• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mack Anderson

citygriz

No, don't worry. He didn't de-commit!

But as somebody who's never seen him play, I'm wondering: Do you think he can contribute as a freshman?

Normally, I'm all for a redshirt year, especially for bigs. But given that we'll have a Power Five backcourt next year, I'm ready to say, "All bigs on board regardless of class." If he is indeed as good as his high school coach claims--better than Heustis--I'm all for giving him his freshman year to make learn and grow, hoping that by playoff time he'll look more like a sophomore, as Falls did this year.

What sayeth those who have seen him?

I watched quite a few Montana H. S. games this season and concluded that the MHSA should prohibit zone defenses (which I know will never happen). Most of the games I watched (two feauring Bozeman and Anderson) featured zone from start to finish by both teams. My conclusion was that high school kids don't get the necessary developmental challenge of playing man-on D... which makes the transition to D1 hoops monumental. This does not answer your question directly, citay. But my thought is that he'd benefit greatly from a redshirt year. I still wonder how a redshirt frosh season would have helped Brian Qvale.

Mack Anderson will redshirt, and he knows that. He knows he needs to get bigger, and learn the college game. There is a huge difference from Bozeman High to D1 ball, and he will learn a lot with his redshirt year.

grizzlyjournal said:
I watched quite a few Montana H. S. games this season and concluded that the MHSA should prohibit zone defenses (which I know will never happen). Most of the games I watched (two feauring Bozeman and Anderson) featured zone from start to finish by both teams. My conclusion was that high school kids don't get the necessary developmental challenge of playing man-on D... which makes the transition to D1 hoops monumental. This does not answer your question directly, citay. But my thought is that he'd benefit greatly from a redshirt year. I still wonder how a redshirt frosh season would have helped Brian Qvale.

The answer is simple. 30 second shot clock like Washington has.

While I agree that a high school shot clock wouldn’t be a bad thing, but it isn’t because zone defenses are necessarily bad for the game. Rather in my experience it is because there are a few truths about the high school game. Most kids fashion themselves a three point shooter, and teams lack the patience to run good zone offenses. Watched a few high school games this year here in San Diego, and it is hard to find teams that aren’t hyper offensively and the shot selection reflects that reality. There is a plethora of bad offenses out there, but just as many teams who don’t play really good defense as well. Lots of gambling, blocked shot attempts and lots of spectating. Just saw some really ratty basketball this winter, and that is with a shot clock. I just don’t think that is the answer.

I am a zone defense guy. Have been and always will be. I would love to run pack-line defensive systems because I love a great help defense, you absolutely need 5 guys that are willing to commit to playing defense. Otherwise, you end up in the position that many high school coaches are, where you are playing against superior offensive or have position deficits (I coached in programs and schools were we decidedly height deficient) and then zone schemes are a better way to make your teams more competitive.

Plus with how the high school game has developed, where kids develop superior offensive 1v1 skills and don’t work within a lot of team concept offenses, the zone schemes are a great tool to disrupt and disequilibrate teams with offenses focused around picks and ball screen offenses.

Thought this fit well into this thread...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Coach_Holmquist/status/984928578713239553[/tweet]

grizzlyjournal said:

Fits better than the Zone D argument it turned into....

My 2 cents on Anderson (as someone that watched every home game the hawks have played for the past 4 years). Mack went from a 4 point a game, 2nd player off the bench, kid to now being called the "best player In Montana Highshool basketball since Josh Heustis" in a summer...He is athletic, and very long....BUT he needs time to develop I to a true D1 player. He is a project...a very good one...but still a project. The good side of this is him...He knows that he has to work on it (he figured he would maybe even be a grey shirt, so he had more time, but then he signed and that isn't an option) he will outwork any other kid that even kind of thinks they are better than him. He is not someone that ever impressed me enough to be a D1 player, but watching his growth in one summer, made me change my mind.

I’ll admit I haven’t seen him live, only highlights. But he moves very well. More athletic than most of the bigs we have brought in as freshman in recent memory. If he loves the game and commits to improving his game individually he’s got a chance.

SACCAT66 said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Fits better than the Zone D argument it turned into....

