• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rorie among seven from Big Sky named All-District

Colter_Nuanez56

Seven Big Sky men’s players tabbed NABC All-District 6
https://skylinesportsmt.com/seven-big-sky-mens-players-tabbed-nabc-all-district-6/

'68griz said:
Why does Oguine keep being passed over?

Oguine is a very good player, and explosive at times, but as I have been saying most of the year, Rorie is the straw that stirs the drink for the Griz. Controls the ball and team well. Makes good decisions. Gets assists and doesn't get turnovers. Scores well or better than well. Very good defender and doesn't play like a prima donna. Great free throw shooter. Very consistent. Very cool under pressure. I assume plays the most minutes for the Griz. Has a nice mom (don't know Oguine's family).

'68griz said:

When you have these all-star teams from wider areas, the voters know less about the players. So they rely more, I believe, on just a few "headline" stats like scoring, rebounds and assists.

Although Oguine's a pretty good scorer and a great rebounder for a guard, his scoring and rebounding stats won't be at the top of those lists. We all know that he's a terrific defender -- the best in the Big Sky -- but that doesn't show up much in stats either.

So the voters for these all-star teams go the easy route and focus on offensive players. Still, I think a good argument can be made Oguine's the best player in the Big Sky.... the tourney MVP award showed that.

grizonbob said:
'68griz said:

When you have these all-star teams from wider areas, the voters know less about the players. So they rely more, I believe, on just a few "headline" stats like scoring, rebounds and assists.

Although Oguine's a pretty good scorer and a great rebounder for a guard, his scoring and rebounding stats won't be at the top of those lists. We all know that he's a terrific defender -- the best in the Big Sky -- but that doesn't show up much in stats either.

So the voters for these all-star teams go the easy route and focus on offensive players. Still, I think a good argument can be made Oguine's the best player in the Big Sky.... the tourney MVP award showed that.

I assume this is true. They also look at the first team all-conference lists. They wouldn't pick someone else over a first teamer. Different discussion about whether Oguine also deserves first team

Back