• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Riley needs color

Mousegriz

Instead of pulling up Pluto have listened to last few road games on the radio. Does anyone else have the same feelings I do about Riley Corcoran. The guy never breathes! Never heard a guy rattle off "numbers" like he does. Endless. Last night I just got the 2nd half but his repetition of facts is endless.

1) Griz missed their first 4 or 5 3's in the second half. They miss their 4th in a row and we hear "Griz have missed their first 4 threes of the half"....next time down they miss their 5th. "Griz have missed their first 5 threes of the half"...Few plays later they miss their 6th.."Griz have missed their first 6 threes of the half". We get it Riley we are listening to the game and you don't have to insult us as if we can't add 1 to the number you gave us 30 seconds ago!

2) Bliznyuk scores a bunch early then goes 10+ minutes in first half and quite a bit of second without scoring. Ever time he touches the ball...."Bliznyuk hasn't scored since 10 minutes left in the first half". We heard you the last 10 times you told us that!

3) Griz lose...bummer. "They've won 14 in a row and 7 straight road games to tie or almost tie some record". We get it Riley! You've told us that 25 times this game!

4) Griz lose for the first time in 55 days......Yes, we heard it 6 times in the last 3 minutes of the game and 7 times during the postgame show.

5) Akoh has three straight double doubles.....but not last night. Yes Riley you told us about those three straight double doubles 10 times!

6) Bliznyuk has made 52 straight free throws....he makes one...he's made 53 straight free throws.. in fact he hasn't missed one since Dec 12, 2017...at 8:02 PM Easterrn standard time....which is 5:02 Pacific Coast time. The temp in Moscow Russia that night was 32 degrees Fahrenheit which is 0 degrees Celsius.

7) "Eastern is shooting 56.4356278% for the game with a minute left and that might be the highest FG% average of any opponent this year.......in fact if they don't take another shot and it stays at 56.4356278% it will be the highest because on November 12th some other team we played shot 56.4356277%!

And on and on and on.....My god what kind of defense is EWU playing tonight?......think I heard a zone once or twice. That seemed a critical component of the game but not nearly as important as the last day Bliznyuk missed a FT. How were the roads coming over today? When do the Griz head to Moscow for Saturdays' game. Do you have a girl friend and did you take her out for dinner on Valentine's Day?

One of these games I'm going to count the number of "numbers" Riley gives us in a game......but not sure I can count to 1 trillion!

I kind of admire the enthusiasm and pretty smooth delivery he has.....and maybe I'm just bummed about the loss last night...but the last two games in particular I've literally turned off the radio with a headache.

Bring on Bill Walton as a guest color man one night! What a long strange trip it's been!

'68griz said:
Please, NOT Walton. I cannot stand listening to him.
I was saddened when injuries hampered Walton's pro career ... he won many awards, but there was just so much more potential there.

And he started great -- by and large -- as a broadcast guy. I mean, he knows BBall and he understands the game about as well as anybody -- and he's pretty much kept up with how the game has changed since his day. And some of that still comes through. But -- sorry Bill -- TV "celebrity" has made him so "full of himself" that, after awhile, his "clever" comments become distracting ... and downright annoying.

IdaGriz01 said:
'68griz said:
Please, NOT Walton. I cannot stand listening to him.
I was saddened when injuries hampered Walton's pro career ... he won many awards, but there was just so much more potential there.

And he started great -- by and large -- as a broadcast guy. I mean, he knows BBall and he understands the game about as well as anybody -- and he's pretty much kept up with how the game has changed since his day. And some of that still comes through. But -- sorry Bill -- TV "celebrity" has made him so "full of himself" that, after awhile, his "clever" comments become distracting ... and downright annoying.

I loved Walton as a player....laughed at his comments as color guy for a few years...but now even I can't quite handle his Schtick which is the exact "anti-Riley"...

Did you hear the Griz lost last night and ended their 14 game wining streak and 7 game road winning streak? No worries....you'll hear it again 54 (or more!) times on Saturday night from Moscow! Take a couple aspirin a few minutes before you start listening though.

Mousegriz said:
Instead of pulling up Pluto have listened to last few road games on the radio. Does anyone else have the same feelings I do about Riley Corcoran. The guy never breathes! Never heard a guy rattle off "numbers" like he does. Endless. Last night I just got the 2nd half but his repetition of facts is endless.

1) Griz missed their first 4 or 5 3's in the second half. They miss their 4th in a row and we hear "Griz have missed their first 4 threes of the half"....next time down they miss their 5th. "Griz have missed their first 5 threes of the half"...Few plays later they miss their 6th.."Griz have missed their first 6 threes of the half". We get it Riley we are listening to the game and you don't have to insult us as if we can't add 1 to the number you gave us 30 seconds ago!

