• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dire story about NCAA basketball coaches

EverettGriz said:
And Coppin State will be the only program placed on probation.

I would tend to agree but this is a federal case and states that up to 50 schools are involved.

Can someone explain why whatever this is, is worthy of a massive federal investigation and lots of criminal charges? I'm not following this. What's the big issue or what's at stake? It strikes me as an odd use of significant resources.

But it looks like it may help the seeding of the Griz, if they make the ncaa's.

Paytonlives said:
EverettGriz said:
And Coppin State will be the only program placed on probation.

I would tend to agree but this is a federal case and states that up to 50 schools are involved.

Going with EG on this, hell it's the ncaa.

Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Michigan State, Texas, Washington etc are listed

https://articles.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2018/02/college_basketball_corruption.amp

PlayerRep said:
Can someone explain why whatever this is, is worthy of a massive federal investigation and lots of criminal charges? I'm not following this. What's the big issue or what's at stake? It strikes me as an odd use of significant resources.

But it looks like it may help the seeding of the Griz, if they make the ncaa's.

Well, because these coaches and agents allegedly violated several Federal laws, including bribery, conspiracy and wire fraud. It just so happens that one of the outgrowths of the investigation is that there is now apparently abundant hard evidence of NCAA violations, as well. The Feds won't investigate or prosecute those -- that will be left up to the NCAA. But they now have access to the kinds of evidence that is rarely available during NCAA investigations because the NCAA doesn't have the ability to use wire taps or undercover agents to collect evidence, like the FBI does. So this is really an opportunity to give the entire NCAA system a well-needed enema.

I still don't get why the federal government is wasting time and resources on this, but they certainly have uncovered a lot of ncaa violations.

Here are some of the schools:

"There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools. The documents link some of the sport’s biggest current stars – Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Alabama’s Collin Sexton and Duke’s Wendell Carter – to specific potential extra benefits for either the athletes or their family members. The amounts tied to players in the case range from basic meals to tens of thousands of dollars."

Go to the link and scroll down to see the ledger/list of players, payments, etc. Very interesting.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

PlayerRep said:
I still don't get why the federal government is wasting time and resources on this, but they certainly have uncovered a lot of ncaa violations.

"There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools. The documents link some of the sport’s biggest current stars – Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Alabama’s Collin Sexton and Duke’s Wendell Carter – to specific potential extra benefits for either the athletes or their family members. The amounts tied to players in the case range from basic meals to tens of thousands of dollars."

Go to the link and scroll down to see the ledger/list of players, payments, etc. Very interesting.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html
I don't consider investigating extensive violations of federal law "a waste of time and resources." These agents are enriching themselves by paying kids (and coaches, apparently) under the table so that they can represent them when they move on to the NBA. They're using the kids, essentially. It's the FBI's job to enforce these many federal laws.

The alleged NCAA violations are simply fallout from the criminal investigations. And if the fallout is as extensive as we are led to believe, I think you're going to see dramatic changes in the very foundation of collegiate athletics.

Bengal visitor said:
PlayerRep said:

I don't consider investigating extensive violations of federal law "a waste of time and resources." These agents are enriching themselves by paying kids (and coaches, apparently) under the table so that they can represent them when they move on to the NBA. They're using the kids, essentially. It's the FBI's job to enforce these many federal laws.

The alleged NCAA violations are simply fallout from the criminal investigations. And if the fallout is as extensive as we are led to believe, I think you're going to see dramatic changes in the very foundation of collegiate athletics.

In at least one case, the single charge is wire fraud. Huh? I agree with the defense attorneys that this probably isn't or shouldn't be a crime. What is the big federal crime of a shoe company paying players or families to go to schools where the shoe company has a contract? Just doesn't seem like some huge deal to me. I would rather have the federal government/FBI follow up on leads to prevent the Florida school shooting, and devote more time to preventing terrorism, to stopping more of the drug trade, to reducing murders in big cities, to reducing major crime.

" Attorneys representing former Adidas executives James Gatto and Merl Code and former sports agent Christian Dawkins argued in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York on Thursday morning that what their clients are accused of doing -- allegedly funneling money from Adidas to the families of high-profile recruits to ensure that the players signed with Adidas-sponsored schools and then Adidas and certain sports agents and financial planners once they turned pro -- doesn't constitute a federal crime.

Their attorneys also challenged the government's argument that the victims in the case are the universities where the players signed, because the players certified that they were eligible to play when they weren't, after they or their families accepted improper benefits."

PlayerRep said:
Bengal visitor said:
PlayerRep said:

In at least one case, the single charge is wire fraud. Huh? I agree with the defense attorneys that this probably isn't or shouldn't be a crime. What is the big federal crime of a shoe company paying players or families to go to schools where the shoe company has a contract? Just doesn't seem like some huge deal to me. I would rather have the federal government/FBI follow up on leads to prevent the Florida school shooting, and devote more time to preventing terrorism, to stopping more of the drug trade, to reducing murders in big cities, to reducing major crime.

