• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

One and done rule

Mattdragon

Hey griz fans! In English I had to write a paper on a debatable topic, and the topic I chose was the one and done rule and was wondering if I could get some of your guys opinions on it! Thanks :)

I would like to see a rule that says you have to play 3 years before going pro.
I would also let kids who want to skip college go to the G-league where they have a 2 year window to get
picked up by NBA team. If they don't they can try over seas ( there must be a risk factor for not going to school).
One and dones have changed the landscape of Hoops drastically. A few mid major schools are combating this by going hard after transfers from major schools. Nevada's starting five were all transfers.
Recruiting players and developing players is almost a thing of the past. Coaches in most major and some mid-major programs no longer have to develop talent over a three-four year period, they look for transfers or recruit a few one and done kids each year. ( I would love to see the numbers for kids who have stayed all four years at a school 15yrs ago compared to the last couple years)

I do think the one and done rule has allowed mid major teams to be more competitive in the last 5 or so years. Taking a team of all american freshman vs a seasoned team of jr and sr who have played together a couple years can lead to upsets.
I love this subject thanks for starting this post.
I will be back with more thoughts later.

Mavman said:
I would like to see a rule that says you have to play 3 years before going pro.
I would also let kids who want to skip college go to the G-league where they have a 2 year window to get
picked up by NBA team. If they don't they can try over seas ( there must be a risk factor for not going to school).
One and dones have changed the landscape of Hoops drastically. A few mid major schools are combating this by going hard after transfers from major schools. Nevada's starting five were all transfers.
Recruiting players and developing players is almost a thing of the past. Coaches in most major and some mid-major programs no longer have to develop talent over a three-four year period, they look for transfers or recruit a few one and done kids each year. ( I would love to see the numbers for kids who have stayed all four years at a school 15yrs ago compared to the last couple years)

I do think the one and done rule has allowed mid major teams to be more competitive in the last 5 or so years. Taking a team of all american freshman vs a seasoned team of jr and sr who have played together a couple years can lead to upsets.
I love this subject thanks for starting this post.
I will be back with more thoughts later.

Wow...me too. Great start. For me it makes the smaller schools more Competitive because kids mature at different rates and the seniors on some teams are more seasoned than some of the freshman. Good topic!
I agree that it needs to be like MLB in a way. They can only get drafted in a couple of windows, and if not they play college or indy league. Same idea. If you pick college, it's 3 year commitment. Developmental league or over seas or the other options with an equal time before being drafted. Hard for any kid that thinks they are next level talent to look at one option as 3 years and the other as 2 before getting drafted pick college. Good response Mav!

The only reason I like 3 years for college is so that if things don't work out, they are that much closer to a degree if they go back.
I think transfer rules need to be looked at also. I have so many mixed ideas on transfers.
I will come back to that later.

I hate this rule; it is the most commy rule we have. This is ‘Merica. Name another industry here where a person is forced to be exploited by some nazi organization prior to cashing in their god-given talents. I don’t think any other similar rule exists. I’m not talking about a rule that Doctors must get tons of schooling and pass some test before they are qualified to do their trade. That makes sense—those people are not born with such knowledge. Plus, they are providing services (which could do harm if not done correctly), not pure entertainment (which can only harm yourself).
The best comparison is some young, prodigy singer. What if ASCAP went to Justin Bieber at age 10 and said, “before you get yours, we need to get ours”? Crazy.
And then, of course, practically speaking, the rule is a total farce. These kids usually take joke classes and drop out after bball ends.

Back