• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GIVE MALATARE A SCHOLARSHIP!!

citygriz

I confess, they may still do that. It may be the reason others have transferred out of the program. But it absolutely confounds me that he wasn't offered sooner--before he was offered a walk-on, and then a "preferred" walk-on. Let me count the ways.
--The kid can play! Okay, it's against Class C competition. Okay, he needs to bulk up, and would need to adjust to a higher level of competition, just as Timmy Falls has. But hasn't he demonstrated he's deserved a shot? Have you seen his handle? His left hand?
--Sure, Division I ball would be a challenge for him. But hasn't he demonstrated an ability to overcome challenges? His whole life has been a challenge, in ways unimaginable to a privileged white kid like myself. Trust me: In life, character is destiny. This kid has character. As a coach or a boss, you always want to be on the side of character.
--He's now become a Montana legend, up there with Larry Pretty Weasel, Elvis Old Bull and George Yelloweyes--a legend even confirmed by the New York Times. This is one recruit who would pay for his scholarship in ticket sales.
--We are the University of MONTANA. Philip is a Montana kid. You know from my posts that I am not a homer, that I've urged the Lady Griz program to go out of state and recruit more black kids, and that I love the way DeCuire has recruited for the men's program. But this is one time I feel we owe it to a Montana kid--who loves the Griz and wants to play for us--to have a shot ahead of an out-of-state player.
--And oh, yes, there's a backup plan. Quite simply, we try it and it doesn't work out. Don't you think there are any number of Frontier Conference schools that would welcome him in a heartbeat? Montana Tech has and would.

The sad thing about minority status in this country is that minorities can never escape the stereotypes we have burdened them with. Read James Baldwin on this, one of the great African-American writers, and one of my all-time favorite authors. Here's our chance to tell young Mr. Malatare, we have seen your games, watched your tapes, witnessed your talent. You are good! You can play! And you are coming here as a full-fledged scholarship player, PERIOD, just like the two girls that Shannon just recruited from Missoula who never won a state championship, or the three kids who just left our program because they couldn't see much playing time in the future. Jeez.

I have never seen the kid play, but trust the reports. This would be a homerun for the school, especially when recruitment is down, to offer an in state, native american kid a scholarship for basketball. This is a kid that sounds like wants to play for the Griz, works at his craft, and will only want to get better. This may be the opportune time and these 3 kids leaving is a sign. GET HIM TO MISSOULA! (plus the grad transfer 3 point shooter, and another long wing).

Bozo JrCollegeofAG said:
According to the NYT story he's already accepted the preferred walk-on spot.

I guess you missed the point of my post. Sure he accepted a preferred walk-on because that's all we offered. I say, give him a damned scholarship!

I've asked this before and it's not coming from a place of insensitivity I truly don't know....don't Native American kids have an opportunity to go to school for free or almost free anyway? Meaning a preferred walk on with the Griz he will have his school paid for anyways?

citay said:
Bozo JrCollegeofAG said:
According to the NYT story he's already accepted the preferred walk-on spot.

I guess you missed the point of my post. Sure he accepted a preferred walk-on because that's all we offered. I say, give him a damned scholarship!

I understand. What I'm saying is Malatare has already accepted the walk-on. He also said he was "all in" in the article. I looks like the two sides have come to an agreement. So the Griz probably won't use a scholarship on him. (at least this year)

Griz possibly losing 3 full rides to transfer/departure. These guys sat the bench almost all year. From all appearances it is very likely next year would be the same. None of them with "Montana" ties. Almost every NCAA D1 team plays no more than 8 or 9 players in their meaningful rotations every season. This leaves 4 or even 5 scholarship players that won't see much time in a given season.