2) Bliznyuk scores a bunch early then goes 10+ minutes in first half and quite a bit of second without scoring. Ever time he touches the ball...."Bliznyuk hasn't scored since 10 minutes left in the first half". We heard you the last 10 times you told us that!

3) Griz lose...bummer. "They've won 14 in a row and 7 straight road games to tie or almost tie some record". We get it Riley! You've told us that 25 times this game!

4) Griz lose for the first time in 55 days......Yes, we heard it 6 times in the last 3 minutes of the game and 7 times during the postgame show.

5) Akoh has three straight double doubles.....but not last night. Yes Riley you told us about those three straight double doubles 10 times!

6) Bliznyuk has made 52 straight free throws....he makes one...he's made 53 straight free throws.. in fact he hasn't missed one since Dec 12, 2017...at 8:02 PM Easterrn standard time....which is 5:02 Pacific Coast time. The temp in Moscow Russia that night was 32 degrees Fahrenheit which is 0 degrees Celsius.

7) "Eastern is shooting 56.4356278% for the game with a minute left and that might be the highest FG% average of any opponent this year.......in fact if they don't take another shot and it stays at 56.4356278% it will be the highest because on November 12th some other team we played shot 56.4356277%!

And on and on and on.....My god what kind of defense is EWU playing tonight?......think I heard a zone once or twice. That seemed a critical component of the game but not nearly as important as the last day Bliznyuk missed a FT. How were the roads coming over today? When do the Griz head to Moscow for Saturdays' game. Do you have a girl friend and did you take her out for dinner on Valentine's Day?

One of these games I'm going to count the number of "numbers" Riley gives us in a game......but not sure I can count to 1 trillion!

I kind of admire the enthusiasm and pretty smooth delivery he has.....and maybe I'm just bummed about the loss last night...but the last two games in particular I've literally turned off the radio with a headache.

Bring on Bill Walton as a guest color man one night! What a long strange trip it's been!

However valid the complaint, I'm wondering if it isn't magnified by the fact we lost last night.

Mousegriz said:

It is not nearly as easy to do radio as it seems. Watching a fast paced sport like basketball and trying to describe the action plus add some stats and info can be difficult. Depending on your color guy it can be great or it can be a train wreck. Timing and being a good fit are crucial you can't just through anybody in as a color guy.
I would way rather be the PBP guy then color analyst cause you control the narrative.

I think Riley does great.

HelenaHandBasket said:
And here I thought someone was going to go on a racist rant.

I, for one, will not allow this outstanding post to go unnoticed.

Plus, I thought the same thing when I originally opened the thread. :oops:

Mousegriz said:

See the "A solid production by Eleven Sports" of February 10th... ;)

Mousegriz said:

I have felt this way for a long time. I just give up listening to him rattle on about all the statistics and not call what is going on on the floor. I know it is not an easy job, I know he likes the Griz, I know he is well prepared, and I
know he wants to be good. In my mind it is hard to replace Mick and I know it is time to move on. Maybe he should listen to other play by play commentators and then to his own broadcast. I don't need to know 10 times a game about our streak and all the other trivial statistics. He is trying and I will give him credit for that but he has a huge learning curve IMO.

FWIW I would never listen to Mr Know It All About Everything Bill Walton.

I like the job that Riley does. Then again, my focus usually is on the results of the offense and defense. I really don't pay much attention to stats that are being given.

Having announced college athletics for 30 years plus some NBA games before that, one thing the fan that listens the entire game may not understand that as announcers, we have to assume that fans are tuning in and out of the game at regular intervals. With that in mind, we often repeat a number of different facts throughout a broadcast, not just the score. We do that for the fan who may have just left a restaurant or a work shift and just turned on their car radio. It's our job to weave a story out of a game, but we do so knowing that some fans have come into the middle of the story, or keep popping in and out. We have to be aware of all of them, we just can't work for the ones that tune in from start-to-finish. I'm sorry that we can be obnoxious like that sometimes. When calling a radio game we don't have the luxury of running a "crawl" across the bottom of the screen with those facts we have to keep verbally repeating. If they're no longer pertinent we shouldn't have to keep repeating them, but if my team is about to lose its first league game of the year and it missed it's first six trey attempts of the second half, it's a big part of the story...still.

Thank you, votb. I think you offered a perspective most of us never consider. I totally enjoy Riley, and I, honestly, do not mind his repetitive stats. Walton, on the other hand, is so impressed with himself and with what UCLA did a thousand years ago that he can scarcely fit in talking about the game happening in front of him. I, too, loved him as a player (especially in his later days as a Celtic), but I truly will not listen to a game in which he is a commentator.

Riley has the potential to be the best Griz announcer ever. And I've religiously listened to a lot of them.
He's accurate. He's not a homer. He has a good voice and a lot of enthusiasm.
As citay says, your opinion may be colored by finally losing.

Back