• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Reservation kids

conradgriz

UM should hire Mike Chavez as an assistant to the AD to be a liaison between players on all Montana reservations and UM.He could certainly bring quality players and increase attendance.

The UM can’t afford to pay its teachers. The last thing it needs right now is another assistant to the AD.

conradgriz said:
UM should hire Mike Chavez as an assistant to the AD to be a liaison between players on all Montana reservations and UM.He could certainly bring quality players and increase attendance.

I have no idea what Mike is up to these days,and perhaps some could learn from his mistakes, but he was probably the most flaky/unreliable Griz of all-time, and I guarantee his involvement would not help attendance one iota. There is no cure for the attendance issue, people!

Zirg said:
conradgriz said:

I have no idea what Mike is up to these days,and perhaps some could learn from his mistakes, but he was probably the most flaky/unreliable Griz of all-time, and I guarantee his involvement would not help attendance one iota. There is no cure for the attendance issue, people!

Mike is ANYTHING but a flake. While I don't think Um needs a N/A liason, Mike is a great guy and is highly respected all across the state of Montana. He is NOT a flake or unreliable. That's just plain stupidity.

George Ferguson said:
Zirg said:
conradgriz said:

Mike is ANYTHING but a flake. While I don't think Um needs a N/A liason, Mike is a great guy and is highly respected all across the state of Montana. He is NOT a flake or unreliable. That's just plain stupidity.

Well he missed a team flight once and had several alcohol issues (open container and DUI) and was suspended or ineligible half the time during his Griz tenure. Call it what you want, but those qualify as "flaky" in my book.

Zirg said:
George Ferguson said:
Zirg said:
conradgriz said:

Well he missed a team flight once and had several alcohol issues (open container and DUI) and was suspended or ineligible half the time during his Griz tenure. Call it what you want, but those qualify as "flaky" in my book.

How many years ago were those incidents? Did he not overcome his vises and accomplish a lot, despite his personal demons and struggles? He seems to have move on with a good life since. Speaking of moving on, can we move on too, and do our best to support our GRIZ? Once a GRIZ, always a GRIZ!!!

Zirg said:
George Ferguson said:
Zirg said:
conradgriz said:

This statement is not accurate:

"was suspended or ineligible half the time during his Griz tenure"

After playing much of his frosh year, and starting some games, he did get a dui, which was later reduced to a lessor charge. He dropped out of school after that for over a year. When he came back, he wasn't eligible to play yet (because he'd dropped out of school previously). Don't think it had anything to do with being a flake. Think he played the year UM beat Nevada in the first round. I always that thought he should have played more.

I know Mike well and saw him last year here in Missoula and he was not n a good place. I can tell you with 100% certainty the staff would not go that route unless huge things changed in his life. It is a sad story and I wish him nothing but the best. Hope things are on the up and up for him.

flatheadgriz406 said:
I know Mike well and saw him last year here in Missoula and he was not n a good place. I can tell you with 100% certainty the staff would not go that route unless huge things changed in his life. It is a sad story and I wish him nothing but the best. Hope things are on the up and up for him.

Prayers out to him. Vices and demon are tough to conquer.

flatheadgriz406 said:

I saw Chavez recently in Eastern MT and he was in no state to even be considered for any Bball or athletic dept. position...to put it mildly....

Btown said:
flatheadgriz406 said:
I saw Chavez recently in Eastern MT and he was in no state to even be considered for any Bball or athletic dept. position...to put it mildly....
Man, that is a total s****er. Except for hoping for the best and offering sympathy, outsiders just feel so helpless in trying to address tragedies like this.

For something positive...... Tuff Harris is doing amazing things at Faith Chapel in Billings. Brings A LOT of Native families every week to church and bible studies, runs several programs to help people on the reservations. Tuff Harris is truly a selfless guy who lives his life to help and serve others

WaGriz4life said:
For something positive...... Tuff Harris is doing amazing things at Faith Chapel in Billings. Brings A LOT of Native families every week to church and bible studies, runs several programs to help people on the reservations. Tuff Harris is truly a selfless guy who lives his life to help and serve others

Tuff really does a lot of that kind of stuff and is very devoted. He and I are on the Native American subcommittee for ACE scholarships in Montana. The committee oversees the ACE scholarship funds going to Native American schools in MT.

PlayerRep said:
WaGriz4life said:

Tuff really does a lot of that kind of stuff and is very devoted. He and I are on the Native American subcommittee for ACE scholarships in Montana. The committee oversees the ACE scholarship funds going to Native American schools in MT.
That is awesome. Thanks for sharing that. Tuff is the man

WaGriz4life said:
PlayerRep said:
WaGriz4life said:

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing that. Tuff is the man. And you too

I will second the Tuff Harris nomination. He and his wife Mary have made an amazing impact to this state both on and off the reservation.

mtgrizrule said:
Zirg said:
George Ferguson said:
Zirg said:

How many years ago were those incidents? Did he not overcome his vises and accomplish a lot, despite his personal demons and struggles? He seems to have move on with a good life since. Speaking of moving on, can we move on too, and do our best to support our GRIZ? Once a GRIZ, always a GRIZ!!!

I am more than willing to believe that he learned from his many personal trevails as a Griz and college student and maybe he does have valuable insight to help kids in the same boat. But if we are just gonna bury our heads about his troubled time as a Griz and beat up anyone who points that out, that doesn't seem beneficial. If he is straightened out now and can offer a "cautionary tale" to a young Native that may very-well be a good thing, and his whole value will be in telling kids "don't do what I did".

Zirg said:
mtgrizrule said:
Zirg said:
George Ferguson said:

I am more than willing to believe that he learned from his many personal trevails as a Griz and college student and maybe he does have valuable insight to help kids in the same boat. But if we are just gonna bury our heads about his troubled time as a Griz and beat up anyone who points that out, that doesn't seem beneficial. If he is straightened out now and can offer a "cautionary tale" to a young Native that may very-well be a good thing, and his whole value will be in telling kids "don't do what I did".

A good place to start for you would be being honest with the facts and more careful with your statements. If you are going to start by trashing him unfairly, some are going to defend him from your attacks.

Back