I'm not a big fan of "homer" or "token" players.....but the reality of college teams is there is "room" to take "smart" chances with scholarships. In this case, on a Montana kid. Malatare sounds to have skills and athleticism that many think can translate into becoming a contributor for the Montana Grizzly Men's Basketball team. If he does then the Griz have a wonderful feel good story that can only enhance the overall program. If he doesn't I bet he busts his butt in practice and works hard trying, and in the end becomes just another one of those 4 or 5 that every team has. Nothing against the transferring/departing guys...but I'd rather see a guy like Malatare in a Montana Grizzly uniform and given the chance to get on the floor if his play warrants.

HookedonGriz said:
I've asked this before and it's not coming from a place of insensitivity I truly don't know....don't Native American kids have an opportunity to go to school for free or almost free anyway? Meaning a preferred walk on with the Griz he will have his school paid for anyways?

Generally, yes. This is why the walk-on makes sense. Also, there are no "partials" in basketball. It is a full, or nothing.

grizpack said:
HookedonGriz said:

Generally, yes. This is why the walk-on makes sense. Also, there are no "partials" in basketball. It is a full, or nothing.

Kid deserves a scholarship no doubt, but if it allows the Griz to hold onto one while he gets his chance to be a star and still get his school covered then I'd say that's a win-win

I have watched some highlights and kid is decent. My question for those of you that watch him alot or are more in the know, How does he stack up to Jordan gregory, Timmy falls, Rorie, Oquine ????
Is he like a Criswell , Lake, or Gary Kane????

Mavman said:
I have watched some highlights and kid is decent. My question for those of you that watch him alot or are more in the know, How does he stack up to Jordan gregory, Timmy falls, Rorie, Oquine ????

Have you watched this kid in the open court? And you would describe his moves, his handle, his left hand as "decent?" Sure, there are questions, especially about his defense. But you and I must not be watching the same tape regarding his skills on offense.

The thing about Steph Curry is, for all his shooting prowess, he makes others on the court much better. For every single Warrior player, their points per possession skyrocket when they're playing with Curry, and plummet when they're not. I see the same court sense in Malatare. Our bigs should love playing with this kid. He'd make everybody on the team better. And I doubt we'd run into these scoring droughts that just killed us this year, especially against Michigan.

Mousegriz said:
Griz possibly losing 3 full rides to transfer/departure. These guys sat the bench almost all year. From all appearances it is very likely next year would be the same. None of them with "Montana" ties. Almost every NCAA D1 team plays no more than 8 or 9 players in their meaningful rotations every season. This leaves 4 or even 5 scholarship players that won't see much time in a given season.

I'm not a big fan of "homer" or "token" players.....but the reality of college teams is there is "room" to take "smart" chances with scholarships. In this case, on a Montana kid. Malatare sounds to have skills and athleticism that many think can translate into becoming a contributor for the Montana Grizzly Men's Basketball team. If he does then the Griz have a wonderful feel good story that can only enhance the overall program. If he doesn't I bet he busts his butt in practice and works hard trying, and in the end becomes just another one of those 4 or 5 that every team has. Nothing against the transferring/departing guys...but I'd rather see a guy like Malatare in a Montana Grizzly uniform and given the chance to get on the floor if his play warrants.

Why? Every SEC school has their token white dude!

Stop it - the coaches don't need this kind of pressure. Sure, he "deserves" a scholarship - so do lots of other kids. I trust Travis and the coaches to make a reasonable decision regarding whether he can play.

The last time I saw a bandwagon approach like this was the push to hire Don Holst. I remember posters around town pushing for him to get the job.

These shouldn't be bandwagon decisions. And, no, I am not taking away anyone's right to free speech, I trust the coaches can make this decision without local pressure.

717s7e said:
Stop it - the coaches don't need this kind of pressure. Sure, he "deserves" a scholarship - so do lots of other kids. I trust Travis and the coaches to make a reasonable decision regarding whether he can play.

The last time I saw a bandwagon approach like this was the push to hire Don Holst. I remember posters around town pushing for him to get the job.

These shouldn't be bandwagon decisions. And, no, I am not taking away anyone's right to free speech, I trust the coaches can make this decision without local pressure.

