• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Major Upset

IdaGriz01

I know, it's not Grizzlies basketball ... but it is important in a basketball context: Notre Dame women took Connecticut into OT and won 91-89 with late jumper. It was UConn's only loss for the 2017-2018 season.

The earlier women's final four game went into OT also, BTW.

IdaGriz01 said:
I know, it's not Grizzlies basketball ... but it is important in a basketball context: Notre Dame women took Connecticut into OT and won 91-89 with late jumper. It was UConn's only loss for the 1917-1918 season.

Impressive. But could they vote?

Wow, two years in a row UCONN doesn't even make it to the finals. That's surprising considering how dominant they've been for many many years (usually a sure pick to win the whole thing in bracket challenges).

UConn losing probably just busted like 90% of the brackets on espn.com :p

"Roger, Roger. That's major, Major".

Oh, and if I were UConn I'd fire the coach. He obviously sucks.

Potomac Griz said:
Wow, two years in a row UCONN doesn't even make it to the finals. That's surprising considering how dominant they've been for many many years (usually a sure pick to win the whole thing in bracket challenges).

UConn losing probably just busted like 90% of the brackets on espn.com :p
Bingo! :thumb:

But only 90% ... :?: :lol:

IdaGriz01 said:
I know, it's not Grizzlies basketball ... but it is important in a basketball context: Notre Dame women took Connecticut into OT and won 91-89 with late jumper. It was UConn's only loss for the 1917-1918 season.

Who cares? That was a hundred years ago.

PeauxRouge said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Who cares? That was a hundred years ago.
Oops! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Fixed ... glad you caught it.

Excuse: Currently researching that period for a book I'm working on. Got too used to entering years in that range.

I disagree that it’s a major upset. All 4 teams are number 1 seeds. They are all good teams. What does make it special is that ND has 4 ACL injuries this year...2 starters I believe and 2 big contributors. Only played 6 rotation.

All right, since some people think that only the second loss in like four years for a team is no big deal, I took off one "Major." Whatever.

Anyway, the women's national championship turned out to be an amazing game. Notre Dame trailed for most of the game, but won it in an almost buzzer-beater (a trey) with 0.1 second left. Miss-State actually got off a shot, but it would have only been for 2 points, so it would not have turned it around.

IdaGriz01 said:
All right, since some people think that only the second loss in like four years for a team is no big deal, I took off one "Major." Whatever.

Definitely agree with you that it was a major upset. Going into that game UConn had a record of 188-2 for the past 5 seasons.

Look at some of the scores UConn put up on teams this year. When they faced a very good South Carolina team (a 2 seed) UConn beat them 94-65. The poor 16 seed team that drew them got stomped 140-54.... yeah 140 to 54. At halftime it was 94-31. St Francis wasn't exactly a shitty team either...they were 24-9 going into that game.

UConn losing to anybody (even another #1 seed) is a major upset in Women's basketball.

Back