• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Officiating

EverettGriz

DONOR
The officiating in the tournament is so unlike ANYTHING seen in the bsc that it's almost as if you're watching a different sport. Not a single foul for bad breath away from the ball and 37 feet from the basket. In fact, pretty much, it's no fracture, no foul.

As I've mentioned before, this creates a huge challenge for the bsc teams in the Dance. The GRIZ will need to avoid being intimidated by the physicality of the game. The bigs inside and the guards on penetration need to be strong and look to score because you're not going to draw a foul call.

And the bsc simply must teach their officials how games are called elsewhere in the nation.

EverettGriz said:
The officiating in the tournament is so unlike ANYTHING seen in the bsc that it's almost as if you're watching a different sport. Not a single foul for bad breath away from the ball and 37 feet from the basket. In fact, pretty much, it's no fracture, no foul.

As I've mentioned before, this creates a huge challenge for the bsc teams in the Dance. The GRIZ will need to avoid being intimidated by the physicality of the game. The bigs inside and the guards on penetration need to be strong and look to score because you're not going to draw a foul call.

And the bsc simply must teach their officials how games are called elsewhere in the nation.
Well as I think as has been mentioned a few times before on this topic, the Big Sky is part of the western consortium, which includes all six D-1 leagues in the West (including the PAC-12). The consortium provides training programs for officials for all six leagues.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2016/8/14/MBB_0814162311.aspx

I'd add that I don't think it's just the Big Sky that experiences "tournament shock." I think officials from all over the country change the way they work when they get into the NCAA tournament, and call fewer fouls in tourney games than they do in the regular season. The Big Sky may be less equipped to handle more physical play since it's a guard-oriented league with few top-quality bigs, but that really has nothing to do with the way the regular season games are officiated.

Yes. We’ve discussed the consortium ad nauseum. But the bsc always gets the worst of the worst from that group. Not sure what the consortium has to do with shitty officiating in the bsc. Anyone who denies the bsc calls the game differently than other conferences is either biased, or doesn’t understand the basics of the game.

And yes, it puts the bsc at a huge disadvantage. But keep supporting the league if you must. God knows they need all the positive words they can get.

EverettGriz said:
Yes. We’ve discussed the consortium ad nauseum. But the bsc always gets the worst of the worst from that group. Not sure what the consortium has to do with shitty officiating in the bsc. Anyone who denies the bsc calls the game differently than other conferences is either biased, or doesn’t understand the basics of the game.

And yes, it puts the bsc at a huge disadvantage. But keep supporting the league if you must. God knows they need all the positive words they can get.

:dead:

Jared, I’ll keep beating it until something is done about it. I simply don’t believe Montana belongs in a conference that prides itself on mediocrity and the lowest common denominator.

The officiating of GRIZ games was much better the last few weeks of the regular season, then the conference tournament. I hope that trend continues, for the better.

One of the Griz refs was bad and made multiple wrong and bad calls. Liked to blow his whistle. One guy made a few bad or marginal calls early, but then was better. The 3d seemed to make only good calls.

I agree most of the officiating is considerably better than the Big Sky, especially certain crews and refs.

Back