I have to laugh at that response. There's a whole Hall of Shame out there reserved for "experts" who made bad draft picks, coaches who overlooked the obvious, and players who defied their five-star status and wound up as total busts. If Montana had it to do all over, would our coaches have camped out on John Stockton's doorstep (we were one of two schools to offer him), or made the trek to Charlotte to recruit Steph Curry (the rumor mill has it we were interested), or gone whole-hog after a white kid from Canada named Steve Nash? Of course we would. Thank God, our staff has not overlooked Malatare; they've been all over it. I'm just saying, give Malatare a free ride, because I don't give a damn about Don Holst, and this kid deserves it.

I'm going to have an unpopular opinion here. I think Travis is doing exactly the right thing here in giving this young man an opportunity to prove all DI coaches wrong (Preferred walk on).

At his size, you better have superior quickness and skill level..........this does not appear to be the case. He has made a living of finishing in the paint (below the rim), something he will not be able to do at the DI level. And when you can't get to the paint or be a threat at the rim......he will need to shoot the three at a high level, and to date, he hasn't done that either. Shooting 30% in high school is not even close to being adequate. I have not doubt he does well at making those around him better, but that will also be more difficult with a college scout and his ability to score negated.

Again, a fine player and seems like a very good young man. But I'm going to support Travis' position in this case.

Would like nothing more than to see this kid prove many people wrong, those are often the best stories.

HookedonGriz said:

Great point...Natives get EVERYTHING paid for...and its not only their education - thus, the stereotypes and token/homer recruit narrative.

I have seen Malatare play and have no idea why there is such infatuation with his play. Yes, he is a good player but the only reason he is so much in the limelight is the fact that he has put up numbers for 4 years at a Class C school vs other schools at that level. Granted, he faces better completion at the Divisional and state tourneys, but other than that...very weak teams. Point being, he has had the advantage of constant press and attention for years...there are several other guards in this state and certainly other states that are just as good, if not better. I believe the hesitation with him is the sporadic undisciplined play that he is accustomed too. If he is that good, why not a scholarship offer from UM? Baffled by the infatuation factor...

citay said:
Mavman said:

Have you watched this kid in the open court? And you would describe his moves, his handle, his left hand as "decent?" Sure, there are questions, especially about his defense. But you and I must not be watching the same tape regarding his skills on offense.

The thing about Steph Curry is, for all his shooting prowess, he makes others on the court much better. For every single Warrior player, their points per possession skyrocket when they're playing with Curry, and plummet when they're not. I see the same court sense in Malatare. Our bigs should love playing with this kid. He'd make everybody on the team better. And I doubt we'd run into these scoring droughts that just killed us this year, especially against Michigan.

Watching same tape and he is decent.
You still did not answer my question about who he compares to or what type of player will he be.
I agree with the poster that stated a preferred walk on is perfect for this young man. Give him a shot and not use a scholarship.

No. Native students do not get a free education. If a Montana resident is at least 25% blood quantum as certified by tribal authority ( usually), has need as defined through the FAFSA process and determined by the financial aid office he or she may apply for the MUS tuition waiver. This will waive only tuition but none of the additional fees charged.

The waiver covers aproximately 2/3 of the tuition and fees charged. It also does not pay for housing, food, books, etc.Currently an undergraduate instate student at UM is paying $3531.33 per semester for tuition and fees. The waiver would deduct $2590.92 from that bill. So no, it is not a free education for native students.

grizgal said:
No. Native students do not get a free education. If a Montana resident is at least 25% blood quantum as certified by tribal authority ( usually), has need as defined through the FAFSA process and determined by the financial aid office he or she may apply for the MUS tuition waiver. This will waive only tuition but none of the additional fees charged.

The waiver covers aproximately 2/3 of the tuition and fees charged. It also does not pay for housing, food, books, etc.Currently an undergraduate instate student at UM is paying $3531.33 per semester for tuition and fees. The waiver would deduct $2590.92 from that bill. So no, it is not a free education for native students.

Back