minutes per game, and made only 55.3% from the free throw line. This was for playing for one of the worst teams in the pac12.

TrueGriz said:
griz5700 said:

The jury is out whether this player is big time or not. 2 points and 1.1 rebounds in approximately 12 minutes per game, and made only 55.3% from the free throw line. This was for playing for one of the worst teams in the pac12.

This is true, but reading that article, offense didn't seem to fit her strengths, so perhaps just needs a change of scenery and new offensive scheme.

TrueGriz said:
griz5700 said:

I'll take this any day.....big time get:

FRESHMAN (2017-18)
Appeared in 28 games and averaged 11.8 minutes per game ... Played 17 minutes and made the most of them with 11 points and three three-pointers against San Diego State (12/3), both season-highs ... Had seven points and six rebounds on the road against Oregon State (1/14) ... Dished out five assists in a win against Colorado (1/19).

HIGH SCHOOL
Fatkin is a guard out of Snohomish, Wash., who was rated as a three-star guard by ESPN.com and rated the 30th-best guard in the country. During her junior year, she helped Glacier Peak High School to a 23-2 record by scoring 14.3 points per game while dishing out seven assists, grabbing three rebounds and averaging two steals per game while also setting the school record for most assists in a season. Glacier Peak advanced all the way to the State Championship, but fell just short. Fatkin was named Player of the Year by the Everett Herald and was also a three-time All-Conference selection. Additionally, Fatkin was named All-State her senior year. She played club ball for The Way to Win and had a record of 46-8.

PERSONAL
Fatkin is the daughter of Gary and Sherri Fatkin and has one older brother, Alex ... Was named to the National Honor Society three times during her high school career and plans to major in the medical field.

Way back in 1966, an all-black UTEP team defeated an all-white Kentucky team in the NCAA championship game. By that the time of that game, Montana had already recruited several black players, including the inimitable Ray Lucien. But after that game, several of the larger schools, especially in the ACC, got the message in big flashing Vegas-style neon-lights: It's time to recruit black players.

Flash forward some fifty years, and it would be unthinkable at any level of basketball, whether women's basketball, men's basketball or pro basketball, to have a championship team without black players. Tonight, when the Warriors face off against Houston, both teams will feature all-black starting lineups.

Come to think of it, could we have made the NCAA tournament with Rorie, Oguine, Akoh and Pridgett? Are we excited about our newest recruits, Egun and Manuel? You tell me.

So now we come to the Lady Griz, one of my early passions that has absolutely dissipated. Frankly, my dears, I no longer give a damn. Because until they broaden their recruiting base, and seek diversity on their coaching staff, there will always be a ceiling to this program. Not a glass ceiling, a diversity ceiling. And the evidence, as you look at basketball everywhere, is overwhelming on my side.

HookedonGriz said:
TrueGriz said:
griz5700 said:

FRESHMAN (2017-18)
Appeared in 28 games and averaged 11.8 minutes per game ... Played 17 minutes and made the most of them with 11 points and three three-pointers against San Diego State (12/3), both season-highs ... Had seven points and six rebounds on the road against Oregon State (1/14) ... Dished out five assists in a win against Colorado (1/19).

HIGH SCHOOL
Fatkin is a guard out of Snohomish, Wash., who was rated as a three-star guard by ESPN.com and rated the 30th-best guard in the country. During her junior year, she helped Glacier Peak High School to a 23-2 record by scoring 14.3 points per game while dishing out seven assists, grabbing three rebounds and averaging two steals per game while also setting the school record for most assists in a season. Glacier Peak advanced all the way to the State Championship, but fell just short. Fatkin was named Player of the Year by the Everett Herald and was also a three-time All-Conference selection. Additionally, Fatkin was named All-State her senior year. She played club ball for The Way to Win and had a record of 46-8.

PERSONAL
Fatkin is the daughter of Gary and Sherri Fatkin and has one older brother, Alex ... Was named to the National Honor Society three times during her high school career and plans to major in the medical field.

