• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Travis on Thursday radio show

717s7e

According to a radio ad I heard, Travis will be talking about the future of Griz hoops this Thursday, April 12 at 4 p.m. on ESPN radio 102.9 Missoula. You can stream the show live.

It seems to me that the recruiting this Spring will be hugely important in terms of the 2019 team, particularly at the guard position where Timmy Falls will be the only returning player (along with Sayeed).

Mattdragon said:
wait Michael isn't coming back...? (also Rorie will still be there if he doesn't get drafted or signed)

I'm sure he was referring to 2019-2020, not the upcoming 2018-19. :roll:

maroonandsilver said:
Mattdragon said:
wait Michael isn't coming back...? (also Rorie will still be there if he doesn't get drafted or signed)

I'm sure he was referring to 2019-2020, not the upcoming 2018-19. :roll:
ohhhh i see my bad, It'll be interesting who we get this year, Coach Decuire definitely has guys in mind

My bad - I should have said 2019-20, when we will be ok at the bigs (Donaven Dorsey, Karl Nicholas, Kjelby Kramer, Peter Jones, and Mack Anderson).

Michael and Ahmaad will be gone (hard to believe) as will Jamar Akoh and Bobby Moorehead. So, that leaves only Trever Spoja, Timmy Falls, and Sayeed who can play the guard position.

We will certainly need more depth - so I assume that the priority for recruiting this Spring is guards and shooters from the wing. So, it will be interesting to see what Coach has to say. I think that T&T do a nice job in their radio program of pinning guests down on details. Should be an interesting program.

I am thoroughly depressed that apparently we weren't able to sign Jamal Hartwell. From what I hear from those who watched him rat ball with the team several summers ago, his quicks were amazing as was his ability to shoot the 3. One of the assistant coaches said he would have been a spectacular recruit - plus he seemed like a level-headed quality guy. George Mason got a good one - dang it.

717s7e said:
My bad - I should have said 2019-20, when we will be ok at the bigs (Donaven Dorsey, Karl Nicholas, Kjelby Kramer, Peter Jones, and Mack Anderson).

Michael and Ahmaad will be gone (hard to believe) as will Jamar Akoh and Bobby Moorehead. So, that leaves only Trever Spoja, Timmy Falls, and Sayeed who can play the guard position.

We will certainly need more depth - so I assume that the priority for recruiting this Spring is guards and shooters from the wing. So, it will be interesting to see what Coach has to say. I think that T&T do a nice job in their radio program of pinning guests down on details. Should be an interesting program.

I am thoroughly depressed that apparently we weren't able to sign Jamal Hartwell. From what I hear from those who watched him rat ball with the team several summers ago, his quicks were amazing as was his ability to shoot the 3. One of the assistant coaches said he would have been a spectacular recruit - plus he seemed like a level-headed quality guy. George Mason got a good one - dang it.
yeah for sure... we need one more big man like Akoh this year and maybe one good shooter like Jack Lopez and we could be a heck of alot better

One of the questions needs to be..."Are you going to pursue Sacha Killeya-Jones?" Please, and thank you!

I assume every coach in the country is looking at him - there aren't a lot of Kentucky transfers that head our way, however.

DeCuire will be on the show at 5 p.m. on Thursday. In Western Montana, you can get it at 102.9 FM. You can also listen live out of market here: http://1029espn.com/t-t/

If you miss it, I will post the podcast archive of the interview. Thanks for listening and for plugging our show!

I cannot seem to stream this program. What am I missing? The Lithia ad comes through loud and clear but cannot get the program.

Being I can't get the program would someone please let us know what Travis had to say? Thank you!

ICYMI: Montana head coach Travis DeCuire joined Ryan Tootell and Colter Nuanez to talk all things Griz basketball on Thursday afternoon

https://soundcloud.com/tootell/travis-decuire-4-12-18

The 40-minute interview in its entirety. DeCuire is one of the most articulate and thoughtful interview subjects I've had the pleasure of covering in my 12 years covering the Big Sky. This is certainly worth the listen.

Recruiting summary:
Had one transfer visit already, has one in this weekend, and has 3 more "on deck" - No details or names, I assume NCAA prohibits that until signing. He said that the Carl Nicholas transfer is "within the family" and that he won't discuss any reasons.

He said that the average NCAA team has 3 transfers per year.

An enjoyable, revealing, informative interview! Thanks, Colter. Coach DeCuire is a remarkable individual and coach. Montana and Missoula is fortunate to have him. His exceptional ability to honor the decisions of those who don't quite fit into the Griz program, while simultaneously championing the commitment of those loyal to the program is quite impressive... I look forward to following the continued evolution of his remarkable program. Go Griz.

