• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Recruiting: Final Days

citygriz

The signing deadline is May 16, and we still have three open scholarships. This should be a fun two weeks.

Funny thing is, for all our sources out there, from Mslacat to Verbal Commits to Griz fans here, the final signees are usually totally surprises. To wit:
--Eddy Egun: Who knew about him until he committed, even though our staff had been in touch with him since last December? Was he on any list that we knew about?
--The transfer guard Brown, was between us and Boise, right? Nope, he signed with Grand Canyon.
--Jack Williams: Had we heard anything about him before he "committed?"

Here's a bet: That not one of the next three players to sign comes from Payton's list or from Verbal Commits.

Any takers?

AllWeatherFan said:
Needed: One hot-shooting guard and two bigs. Please send video to UM c/o "citay."

If I lose my bet, all payments will be dispersed through Player Rep's law firm.

Want to clarify a couple of things. You can still sign a player after May 16th, you just can not sign him to a Letter of Intent. Instead you sign him to a letter of grant and aid. The big difference is that it is not binding to a player, he can change his/her mind up until they show up on campus as a student, the school is locked in. The Griz and many programs have signed a fair number of players this way. Also JC recruiting generally takes longer for a variety of reason, and so do transfer player (BTW mast transfers sign a letter of grant and aid)
Also add this name to your list of players the Griz are after. Dedoch Chan a 6-7ish (sometimes listed at 6-8) PF/C in the mold of Carl Nichols. He from Mississippi Gulf Course JC where he averaged 17 points, 9 rebound,s 2 assists and shot 47%fg, 31%3fg will have 3 years eligibility. Montana State was on him early and I believe he is or has made an official visit. His recruiting has blown up in the last 2-3 weeks with a lot of schools offering him. I heard the Griz offered him shortly after Nichols'd transfer was announced.

Mslacat said:
Want to clarify a couple of things. You can still sign a player after May 16th, you just can not sign him to a Letter of Intent. Instead you sign him to a letter of grant and aid. The big difference is that it is not binding to a player, he can change his/her mind up until they show up on campus as a student, the school is locked in. The Griz and many programs have signed a fair number of players this way. Also JC recruiting generally takes longer for a variety of reason, and so do transfer player (BTW mast transfers sign a letter of grant and aid)
Also add this name to your list of players the Griz are after. Dedoch Chan a 6-7ish (sometimes listed at 6-8) PF/C in the mold of Carl Nichols. He from Mississippi Gulf Course JC where he averaged 17 points, 9 rebound,s 2 assists and shot 47%fg, 31%3fg will have 3 years eligibility. Montana State was on him early and I believe he is or has made an official visit. His recruiting has blown up in the last 2-3 weeks with a lot of schools offering him. I heard the Griz offered him shortly after Nichols'd transfer was announced.

A JUCO or Grad transfer big would be so nice for this team, there are some minutes to be had, especially if Dorsey or someone else has health issues. It's such an important year that adding depth is crucial which is why the Williams de-comit was a little disappointing, though not a huge deal if we can replace him with another experienced/talented player.

http://kevindmccarthy.com/bb/wp/blog/2018/04/19/treshon-smoots-jones-to-northern-colorado/ He was shown on verbalcommits as having an offer from the Griz.

citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Needed: One hot-shooting guard and two bigs. Please send video to UM c/o "citay."

If I lose my bet, all payments will be dispersed through Player Rep's law firm.

Ha! Still waiting PR to complete his studies on good old Chuck Rhodes...the guy that played back in the 50's.

Mslacat said:
I guess you can take Dedoch Chan off your list i am told he is looking to return to his JC in hopes of improving his recruiting prospects for next year.

Sticking with my prediction: Any signee will be a lightening bolt. A guy we never saw coming. (No I don't have any inside information.)

I am betting he looking hard at the transfer wire. He has had good luck with that before

Mslacat said:
I am betting he looking hard at the transfer wire. He has had good luck with that before

Mslacat: Astute observation. Two of our starters are transfers, Rorie from Oregon and Akoh from Fullerton. And a third, Dorsey, might have been a starter but for injuries. I'd sort of forgotten that fact.

My problem with this, from a Griz perspective, is that a transfer would have to sit out a year--the very year we will have one of the best backcourts in the history of the school, while our front line, absent Krslovic and Nicholas, will be extremely inexperienced. That's why the loss of Jack Williams hurt us, and why I'm hoping for a JC big who could play immediately. Yes, Akoh is back, but he can't do it alone, and besides, he sort of disappeared against Michigan. After that, we have to rely on two freshmen big men, Kramer and Anderson, and that's not a reliable prospect, especially when it takes time for bigs to develop.

citay said:
Mslacat said:

Mslacat: Astute observation. Two of our starters are transfers, Rorie from Oregon and Akoh from Fullerton. And a third, Dorsey, might have been a starter but for injuries. I'd sort of forgotten that fact.

My problem with this, from a Griz perspective, is that a transfer would have to sit out a year--the very year we will have one of the best backcourts in the history of the school, while our front line, absent Krslovic and Nicholas, will be extremely inexperienced. That's why the loss of Jack Williams hurt us, and why I'm hoping for a JC big who could play immediately. Yes, Akoh is back, but he can't do it alone, and besides, he sort of disappeared against Michigan. After that, we have to rely on two freshmen big men, Kramer and Anderson, and that's not a reliable prospect, especially when it takes time for bigs to develop.