My 2 cents on Anderson (as someone that watched every home game the hawks have played for the past 4 years). Mack went from a 4 point a game, 2nd player off the bench, kid to now being called the "best player In Montana Highshool basketball since Josh Heustis" in a summer...He is athletic, and very long....BUT he needs time to develop I to a true D1 player. He is a project...a very good one...but still a project. The good side of this is him...He knows that he has to work on it (he figured he would maybe even be a grey shirt, so he had more time, but then he signed and that isn't an option) he will outwork any other kid that even kind of thinks they are better than him. He is not someone that ever impressed me enough to be a D1 player, but watching his growth in one summer, made me change my mind.

Great comments. :thumb:

grizzlyjournal said:

I need to get in Wes’s ear and make sure he keeps developing some Griz

In regards to the comment of Anderson being called "the best player in Montana High School basketball since Josh Huestis", there have been some pretty decent players since. Just looking at the Gatorade Montana Player of the year since Huestis there are some pretty talented players: This year Sam Beighle from Sentinel High School, Brendan Howard (2016-17 & 2015-16, Great Falls High School), Tres Tinkle (2014-15 & 2013-14, Hellgate High School), Daine Muller (2012-13, Skyview High School), Danny Robison (2011-12, Billings West High School), Tanner Roderick (2010-11, Bozeman High School).

LittleBear said:
I’ll admit I haven’t seen him live, only highlights. But he moves very well. More athletic than most of the bigs we have brought in as freshman in recent memory. If he loves the game and commits to improving his game individually he’s got a chance.

"So you're saying the a chance..." Lloyd Christmas...albeit it very slight.

rosco said:
In regards to the comment of Anderson being called "the best player in Montana High School basketball since Josh Huestis", there have been some pretty decent players since. Just looking at the Gatorade Montana Player of the year since Huestis there are some pretty talented players: This year Sam Beighle from Sentinel High School, Brendan Howard (2016-17 & 2015-16, Great Falls High School), Tres Tinkle (2014-15 & 2013-14, Hellgate High School), Daine Muller (2012-13, Skyview High School), Danny Robison (2011-12, Billings West High School), Tanner Roderick (2010-11, Bozeman High School).

Excellent point...Anderson not even close to those listed.

Excuse me Btown, but he better be "close to those listed" or we have a big recruiting mistake on our hands. He may not have Tinkle's potential, but I am willing to predict that he will at least have the potential of nearly all of the guys on that list.

Check out the video highlights at hudl. Athletically, he is certainly Div 1 worthy. He also has an outstanding work ethic. Those thinking he is not Div 1 caliber are going to be proven wrong. Will any of the doubters be man enough to admit they were wrong about him, in a few years?

https://www.hudl.com/profile/8815411/Mack-Anderson

mtgrizrule said:
Check out the video highlights at hudl. Athletically, he is certainly Div 1 worthy. He also has an outstanding work ethic. Those thinking he is not Div 1 caliber are going to be proven wrong. Will any of the doubters be man enough to admit they were wrong about him, in a few years?

https://www.hudl.com/profile/8815411/Mack-Anderson
Great highlights, especially for a high school senior, although not really anything you won't see by almost every center in the Frontier.

This is a play on someone who is improving hugely over the last year, with more to come. I think it's a wise gamble IMO. Upside is much larger than the floor. Also, the high school game, especially AA, is not a fair way to evaluate players of this style.

He doesn't have the fundamentals and foot work that Tres does, but not many do. He was all Pac12.

He looks like he might be a bit longer and more athletic though. Also looked good defensively. Late bloomer who looks like he could grow into a solid contributor.

Sam A. Blitz said:
He doesn't have the fundamentals and foot work that Tres does, but not many do. He was all Pac12.

He looks like he might be a bit longer and more athletic though. Also looked good defensively. Late bloomer who looks like he could grow into a solid contributor.
A lot longer and more athletic than Trace. They're nothing alike. Trace is a pure, skilled bball player. Guard skills... Shoots well, passes well, rebounds well for a not overly athletic 6'7" wing. Anderson is 6'9", very athletic/bouncy but obviously not nearly as skilled with the ball, although from Junior to Senior season made remarkable strides there. He's got a high ceiling, let's hope he approaches that ceiling [emoji108]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Back