• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UMBC has just changed the NCAA tournament paradigm forever!

Silvertip

Let's see if I remember what it stands for..oh yah, University of Maryland-Baltimore County a #16 humbles the overall #1 seed Virginia 74-54. And it wasn't that close. First time ever a 16 beating a number 1. The "Retrievers" (don't know the breed) lost by 44 to Albany early in the season and needed a last second shot against Vermont to make the tournament. Wow!

Silvertip said:
Let's see if I remember what it stands for..oh yah, University of Maryland-Baltimore County a #16 humbles the overall #1 seed Virginia 74-54. And it wasn't that close. First time ever a 16 beating a number 1. The "Retrievers" (don't know the breed) lost by 44 to Albany early in the season and needed a last second shot against Vermont to make the tournament. Wow!
Totally amazing.

FWIW: The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is the "state dog" of Maryland. Smart and affectionate, it is quite a handsome dog, and a very good retriever.

IdaGriz01 said:
Silvertip said:
Totally amazing.

FWIW: The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is the "state dog" of Maryland. Smart and affectionate, it is quite a handsome dog, and a very good retriever.

Don't forget stubborn but someone who will without hesitation jump into freezing water to get your bird.

Silvertip said:

Not only the first ever win for a 16 v a 1, no 16 has ever even lost by single digits.

Guts and determination - No deer in the headlights for these warriors. Perhaps the Griz can learn from UMBC!

fanofzoo said:
LivingstonNative said:
WOW! Blew my bracket. :shock:

That's OK, no one called that.

the US Senator from Maryland did, can't place his name but he posted his bracket online and he did the homer pick! But it was total homer pick, not only did he have them beating Virginia, he had UMBC going all the way :lol:

Dillon said:
Guts and determination - No deer in the headlights for these warriors. Perhaps the Griz can learn from UMBC!

I didn't perceive any "deer in the headlights" out of this year's Grizzlies.

I did perceive a stretch of very cold shooting which then led them into taking too many desperation poor shots. At no point did I feel this team was cowed trying to run with the big dogs.

Cannot say the same about our past encounters with those Wisconsin & Syracuse games.

Might as well bump this thread: UMBC is still hanging around against KSU: Down only 5 points with about 4 min to go.

Since today has been a disaster for our picks, one more upset won't make much difference. Go Retrievers!

IdaGriz01 said:
Silvertip said:
Totally amazing.

One of the UMBC players even said "I'd never heard of the school before I came here". UMBC had 1500 and 2200 fans at their 2 Conference tourney games which they hosted and only had 1002 and 1200 at their last regular season home games. On their "famous Alumni" they list 2 chess players. Seriously!

Yes, now announcers will not have to say that a no. 1 has never lost to a no. 16 in men's ncaa hoops. That's a relief to me.

PlayerRep said:
no. 1 has never lost to a no. 16 in men's ncaa hoops

...not only this...
...every #1 moving forward...
...contend with that little seed of doubt...

... :yikes: ...

Smart, Smart Move!

Just saw this item on ESPN:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22830526/umbc-retrievers-offer-ryan-odom-new-deal-our-realm

Couple of key quote:
Jeff Goodman said:
UMBC athletic director Tim Hall told ESPN he intends to meet with coach Ryan Odom in the next day or two armed with a long-term contract that includes a salary increase that will help keep Odom with the Retrievers a while longer.

"We need to do within our realm what we can," Hall said Sunday. "We obviously can't do what the Power 5 schools can do, or anything near that. I think at some point Ryan wants to do it on a bigger stage. I'm just hoping it's down the road instead of now."
According to Wikipedia, UMBC has about 13,000 student and endowments of "only" about $80 million. So they're not going to be able to offer him a huge raise, but they're obviously smart enough to try their best.

IdaGriz01 said:
Smart, Smart Move!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22830526/umbc-retrievers-offer-ryan-odom-new-deal-our-realm

Couple of key quote:
Jeff Goodman said:
UMBC athletic director Tim Hall told ESPN he intends to meet with coach Ryan Odom in the next day or two armed with a long-term contract that includes a salary increase that will help keep Odom with the Retrievers a while longer.

"We need to do within our realm what we can," Hall said Sunday. "We obviously can't do what the Power 5 schools can do, or anything near that. I think at some point Ryan wants to do it on a bigger stage. I'm just hoping it's down the road instead of now."
According to Wikipedia, UMBC has about 13,00 student and endowments of "only" about $80 million. So they're not going to be able to offer him a huge raise, but they're obviously smart enough to try their best.

Add another zero, Ida....UMBC has 13,000 plus...

Silvertip said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Smart, Smart Move!

Couple of key quote:
Jeff Goodman said:

According to Wikipedia, UMBC has about 13,00 student and endowments of "only" about $80 million. So they're not going to be able to offer him a huge raise, but they're obviously smart enough to try their best.
Add another zero, Ida....UMBC has 13,000 plus...
Yeah, don't know what happened there. :oops:

I had the comma in the right place, anyway ;) -- also, it's fixed now. Thanks for catching it. And the bottom line is ... they are not a giant university with 30 or 40 thousand students, so there's only so much they can do.

Back