So, Averaged like 2 points a game and just over 1 rebound a game. 2 games she scored over 5 points with one over 10 points. You call THAT BIG TIME? No, I do not call that big time. I also take high school stats and stuff with a grain of salt. There are current Lady Griz players that scored a lot of point in high school (more than Fatkin) but not so with the Lady Griz. So, really, the jury is still out on her. I will wait until I see her play for the Lady Griz before I consider her big time. Katie Mayhue appears to be more Big Time than Fatkin.

Also, If you call a player having 2 good games out of 28 BIG TIME, than I would say Gabi Harrington is a big time player because she did better than that her first season as a true freshman. Actually, I do have high hopes for Harrington since I saw her play when she was really hot from the 3 point line.

As for what Citay said about diversity, I would have to agree. I, though, have not given up on them. Lady Griz really could have added diversity to the coaching staff way back in 1992. I worked in the receiving department of Sears and a former black Lady Griz player that tore her ACL in 1989 was working in the shoe department. I think Citay would know what player that is. Instead of calling up Shannon Cate for the open assistant coaching job, Selvig could have called Sears to talk to this Black Shoe saleswoman to be an assistant coach. It sure would have made it easier to recruit black players to come to UM, but as it is, getting a black player to come to an all-white team is quite difficult. Anyway this particular black player was quite the point guard for the Lady Griz when she played her one season for the Lady griz in 1988-89 (Shannon's Freshman year). this player along with Shannon and Jean Mcnultie were quite the trio and would have been the same the next year if this one black player didn't blow her knee out in fall practice before the season started.

The first black player for the Lady Griz was Vicky Austin. I know that Shannon really liked playing alongside Vicky. Unhappily, as with so many Lady Griz, an injury ended her career. We did not recruit her, per se, she came in at the urging of a coach in Southern California if memory serves.

Then there was Shaunte Johnson, wife of Anthony Johnson, who came in as a package deal, favor to Tinks. Another player that we didn't really recruit.

citay said:
The first black player for the Lady Griz was Vicky Austin. I know that Shannon really liked playing alongside Vicky. Unhappily, as with so many Lady Griz, an injury ended her career. We did not recruit her, per se, she came in at the urging of a coach in Southern California if memory serves.

Then there was Shaunte Johnson, wife of Anthony Johnson, who came in as a package deal, favor to Tinks. Another player that we didn't really recruit.

Austin transferred from Long Beach State.

There was also Tianna Ware who first gave a verbal commit to I believe ASU, but the asu coach went a different direction but referred Ware to UM. So, Robin didn't really recruit any black player.

TrueGriz said:
citay said:

There was also Tianna Ware who first gave a verbal commit to I believe ASU, but the asu coach went a different direction but referred Ware to UM. So, Robin didn't really recruit any black player.

In general I don't agree wholeheartedly about not having a competitive team without black players. I think to take it to the next step, yes there is some merit, but I think that's a bit of a racy subject that shouldn't be why or why not people support a team. Now, I agree though, sitting down and looking at that list of (non)recruited players...WOW! I mean maybe the perception is location and weather, but that is a sad, sad deal if you look at it. I think if the Ladies really want to be a national name again, things will have to change on that front just for athleticism standpoint. If winning the Sky is the only goal, then no reason to make changes since it's going well as it is...

citay said:
Way back in 1966, an all-black UTEP team defeated an all-white Kentucky team in the NCAA championship game. By that the time of that game, Montana had already recruited several black players, including the inimitable Ray Lucien. But after that game, several of the larger schools, especially in the ACC, got the message in big flashing Vegas-style neon-lights: It's time to recruit black players.

Flash forward some fifty years, and it would be unthinkable at any level of basketball, whether women's basketball, men's basketball or pro basketball, to have a championship team without black players. Tonight, when the Warriors face off against Houston, both teams will feature all-black starting lineups.

Come to think of it, could we have made the NCAA tournament with Rorie, Oguine, Akoh and Pridgett? Are we excited about our newest recruits, Egun and Manuel? You tell me.

