• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Our Boosters

If you have ever purchased Grizzly season tickets, you may be a booster.

If you have ever purchased Grizzly single game tickets, you may be a booster.

If you have ever attended a tailgate party, you may be a booster.

If you have ever purchased Grizzly apparel, you may be a booster.

If you have ever paid for parking on campus, you may be a booster.

If you have ever flushed a urinal on campus, you may be a booster.

Jaredkuehn said:

I could flush a million urinals on campus, buy a Griz sweatshirt, attend a tailgate, park on campus and be a season ticket holder, and I doubt that would keep DeCuire at Montana. I was talking about the OTHER kinds of boosters, the ones who have the capability to build buildings and keep coaches here.

citay said:
Jaredkuehn said:

I could flush a million urinals on campus, buy a Griz sweatshirt, attend a tailgate, park on campus and be a season ticket holder, and I doubt that would keep DeCuire at Montana. I was talking about the OTHER kinds of boosters, the ones who have the capability to build buildings and keep coaches here.

I doubt that UM has any boosters capable of keeping a coach here. Most of the bigger boosters are in the Roundball Club. If Travis gets a chance to go to the Pac-12, and I think he will within a few years, then he should do that. What an opportunity that would be for him.

I do know that Decuire reached out a couple of years ago to a group of legitimate deep-pocket boosters about providing some additional funding for the basketball program. I don't know exactly what the proposal was or if it has any legs. I doubt it would do much to keep Decuire from leaving, but its a step toward improving the program into the future.

I'm sure there are Egriz lurkers that have more information about it than I do, I'd be curious if anyone has any more details.

I think there is money out there to support Grizzly basketball in some way. A tournament run or two would probably go a long way in getting some donors' attention.

Haslem addressed boosters paying coach's salary during his introductory press conference of Bobby Hauck. He said the NCAA does not allow boosters to pay salaries. And if you think the Regents would allow a coach at UM to get a significantly greater salary than his/her counterpart at MSU you are mistaken.

And if I recall correctly, Kennedy was hired at an increase in salary, which necessitated a corresponding boost in compensation for Rob Selvig (Title IX, you know).

maroonandsilver said:
Haslem addressed boosters paying coach's salary during his introductory press conference of Bobby Hauck. He said the NCAA does not allow boosters to pay salaries. And if you think the Regents would allow a coach at UM to get a significantly greater salary than his/her counterpart at MSU you are mistaken.

And if I recall correctly, Kennedy was hired at an increase in salary, which necessitated a corresponding boost in compensation for Rob Selvig (Title IX, you know).
Obviously there are loopholes. I believe part, if not most of Nick Saban's contract is funded by donors. And I highly doubt the womens coaches at Duke & UNC are making as much as Coach K & Roy Williams, title IX be damned.

maroonandsilver said:

Yeah, I figure the MUS probably wants parody in salaries between the two schools. That makes it awfully tough for UM to retain Decuire in this case. That's an MUS decision, but not sure about NCAA?

I thought that Gonzaga was funding Mark Few's salary with alumni donations, but I could absolutely be mistaken on that.

I think one of the main goals in raising money for the basketball program is improve the recruiting and travel budget. I think there are also ways to offer housing allowances, etc. that are outside of UM paid salaries. What the MUS and NCAA can't do is dictate how donors earmark their donations. If a donation is earmarked for the basketball program, its spent on the basketball program. While donors may not be able to directly affect coaches salaries, they could provide funding for operations and perks that might help with both retention and the long term success of the program.

And if you think the Regents would allow a coach at UM to get a significantly greater salary than his/her counterpart at MSU you are mistaken.

And yet another reason for UM to finally rid ourselves of the anchor attached to our ankle that is the "we're okay with less than mediocrity" big sky conference. I guarantee that if UM's athletic revenue was $19 million greater than msu's that the Regents would allow for great salaries at UM.

It's time to face reality: UM and Travis have a vision. But that vision is impossible in the bsc.

EverettGriz said:
And if you think the Regents would allow a coach at UM to get a significantly greater salary than his/her counterpart at MSU you are mistaken.

And yet another reason for UM to finally rid ourselves of the anchor attached to our ankle that is the "we're okay with less than mediocrity" big sky conference. I guarantee that if UM's athletic revenue was $19 million greater than msu's that the Regents would allow for great salaries at UM.

It's time to face reality: UM and Travis have a vision. But that vision is impossible in the bsc.

I never like absolutes, but very very difficults I understand! hahaha
It made me wonder...how much money would MT generate if they made the sweet 16 under TDC? Well, here goes...
https://herosports.com/ncaa-tournament/how-much-money-ncaa-tournament-earned-conference-2017-basketball-fund-a7a7

What that says to me is that most likely the BSC rep that makes the dance...carries the lower guys. I'd be interested to see how the BSC actually distributes. If it is NOT equal, then that, to me, is where the discussion of "moving up" etc goes forward.
My thought, to be fair, would be for the first unit, it's shared equally. Any additional unit goes to the institution that is doing the BSC the huge favor of winning more than 1 game.

Back