Kramer will be a huge help on the board and inside defense. I too am worried about our frontline depth. Yet, when I mentioned it, someone apparently disagreed with me. Let's hope Travis has a nice surprise in store for everyone.

Thought I'd post the Montana roster, updated according to the public info we've received to this point (May 4th).

2018-19 MONTANA GRIZ HOOPS ROSTER
GUARDS
Michael Oguine — 6-2 (Sr)
Timmy Falls — 6-2 (So)
Sayeed Pridgett — 6-5 (Jr)
Ahmaad Rorie — 6-1 (Sr)
Phil Malatare — 6-0 (potential walk-on)
WINGS
Donaven Dorsey — 6-7 (Jr)
Bobby Moorehead 6-7 (Sr)
Eddy Egun — 6-4 (Fr)
FORWARDS/POST
Jamar Akoh — 6-8 (Sr)
Peter Jones — 6-8 (Fr)
Kelby Kramer — 6-10 (Fr)
Mac Anderson — 6-7 (Fr)

Two open roster positions, pending May-summer recruitment.

Here are my immediate thoughts/questions:
1. No mention of 2017-18 walkon, Peter Jones. I'm going to assume he'll return, but have NO info to indicate yes/no.. If so, he could be a candidate for scholarship. I'd heard he has fit well on the team, in practices and as a teammate.
2. No info on Ahmaad Rorie, but I'm going to consider him as Montana's returning senior floor leader.
3. Outstanding depth at the 1-2 guard positions. It'll be interesting to see how & where Eddy Egun fits into the scheme (at guard or wing), and how early he'll be able to contribute.
So... the really big, high impact questions:
4. Will a fully healthy Donaven Dorsey return ready to assume significant floor time? If so, how long will it take him to return to his high level of play? If Dorsey plays wing, the Griz are suddenly very deep there with Moorehead and occasional duty by Sayeed Pridgett in Montana's motion 5 offense.
5. Who will fill the starting vacancy left by Kryslovic? I've heard there's a very high ceiling for Kelby Kramer. Can he fill the post, allowing Akoh to function as a true power forward? Otherwise these positions are lacking depth. Will Peter Jones and Mac Anderson be able to provide competent backup?
6. Assuming two potential additional recruits, I'd think the recruitment of a proven outside sharp-shooter and a power forward/post would be the priorities.

By my count, there are three open scholarships. Five departures, and so far, two written commits.

grizzlyjournal said:
Thought I'd post the Montana roster, updated according to the public info we've received to this point (May 4th).

2018-19 MONTANA GRIZ HOOPS ROSTER
GUARDS
Michael Oguine — 6-2 (Sr)
Timmy Falls — 6-2 (So)
Sayeed Pridgett — 6-5 (Jr)
Ahmaad Rorie — 6-1 (Sr)
Phil Malatare — 6-0 (potential walk-on)
WINGS
Donaven Dorsey — 6-7 (Jr)
Bobby Moorehead 6-7 (Sr)
Eddy Egun — 6-4 (Fr)
FORWARDS/POST
Jamar Akoh — 6-8 (Sr)
Peter Jones — 6-8 (Fr)
Kelby Kramer — 6-10 (Fr)
Mac Anderson — 6-7 (Fr)

Two open roster positions, pending May-summer recruitment.

Here are my immediate thoughts/questions:
1. No mention of 2017-18 walkon, Peter Jones. I'm going to assume he'll return, but have NO info to indicate yes/no.. If so, he could be a candidate for scholarship. I'd heard he has fit well on the team, in practices and as a teammate.
2. No info on Ahmaad Rorie, but I'm going to consider him as Montana's returning senior floor leader.
3. Outstanding depth at the 1-2 guard positions. It'll be interesting to see how & where Eddy Egun fits into the scheme (at guard or wing), and how early he'll be able to contribute.
So... the really big, high impact questions:
4. Will a fully healthy Donaven Dorsey return ready to assume significant floor time? If so, how long will it take him to return to his high level of play? If Dorsey plays wing, the Griz are suddenly very deep there with Moorehead and occasional duty by Sayeed Pridgett in Montana's motion 5 offense.
5. Who will fill the starting vacancy left by Kryslovic? I've heard there's a very high ceiling for Kelby Kramer. Can he fill the post, allowing Akoh to function as a true power forward? Otherwise these positions are lacking depth. Will Peter Jones and Mac Anderson be able to provide competent backup?
6. Assuming two potential additional recruits, I'd think the recruitment of a proven outside sharp-shooter and a power forward/post would be the priorities.

Bingo!

GrizWhiz said:
By my count, there are three open scholarships. Five departures, and so far, two written commits.

Walkons almost always "walk-on" with the goal of winning a scholarship. It doesn't often happen. But my oblique reference to Peter Jones leaves open the option that -- if he returns next season -- he may do so with a scholarship in hand. This is pure conjecture on my part.

grizzlyjournal said:
GrizWhiz said:

Walkons almost always "walk-on" with the goal of winning a scholarship. It doesn't often happen. But my oblique reference to Peter Jones leaves open the option that -- if he returns next season -- he may do so with a scholarship in hand. This is pure conjecture on my part.
What happened to Niko B. besides leaving, why?

fanofzoo said:
grizzlyjournal said:
GrizWhiz said:

As mentioned in other posts: he could not play defense.

maroonandsilver said:
fanofzoo said:
grizzlyjournal said:
GrizWhiz said:

As mentioned in other posts: he could not play defense.

Had to be demonstrated in practice cause.

Back