• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rorie to Gonzaga?

Plainsman

Just perusing the Gonzaga basketball Board and there is speculation, and its speculation only, that Rorie might be looking to be a grad transfer to Gonzaga. Based on him being sighted with Josh Perkins, the Zags starting PG. Apparently Perkins and Rorie have been friends for many years, so likely just another speculative rumor. But has Rorie even graduated at the U yet? He should be a redshirt Senior next year I believe but don't know if he has already obtained his undergraduate degree yet. Anyone hear anything about what is likely a flat out unfounded assumption by the Zag posters?

So, he transfers for his senior/5th year to sit out a year? Does basketball allow grad transfers? Cant imagine this is true.

Basketball does allow grad transfers to play immediately BUT I probably never should have asked about this here. As far as I can see, there is zero credible indication this is in the works. It was just being tossed around on the Zag board since the Zags lost out on Brandon Williams, a point guard, to Arizona. The Zags are, I think looking for a transfer point guard if they can find one since Williams opted for Arizona. As far as I know Rorie has provided ZERO indication this is happening. I just wondered if anyone knew if he has actually graduated at the U. That would be and absolute prerequisite to a graduate transfer situation.

Bozo JrCollegeofAG said:
Doubtful, Gonzaga already has 8 guards on roster, not including this years recruits.....

Three of the guards, Beach, Martin and Pete, are practice guards who play only in the last two minutes of games in hand. Melson graduated and Norvell is a classic shooting guard, uncomfortable with extensive ball handling duties. The Frenchman Ayayi is a taller combo/two guard. Wade was supposed to be the trusted backup to Perkins at the point but, as yet, simply hasn't shown much. He is a shorter, slower and less talented version of David Stockton. So the problem the Zags have is no currently reliable backup for Perkins, who underwent shoulder surgery this spring. Point is the only position without depth on a very strong roster. Perhaps Wade or Ayayi will surprise with their improvement but the coaches would like another option from what i've read.

The Zags fans don't think he's transferring anymore (at least last time I checked their forum). One of them pointed out that Rorie is good friends with Perkins and has known him for years, so most likely he's just visiting. Rorie has been back to Washington before and visited other D1 players he knows, so I don't think there's anything to this and would bet he's still with the Griz next year.

I do know Rorie has huge respect for TD and is loyal to him, so would be a big surprise for sure.

I also know, however, he is a gem of a point guard and could easily play at Gonzaga. I saw a tweet that none of the big sky players who had thrown their name in the hat for the draft were invited to the NBA combine. I am wondering if he got feedback wanting him to play at a higher level basketball school. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Could happen who knows! It’s closer to his home town of Tacoma! And also he has a lot of freinds down there right now! Also he is there right now so we’ll see! He is truely under rated and it’d be sad to see him go but as a fan of his I’d like to see him do whatever it takes to make it to the big leagues!

Rorie has friends all over including Gonzaga, he was also with alphonso Anderson this weekend and I don’t think he’s going to NIC. Anyone have insight about the draft situation with rorie?

Happygriz1 said:
Rorie has friends all over including Gonzaga, he was also with alphonso Anderson this weekend and I don’t think he’s going to NIC. Anyone have insight about the draft situation with rorie?

None of the four Big Sky players who declared were invited to the combine

HookedonGriz said:
Happygriz1 said:

Thank you!

HookedonGriz said:
I do know Rorie has huge respect for TD and is loyal to him, so would be a big surprise for sure.

I also know, however, he is a gem of a point guard and could easily play at Gonzaga. I saw a tweet that none of the big sky players who had thrown their name in the hat for the draft were invited to the NBA combine. I am wondering if he got feedback wanting him to play at a higher level basketball school. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Yep. That was my primary worry as well.

Just reason number 1,872,982,719 we need to get the hell out of this ...I was about to say 3rd tier conference, but c'mon...9th tier POS conference.

EverettGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Just reason number 1,872,982,719 we need to get the hell out of this ...I was about to say 3rd tier conference, but c'mon...9th tier POS conference.

Besides GU and Saint Mary's (maybe BYU too), I think the BSC is a better conference than the WCC. UM could beat every team in the WCC this coming season except GU but it would be a good game. Sure Gonzaga plays a great out of conference schedule but once they get in conference their RPI plummets every year. UM has had a great non-conference schedule the past few years and next year looks to be the same.

debellatio said:
EverettGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Besides GU and Saint Mary's (maybe BYU too), I think the BSC is a better conference than the WCC. UM could beat every team in the WCC this coming season except GU but it would be a good game. Sure Gonzaga plays a great out of conference schedule but once they get in conference their RPI plummets every year. UM has had a great non-conference schedule the past few years and next year looks to be the same.
And arguably should have beat Gonzaga when the Griz last played them - though Gonzaga was without their stellar big senior center if I remember correctly.

debellatio said:
EverettGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Perhaps. But doesn't this just further the question about why we're in the conference we're in? And like it or not, the WCC nationally has FAR greater cache than the bsc EVER will.

HookedonGriz said:
Happygriz1 said:

SInce the NBA draft dropped to only 2 rounds in 1989, only 7 Big Sky players have been drafted. Besides Stuckey and Lillard, the other 5 have played 0,2,6,18 and 19 NBA games, so it's no surprise NBA execs don't want to waste their time watching Tyler Hall, Rorie or whoever the 2 other clueless guys are.

debellatio said:
EverettGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

LMAO. WCC had 2 Top 25 ranked teams last year. Gonzaga is a perennial top 10 team now and St. Mary's was ranked last year (in Jan) and they have been ranked a cpl other yrs recently. You can't just say:"throw out those 2 ranked teams, and the BSC is better". I mean seriously! How can you even say that? The WCC was ranked 13th last year, Big Sky 25th,out of 32. NAU was #331 out of 351 schools last year. Sac was #309. WCC's worst team, Portland was #282 and WCC's 3rd place team BYU was 1 ranking spot #78 behind Montana #77 so let's be realistic. When was the last time ANY Big Sky team was ranked? Idaho in 1980? Seriously?

Back