• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz make it official: Espe, Bevens & Besovic leaving

grizonbob

DONOR
So UM has confirmed the speculation that the three underclassmen -- Espe, Bevens and Besovic -- will transfer.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/underclassmen-niko-bevens-lars-espe-admir-besovic-will-transfer-from/article_7defdf85-6c42-59b8-a178-d272171aff00.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Suddenly the Griz roster has a lot more slots to fill.

Mack Anderson is taking Krslovic's scholarship, right?

Any thoughts on who will get the ones freed up by the departure of Espe, Bevens and Besovic?

Been some discussion on these boards, but this should spur a lot more interesting talk.

I am guessing the GRIZ will get a SR graduate transfer, 1 or 2 under classmen transfers (hoping for Rayquan Evans). There are still a few talented unsigned HS Sr's out there too. Will it take a scholarship to get Malatare away from committing to a Frontier program? I believe DeCuire has a few options in store for us. I doubt he would release that many scholarships, if he didn't have some solid options.

Can't wait to find out who the GRIZ land.

Remember a year ago when there was excitement about signing these 3? A cynic might think Travis is replacing 3 guys who he didn't play, with the next 3 guys he wont play. :)

Anyone coming in this year is burning a year of eligibility. I would guess they won't want them to RS due to scholarship balance.

What do you guys think they should do with the 3 available scholarships? I was thinking a Fr PG to sit a year and learn. A Fr SF with the same mindset and a Sophomore wing player/shooter, to balance out our scholarships.

Not really surprised to be honest. All of these guys will be sitting a lot due to the talent in front of them and with young guys emerging (Falls and Nicholas). It's an awful lot of work, time, effort, and dedication to not see the floor a lot. My gut tells me Travis had some heart to heart discussions with these 3 about their future. I wish them the best and am thankful for their time with the Griz. TD will have some $ to get creative now as well.

My ideal scenario, 1 transfer (pipe dream is Malachi Flynn from Wazzu) 1 3 & d perimeter guy ready to contribute now (preferably a juco or grad transfer with 2 years to play) and a freshman.

I assume that Travis and staff will do everything they can to help these guys find a basketball fit. It will be interesting to see where they go and who fills those slots.

Thanks to all 3, and continued success at your next program.

Please, please, please sign a wing who can fill it up from 3.

EverettGriz said:

Niko Bevens was supposed to be that wing. :(

GrizWhiz said:
EverettGriz said:

I heard it may have been an issue with defense more than offense.

grizband said:
Shame to lose all three, but especially Besovic; 7 footers don't grow on trees!
Except that we have a 6'11" that we like a lot more in Kramer. Decuire knows exactly what he's doing. Those 3 kids were brought in on a 1 year trial to see if they could contribute right away. They didn't. They'll all be great players and students, just not at um.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

HookedonGriz said:
GrizWhiz said:
EverettGriz said:

I heard it may have been an issue with defense more than offense.
It was. Defense kept him off the floor.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtgrizrule said:
I am guessing the GRIZ will get a SR graduate transfer, 1 or 2 under classmen transfers (hoping for Rayquan Evans). There are still a few talented unsigned HS Sr's out there too. Will it take a scholarship to get Malatare away from committing to a Frontier program? I believe DeCuire has a few options in store for us. I doubt he would release that many scholarships, if he didn't have some solid options.

In the New York Times article Malatare's mom stated he wants to go to Missoula but she loves that Tech offered him a full ride. If Travis offers him any money I think it seals the deal with him. Kid can play and I hope they give him a chance. Using a scholly on a local, Indian kid would really help sell the U within the community. Smart move and, by far, not a waste of scholarship money IMO.

putter said:
mtgrizrule said:

In the New York Times article Malatare's mom stated he wants to go to Missoula but she loves that Tech offered him a full ride. If Travis offers him any money I think it seals the deal with him. Kid can play and I hope they give him a chance. Using a scholly on a local, Indian kid would really help sell the U within the community. Smart move and, by far, not a waste of scholarship money IMO.

How tall is he?

HookedonGriz said:
Not really surprised to be honest. All of these guys will be sitting a lot due to the talent in front of them and with young guys emerging (Falls and Nicholas). It's an awful lot of work, time, effort, and dedication to not see the floor a lot. My gut tells me Travis had some heart to heart discussions with these 3 about their future. I wish them the best and am thankful for their time with the Griz. TD will have some $ to get creative now as well.

I watched Espe a lot during warm ups. Just in an effort to gage his future. I feel he could have been a rotational contributor, but not until 2019/20. The kid is a true PG, good shooter, good hops (can dunk), solid ball distributor and defender. Whoever gets him will be very happy with him. I just am not sure if he can find that fit as soon as he would like. With Rorie, Oguine, and Falls set as our main 3 guards, he just wouldn't have the playing time, barring injuries.

Besovic just looked a little out of place, at least athletically. Plus, I hear of great things regarding the potential of Kramer and Anderson, and of course Nicholas. I am relieved that Nicholas isn't one of players leaving.

As for Bevens, I hate to see a true 3 point shooter not be make it at a program. I am sure he will find a great fit somewhere. I do hope, for his sake, he finds a system that needs him, and/or he learns to play better defense. The GRIZ certainly could have used his shooting this season. Unfortunately, he came up short in doing that Coach DeCuire expects.

I wish all 3 the best. I hope we don't see Espe haunt us in the future. I honestly think he is a Div 1 player. He will have to sit a year, if he does transfer to another Div 1 school.

AZDoc said:
putter said:
mtgrizrule said:

How tall is he?

Listed at about 6'

grizband said:
Shame to lose all three, but especially Besovic; 7 footers don't grow on trees!

He was 7' true, and that is the only nice thing I can say about his B-ball ability. He was awful, and that was abundantly obvious. None of these 3 are a surprise, nor would any of them ever play a meaningful moment again next year if they stayed. Best of luck to them wherever they land.

Latest posts

Back