So now we come to the Lady Griz, one of my early passions that has absolutely dissipated. Frankly, my dears, I no longer give a damn. Because until they broaden their recruiting base, and seek diversity on their coaching staff, there will always be a ceiling to this program. Not a glass ceiling, a diversity ceiling. And the evidence, as you look at basketball everywhere, is overwhelming on my side.

I don't have the whole history of blacks at UM.....but Zip Rhoades (Kalispell High via Baltimore, MD) and Ray Howard (Helena, MT) were both black and recruited in 1953.

Some may recall "Rhoades"....I believe PR played GF City League hoops with his son who's a lawyer in Missoula and works in the same building as PR!

Lesser known was Chuck Rhodes.......another big time player for the Griz in the mid-50's! PR's got all his stats too, but no one else has ever seen them, and he's not listed as a letter winner. But he definitely played for the Griz. PR was going to share those stats but we've still never seen them.

TrueGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
TrueGriz said:
griz5700 said:

FRESHMAN (2017-18)

HIGH SCHOOL

PERSONAL

So, Averaged like 2 points a game and just over 1 rebound a game. 2 games she scored over 5 points with one over 10 points. You call THAT BIG TIME? No, I do not call that big time. I also take high school stats and stuff with a grain of salt. There are current Lady Griz players that scored a lot of point in high school (more than Fatkin) but not so with the Lady Griz. So, really, the jury is still out on her. I will wait until I see her play for the Lady Griz before I consider her big time. Katie Mayhue appears to be more Big Time than Fatkin.

Also, If you call a player having 2 good games out of 28 BIG TIME, than I would say Gabi Harrington is a big time player because she did better than that her first season as a true freshman. Actually, I do have high hopes for Harrington since I saw her play when she was really hot from the 3 point line.

As for what Citay said about diversity, I would have to agree. I, though, have not given up on them. Lady Griz really could have added diversity to the coaching staff way back in 1992. I worked in the receiving department of Sears and a former black Lady Griz player that tore her ACL in 1989 was working in the shoe department. I think Citay would know what player that is. Instead of calling up Shannon Cate for the open assistant coaching job, Selvig could have called Sears to talk to this Black Shoe saleswoman to be an assistant coach. It sure would have made it easier to recruit black players to come to UM, but as it is, getting a black player to come to an all-white team is quite difficult. Anyway this particular black player was quite the point guard for the Lady Griz when she played her one season for the Lady griz in 1988-89 (Shannon's Freshman year). this player along with Shannon and Jean Mcnultie were quite the trio and would have been the same the next year if this one black player didn't blow her knee out in fall practice before the season started.

You realize she's a true freshman playing in the PAC 12 correct? Just to get minutes at that level and contribute as a true Freshman is a big accomplishment. She put up 11 points in 17 minutes against PAC 12 competition. She could be a very special player for the Griz....I'd count on it.

AZDoc said:
TrueGriz said:
citay said:

In general I don't agree wholeheartedly about not having a competitive team without black players. I think to take it to the next step, yes there is some merit, but I think that's a bit of a racy subject that shouldn't be why or why not people support a team. Now, I agree though, sitting down and looking at that list of (non)recruited players...WOW! I mean maybe the perception is location and weather, but that is a sad, sad deal if you look at it. I think if the Ladies really want to be a national name again, things will have to change on that front just for athleticism standpoint. If winning the Sky is the only goal, then no reason to make changes since it's going well as it is...

Montana has been able to recruit black women for Volleyball and Tennis and the world did not end! Black tennis playing women from Texas coming to cold-weather Montana! Whodathunkit? That UM cannot recruit Black women for basketball, a sport where black women clearly excel, is beyond embarrassing for me as a UM Alumnus.
Additionally, the rest of of the U.S basketball Nation has discovered European and Aussie women can play basketball. UM? Guess not!!

Is Fatkin a higher rated recruit than Morales was, coming out of high school? IF so, she is a serious talent. I sure miss having a dominating scorer and overall talent like Morales with the Lady GRIZ.

Back