" Attorneys representing former Adidas executives James Gatto and Merl Code and former sports agent Christian Dawkins argued in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York on Thursday morning that what their clients are accused of doing -- allegedly funneling money from Adidas to the families of high-profile recruits to ensure that the players signed with Adidas-sponsored schools and then Adidas and certain sports agents and financial planners once they turned pro -- doesn't constitute a federal crime.

Their attorneys also challenged the government's argument that the victims in the case are the universities where the players signed, because the players certified that they were eligible to play when they weren't, after they or their families accepted improper benefits."
Well of course their attorneys are going to allege all kinds of things. Ultimately a jury will decide if what they did violated Federal law. More than likely, after pleading such a "convincing defense," these same attorneys will reach some sort of plea bargain for their clients. But the bottom line is these folks are accused of violating Federal law, and yes, while we want the FBI to set priorities and use their enforcement discretion wisely, in the end it looks like they have uncovered a fairly wide spread net of corruption aimed at buying the influence of assistant coaches to steer these kids to specific agents. Is it a violation of Federal law? We shall soon find out.

Agree completely with BV.

And no doubt the ncaa is drawing up that 2 year tournament ban on Coppin State as we speak.

EverettGriz said:
Agree completely with BV.

And no doubt the ncaa is drawing up that 2 year tournament ban on Coppin State as we speak.

Would like to see the feds spend some time on the corruption within the NCAA.

Here's a good article and some excerpts:

Why is the FBI trying to enforce NCAA rules?
By Joe Nocera

When exactly did the FBI decide that NCAA regulations were the law of the land? When did it conclude that, in addition to hunting down terrorists and investigating insider trading, its mandate also included protecting amateurism in college sports?

For years, athletic-shoe companies like Nike and Adidas paid coaches to have their team wear their brand of sneaker. Were coaches like Rick Pitino, John Thompson and Jim Valvano being bribed by the shoe company representatives? You certainly could frame it that way.

But nobody did. Neither law enforcement nor the NCAA ever protested.

In 2006 — to pick just one among the many, many NCAA scandals over the years — two less-than-reputable agents gave the family of the University of Southern California’s star running back, Reggie Bush, gifts and benefits, including the free use of a house, worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. They did so in the expectation that Bush would sign with them when he decided to turn pro. (He didn’t.)

Although the university was severely punished by the NCAA, the FBI chose not to look into the matter. Why would it? Giving a star athlete’s family the use of a house may be unseemly, and it may violate NCAA’s rules regarding amateurism, but it doesn’t violate the laws of the United States. Not even close.

I ask again: What law is being violated? The Gatto indictment is particularly perplexing.

Last month, Adidas agreed to pay $160 million over 10 years for the University of Louisville to wear its apparel. That’s called a “deal.” But if the company then pays a high school athlete to attend the school, that’s called a “bribe”?

If that’s really the criteria, why isn’t a college scholarship a bribe? The college is trying to lure a student by offering money. Is it all that much different from what Adidas’ executive is charged with doing? The only “wrongdoing,” if you can call it that, is that the athlete has violated the NCAA’s amateurism rules.

As for what the assistant coaches have been charged with doing, there is also another word for it: “finder’s fee.” Agents paying assistant coaches to steer top athletes to them is hardly a new phenomenon. Coaches who are caught doing it are invariably punished by the NCAA, and lose their livelihood.

But never before has it been considered a criminal matter. Because it’s not.

It is true that the actions for which the coaches and others have been indicted take place in the shadows. And one would hardly call it an example of “best practices” in college coaching.

But that’s an issue for the NCAA, not law enforcement. The NCAA has real power to enforce its rules, because it can destroy the careers of both players and coaches who cross it. And despite the obvious fact that college basketball and football are multibillion-dollar businesses, with coaches and others being paid millions of dollars, the NCAA remains adamant that no money ever touch a player’s hand. That’s really the crux of the issue here.

But imagine if players had, say, the rights to their own likeness and image, or the right to sign autographs, or the right to be paid by a university or an agent directly. Imagine, that is, that the money was finally out of the shadows. If that were to happen, then “bribes” would suddenly be transformed into “deals.”

The absurd conflating of NCAA rules and federal law would end. The FBI really shouldn’t be doing the NCAA’s dirty work.

The bureau on Tuesday made the exchange of money that took place between the coaches and others sound truly nefarious. But its incentive is to make those involved appear as guilty as possible.

As this case makes its way through the courts, keep in mind one question: Guilty of what?

https://nypost.com/2017/09/27/why-is-the-fbi-trying-to-enforce-ncaa-rules/

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jaybilas/status/967112592538906624[/tweet]

Blow it up. Throw the whole f$&king bunch of them out. #emmertsepicfail

PlayerRep said:
Does anyone think that the ncaa wasn't at least vaguely aware of what was going on?

If there is someone, I have some ocean front property in North Dakota to sell him/her.

Maybe time to take the air out of these multimillion basketball factories, the NCAA, and its leadership.

Could be that with massive attrition good ol UM could garner a 1 seed by default

Step 2. Break up the mega dynasties in football!

Back