• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gonzaga to the Mountain West

Status
Not open for further replies.
citay said:
That's Gonzaga, Nevada and Boise State, all former Big Sky schools, all where we should be as well.

Those states all value education and fund it appropriately and have a desire to compete at the very highest level. I believe the Idaho drop-down is only short term and somehow they will drag ISU up with them. Where they land I don't know--nor do I really care. We have way too many people here that are satisfied just having a team.

citay said:
That's Gonzaga, Nevada and Boise State, all former Big Sky schools, all where we should be as well.

Hard to believe that we continue to be satisfied with the Big Sky Conference.
I don’t know what it will take for us to move far away from the Big Sky? Will Bodnar provide the leadership? He may. I hope so.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
citay said:

Those states all value education and fund it appropriately and have a desire to compete at the very highest level. I believe the Idaho drop-down is only short term and somehow they will drag ISU up with them. Where they land I don't know--nor do I really care. We have way too many people here that are satisfied just having a team.
I doubt anyone is over impressed by the academic prowess of Boise State. And, yes, if Montana drops football and puts the emphasis on Basketball, it might just be feasible to move to a higher rated conference. So, there's that option....

Spanky2 said:
citay said:

Hard to believe that we continue to be satisfied with the Big Sky Conference.
I don’t know what it will take for us to move far away from the Big Sky? Will Bodnar provide the leadership? He may. I hope so.

What is he going to do, print the million or so it would take? He couldn't do much at GE....

The change, it is a-comin!!

Finally, UM will be in a conference of peer universities with actual DI programs and facilities.

EverettGriz said:

Finally, UM will be in a conference of peer universities with actual DI programs and facilities.

Hate to be the Debbie Downer but it ain't going to be happening. Great idea but who is paying for it ?

fanofzoo said:
EverettGriz said:

Hate to be the Debbie Downer but it ain't going to be happening. Great idea but who is paying for it ?

TV revenue. NCAA tournament revenue.

It's a misconception that a move to a real DI conference would cost bottom line dollars. Prior to UM having the infrastructure in place, I would agree that money was an issue. Today, we have the facilities to play at that level already in place.

EverettGriz said:

Basketball does not drive change, football does. Not sure how you see this starting a big change in the landscape.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

Basketball does not drive change, football does. Not sure how you see this starting a big change in the landscape.

Nothing imminent, per se. But as the Zags' move shows, when there's more money to be made (and there ALWAYS is), teams will move conferences. When teams move, landscapes change.

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

Nothing imminent, per se. But as the Zags' move shows, when there's more money to be made (and there ALWAYS is), teams will move conferences. When teams move, landscapes change.

Once again, you are talking about a basketball only school leaving what is a basketball only conference. Don't see how this will be an impact when football drives the big 5 conferences and the money.

Please read carefully:

I've stated there's nothing immediate happening in the power 5. But because the Zag's move shows there's still plenty of money to be made via conference realignment, and because whenever there's money to be made the P5 will be on it faster that Trump on an adult film star, there WILL be additional movement. Likely sooner rather than later.

EverettGriz said:
Please read carefully:

I've stated there's nothing immediate happening in the power 5. But because the Zag's move shows there's still plenty of money to be made via conference realignment, and because whenever there's money to be made the P5 will be on it faster that Trump on an adult film star, there WILL be additional movement. Likely sooner rather than later.

You should read a little more carefully. This move only shows that Gonzaga has determined that there is more possible "basketball" money in the MWC for a "basketball only" school. This shows zero about "football" money, which is what steers the ship. This move is only a blip, just like "basketball" money to the P5 conferences. The movement everyone is waiting for, is the P5 packing up to keep all the "football" money.

HelenaHandBasket said:
... This move only shows that Gonzaga has determined that there is more possible "basketball" money in the MWC for a "basketball only" school. This shows zero about "football" money, which is what steers the ship. This move is only a blip, just like "basketball" money to the P5 conferences. The movement everyone is waiting for, is the P5 packing up to keep all the "football" money.
Found an article at the “Business Insider” web site that had a list of the 27 big time programs whose athletic programs generated $100 million or more in revenue annually:
http://www.businessinsider.com/scho...11#24-university-of-washington-1072-million-4

They split the revenue streams out into general Donations and Licensing, along with three-year revenue averages for football, men’s basketball, and women’s basketball.

