• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Article on Arlee Basketball

Good Story.

Also, specifically about Malatare according to the article- has received a “preferred” walk-on spot from the Griz, he said he was "all in" with the Griz and he plans to be starting for the Griz by the time he is a sophomore.

I like it. Confidence.

Beautifully written. I wrestled in high school against some very talented native kids that I became good friends with. You don't realize it when you are young, but they face significant odds that few of us can relate to. What's really sad is that some of the communities that I grew up around don't want them to succeed and many very promising athletes and highly intelligent kids are pressured into alcohol, drugs, teen pregnancy, and depression. It is really cool to see the leadership of Pitts and his team exudes to address some of the issues that plague reservations across the state. Hope they can set a good example for many of the Reservation towns across Montana and that their white neighbors can take their message to heart and show more empathy to their plight. Making someone feel welcome goes a long ways.

Look forward to seeing Phil in Maroon and Silver. It will be great to see the towns in the Mission Valley come to the games to support him and add some Native culture to the program.

Sam A. Blitz said:
Beautifully written. I wrestled in high school against some very talented native kids that I became good friends with. You don't realize it when you are young, but they face significant odds that few of us can relate to. What's really sad is that some of the communities that I grew up around don't want them to succeed and many very promising athletes and highly intelligent kids are pressured into alcohol, drugs, teen pregnancy, and depression. It is really cool to see the leadership of Pitts and his team exudes to address some of the issues that plague reservations across the state. Hope they can set a good example for many of the Reservation towns across Montana and that their white neighbors can take their message to heart and show more empathy to their plight. Making someone feel welcome goes a long ways.

Look forward to seeing Phil in Maroon and Silver. It will be great to see the towns in the Mission Valley come to the games to support him and add some Native culture to the program.

Thank you for posting this! I will always miss my friend, Dick Whitesell, David's father. Coming from a reservation, nobody outside can understand what we survived, and to think out of all the great Indian ballplayers this state has had that Don Wetzel was probably the first to really get an opportunity still baffles me. DeCuire, as a minority, really needs to understand the importance of bringing not just one kid, but two of them as teammates here. Life is too damn fragile and believe me, the floodgates to this school will open up if he brings two Native, Native Montana kids here! Just as Bobby will bring small town Montana by the pickup load to football games, Travis will bring vans from all over the state and not just the Reservations to the games here. Enrollment is contingent upon our state's perceptions of who is serving our state. MSU is serving those from other places and proud of it. They will get ostracized. Sooner than they think.

Bozo JrCollegeofAG said:
Good Story.

Also, specifically about Malatare according to the article- has received a “preferred” walk-on spot from the Griz, he said he was "all in" with the Griz and he plans to be starting for the Griz by the time he is a sophomore.

I like it. Confidence.

While reading the New York Times this morning, the line about preferred walk-on at UM made me spit the chi tea with a shot of soy milk right out of my mouth.

Seriously, that's awesome!

Sam A. Blitz said:

Well done, SAB! :clap:

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

Thank you for posting this! I will always miss my friend, Dick Whitesell, David's father. Coming from a reservation, nobody outside can understand what we survived, and to think out of all the great Indian ballplayers this state has had that Don Wetzel was probably the first to really get an opportunity still baffles me. DeCuire, as a minority, really needs to understand the importance of bringing not just one kid, but two of them as teammates here. Life is too damn fragile and believe me, the floodgates to this school will open up if he brings two Native, Native Montana kids here! Just as Bobby will bring small town Montana by the pickup load to football games, Travis will bring vans from all over the state and not just the Reservations to the games here. Enrollment is contingent upon our state's perceptions of who is serving our state. MSU is serving those from other places and proud of it. They will get ostracized. Sooner than they think.

:clap:

Okay. I read the story here, several days ago when it was posted. Great story. Nice pictures too. New York Times. Doesn't get any better than that.

But this morning, my wife, a non-sports fan, said, "Did you see the cover of the Times Magazine? Something about a Montana team." She handed it over.

And there they were, the Arlee team, standing before a basketball hoop against a bleak snowy landscape, on the cover of the New York Times Magazine.

As in, "The Cover of the Rolling Stone!"

I had no idea.

When's the last time one of our recruits made the cover of NY Times Magazine?

citay said:
Okay. I read the story here, several days ago when it was posted. Great story. Nice pictures too. New York Times. Doesn't get any better than that.

But this morning, my wife, a non-sports fan, said, "Did you see the cover of the Times Magazine? Something about a Montana team." She handed it over.

And there they were, the Arlee team, standing before a basketball hoop against a bleak snowy landscape, on the cover of the New York Times Magazine.

As in, "The Cover of the Rolling Stone!"

I had no idea.

When's the last time one of our recruits made the cover of NY Times Magazine?

That settles it, Travis has to get him onboard.

Great article - My experience with rez ball was playing ball at the Heisey Youth Center in Great Fall back in the 80s. Do not recall his name but played pick-up games with a native American that would absolutely blow the sox off everyone else off in the gym. I later played against many good players at Malmstrom AFB but none came close to the talent of the native American gentleman at the Heisey. PS - I had much more fun when he was on my team!

Back