That was one of the best listens with amazing insights from a coach. We are extremely fortunate to have TD as a head coach. He is going to go places, I promise that.

DeCurie is an impressive man, and coach, and that interview confirms it. But we all knew that.

When DeCuire talks about "family," there can be no doubt this is a single parent family. There is Papa Bear and no Mama Bear, and Papa Bear is in charge. So this interview was all about Papa Bear. It was almost like a self-promotion tape, and if I were DeCuire, I would certainly include it in my resume next time an attractive job offer popped up. Impressive indeed.

At the same time, I wish he'd been asked some questions about the rest of the "family"--the players, the recruits, and the obvious issues that have come up on this board by us, the fans, another part of the "family." Such as:

--What is his impression of Philip Malatare? No topic has generated more interest on this board in a long time. Here's a kid who's now a Montana legend, wants to be a Griz, is on the cover of the New York Times, so why not a question about him?

--How about the schedule? Okay, we play Creighton and Arizona, but DeCuire also mentioned three "mid-level" teams that will be on the schedule. Who are they?

--He mentioned Ken Pom, and how in addition to our defensive prowess we were also up there in offensive efficiency. Really? We might have been a twelve seed or even a ten had we not hit those incredible dry spells against Stanford, Santa Barbara and Georgia State--not to mention the ten-minute scoring drought against Michigan. This team was athletic and played great defense, but the lack of a shooter who could break a scoring drought became obvious as the season wore on. This would have been one of my first questions.

--Next year we'll have have a fabulous Power Five guard line, maybe the best guard play in the history of the University of Montana. Yet we'll be thin and inexperienced on the front line, especially with the departure of Nicholas. So what's the remedy here? Are they looking for jaycee transfer to bolster that front line? What are their plans for Anderson? What does he expect from Kramer?

Sports journalism is a tough racket, because you're so closely connected to your sources. At the same time, you can't forget your audience, the fans who are eager for this chance to get information. So you've got to push, to pry, to get as much information as you can. As good as this interview was, I felt it left a lot of of issues on the table. Because I consider myself "family" as well.

--

citay said:
At the same time, I wish he'd been asked some questions about the rest of the "family"--the players, the recruits, and the obvious issues that have come up on this board by us, the fans, another part of the "family." Such as:

--What is his impression of Philip Malatare? No topic has generated more interest on this board in a long time. Here's a kid who's now a Montana legend, wants to be a Griz, is on the cover of the New York Times, so why not a question about him?

--How about the schedule? Okay, we play Creighton and Arizona, but DeCuire also mentioned three "mid-level" teams that will be on the schedule. Who are they?

--He mentioned Ken Pom, and how in addition to our defensive prowess we were also up there in offensive efficiency. Really? We might have been a twelve seed or even a ten had we not hit those incredible dry spells against Stanford, Santa Barbara and Georgia State--not to mention the ten-minute scoring drought against Michigan. This team was athletic and played great defense, but the lack of a shooter who could break a scoring drought became obvious as the season wore on. This would have been one of my first questions.

--Next year we'll have have a fabulous Power Five guard line, maybe the best guard play in the history of the University of Montana. Yet we'll be thin and inexperienced on the front line, especially with the departure of Nicholas. So what's the remedy here? Are they looking for jaycee transfer to bolster that front line? What are their plans for Anderson? What does he expect from Kramer?

--
1. On Malatare - per the NCAA, Coaches cannot comment on any recruit (same goes for football as well) until they are officially signed. All they can do is "confirm they've been recruiting said player."

2. Schedule - unfortunately - that is all you're going to get most likely. Quite a few schools respect the privacy - especially since things tend to be fluid until an agreement is signed - and even then...things can change. Keeping things close to the vest - which is what Travis does - strengthens those relationships and makes it easier to schedule with said teams in the future

3. He knows about the shooting - he was mostly talking the Ken Pom stuff in the bigger scope about how teams are selected. The tough thing about TDC's Griz getting "shooters" is that they are expected to play lock-down D first, foremost and always. Tough to get pure shooters that are able to handle the Griz demands on D. Moorehead is a perfect example - more of a gunner / shooter but then he figured out he needed to get better at D and rebounding if he was gonna see playing time.

4. Recruits - again he can't give too much away (per the NCAA rule on commenting on recruits). He mentioned something about having some recruiting going on - which means it is definitely on his radar. He may not say it, but when there is a problem - he is aware of it and takes steps to fix it. Even if we aren't privy to the knowledge on the way. Some coaches are more open about these things. From all the interviews I've heard from TDC, he always plays things close to the vest and giving a 10,000ft view/scope (recruiting, things happening within the team, scheduling, playing in early season tourneys, etc) - for better or for worse.

Those are just my thoughts.

Back