I did some quick averages from the article and came up with a grand average of about $72 million per year from football and about $15 million for basketball. (In general, men’s basketball seems to generate about ten times the revenue from women’s basketball).

Now these are obviously the absolute tops, but the point is: At these big-time programs, football brings in, on average, about five time the revenue of basketball. The article did not talk about costs, but it’s obvious that a football program costs a lot more than basketball (more schollies, more coaches, etc.) Suppose a big-time program spends $20 million on the football program and only $5 million on basketball. That leaves a net of over $50 million from football and maybe $10 million from basketball. (I know they play all kinds of accounting games to siphon off money all over the place … but I’m talking more or less real costs vs revenue.) Now, clearly, you dial all this back for smaller programs, but the fact remains that football is where the money is for most schools. And that’s what it’s all about.

We know that football generates more revenue than basketball. If we change to a Division 1 Conference, it should be for all sports.
Is it possible for UM to change or are we stuck in the Big Sky? Is our destiny tied to Montana State? If it is, what can we do to change that and operate independently of Montana State? What is the position of the Washington Family regarding a conference change?

IdaGriz01 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
... This move only shows that Gonzaga has determined that there is more possible "basketball" money in the MWC for a "basketball only" school. This shows zero about "football" money, which is what steers the ship. This move is only a blip, just like "basketball" money to the P5 conferences. The movement everyone is waiting for, is the P5 packing up to keep all the "football" money.
Found an article at the “Business Insider” web site that had a list of the 27 big time programs whose athletic programs generated $100 million or more in revenue annually:
http://www.businessinsider.com/scho...11#24-university-of-washington-1072-million-4

They split the revenue streams out into general Donations and Licensing, along with three-year revenue averages for football, men’s basketball, and women’s basketball.

I did some quick averages from the article and came up with a grand average of about $72 million per year from football and about $15 million for basketball. (In general, men’s basketball seems to generate about ten times the revenue from women’s basketball).

Now these are obviously the absolute tops, but the point is: At these big-time programs, football brings in, on average, about five time the revenue of basketball. The article did not talk about costs, but it’s obvious that a football program costs a lot more than basketball (more schollies, more coaches, etc.) Suppose a big-time program spends $20 million on the football program and only $5 million on basketball. That leaves a net of over $50 million from football and maybe $10 million from basketball. (I know they play all kinds of accounting games to siphon off money all over the place … but I’m talking more or less real costs vs revenue.) Now, clearly, you dial all this back for smaller programs, but the fact remains that football is where the money is for most schools. And that’s what it’s all about.

I think for a FCS football team there isn’t that kind of revenue you are talking about. You can make way money for your conference and school with basketball if you get into the tourney because you share in some of that tv money. That’s why I think a majority of big sky schools including UM if they were smart would invest there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
IdaGriz01 said:
... Now, clearly, you dial all this back for smaller programs, but the fact remains that football is where the money is for most schools. And that’s what it’s all about.

I think for a FCS football team there isn’t that kind of revenue you are talking about. You can make way money for your conference and school with basketball if you get into the tourney because you share in some of that tv money. That’s why I think a majority of big sky schools including UM if they were smart would invest there.
There is not that kind of revenue at the FCS football level, but my point was made in terms of the usual "move up" notion involving the MWC.

Given that, having an FCS football program, but putting a lot of resources into basketball does make a lot of sense. Case in point: Villanova (enrollment about 10,800). Their football team is competitive at the FCS level, but averaged just 5,471 home attendance. Their basketball program is consistently way more than just competitive ... and they averaged 9,772 attendance. They are a private school, so you can't easily get their financial numbers. But they almost certainly make a lot more money from BBall, particularly with revenue as a member of the Big East.

Thanks to this thread, I'm getting bombarded with GONZAGA links, advertisements,etc on my internet applications. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back