• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Remaining Schedules

EverettGriz

DONOR
MONTANA:

@EWU, @Idaho, MSU, Weber, ISU

Idaho:

MSU, UM, @ISU, @Weber, NAU, SUU

Weber:

@PSU, @Sac, EWU, Idaho, @UM, @MSU

Idaho likely has the easiest remaining schedule. However, already with three losses, in order to win the league you pretty much have to assume they must run the table, and then have UM lose two games in addition to the head to head match up.

Man, Weber has a tough row to hoe. If they can go 6-0 with that schedule, they may well deserve to be league champs. However, even if they do, they must hope UM drops one other game.

UM, obviously, is in the driver's seat. It's difficult to imagine them losing home games to ISU or MSU. Weber has to hope that UM drops a game this weekend, and then they can come into Dahlberg and get a road win, thereby holding the tie-break assuming they win their remaining games.

I would guess that one win this coming weekend puts UM in great position. I cannot see Weber going 6-0 with those games, and I cannot see UM losing more than two down the stretch. Obviously a win over Weber would pretty much lock it up.

It sure would be nice to have the banner locked up prior to the final weekend so the starters can get a little rest.

Current conference standings from a post I made last night:

Montana 13-0
Weber 10-2
Idaho 9-3
EWU 7-5
NoCo 7-6
ISU 6-6
MSU 6-7
PSU 5-7
S. Utah 4-8
Sac St. 3-9
UND 3-10
NAU 1-11

I agree that Idaho has the easiest remaining schedule of the 3 schools you listed, Everett. I really hoped Northern Colorado could hold onto the upset of Weber last night, which would have made their road to the conference title that much harder.

Everett, I know where your gonna go with this and I’m right there with you. I’m sure you find it as interesting as I do that the top three teams haven’t played each other yet and only get one crack at each other. At least the league had the foresight to balance out who’s home so it sorta resembles a round robin for the #1 seed.

alabamagrizzly said:
Everett, I know where your gonna go with this and I’m right there with you. I’m sure you find it as interesting as I do that the top three teams haven’t played each other yet and only get one crack at each other. At least the league had the foresight to balance out who’s home so it sorta resembles a round robin for the #1 seed.
The Griz remaining schedule does lend itself to great drama! Our remaining 5 games are against the #2, 3, 4, 6, and 7 teams in the current standings; if they win out, this will certainly help our Sagarin, RPI, etc rankings.

alabamagrizzly said:

#bsc

EverettGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

#bsc

Agreed.

There is a very interesting and highly improbable fact in the current standings: there is not a single tie among the twelve teams! :eek:

62GRIZ said:
There is a very interesting and highly improbable fact in the current standings: there is not a single tie among the twelve teams! :eek:

I think you win eGriz for the day! Nice find. :thumb:

62GRIZ said:

That is an oddity, made possible only because of the unbalanced schedule and the fact that teams haven't all played the same number of games.

The race for the 4 seed and final bye will be interesting. Five teams are within 2 games, 4 within a game and half of that spot. Currently, Noco -- based on their win over Weber (for tie break purposes; they have split with ewoo, so the next tie break is wins over teams at the top of the conference) -- likely has the advantage. However, since ewoo still has to play Montana, that could change. Obviously a win over UM would give ewoo a leg up. A win over Weber would likely not help ewoo, as then the conference would look at the Idaho games. Idaho swept ewoo while noco has split with them.

Thanks so much for all the stats everyone...however I go by my metric....win and don't worry about the rest, when the smoke clears we'll see.

Quite the final slate for the Griz, glad 3 of the 5 are at home. This @Idaho and @EWU trip has to be the toughest test for this team in regards to in-conference play.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Where can I find the preseason predictions? I always enjoy reading and comparing how badly the "experts" miss it.

Google.

But as I recall, Idaho was picked first in both polls, Weebs second and I think msu and the GRIZ were either 3rd and 4th depending on the poll.

Just bought three seats behind the Griz bench in Cheney. Looking forward to watching this team in person on Thursday.

A question - we now have a top four seed and first round bye in the conference tourney. Should TDC give guys a rest, maybe play fewer minutes, say five minutes less or so, so some have fresh legs for the tourney? I'm not saying sit the starters, that never works out, just a more liberal use of guys on the bench. Here is a chance for others get quality minutes in a regular season game. I'm curious to hear what others think. My two cents, I see letting some bench guys get more quality minutes over the rest of the schedule. With the exception of the bobcats, stick with the 8 man rotation and run up the score on them.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
A question - we now have a top four seed and first round bye in the conference tourney. Should TDC give guys a rest, maybe play fewer minutes, say five minutes less or so, so some have fresh legs for the tourney? I'm not saying sit the starters, that never works out, just a more liberal use of guys on the bench. Here is a chance for others get quality minutes in a regular season game. I'm curious to hear what others think. My two cents, I see letting some bench guys get more quality minutes over the rest of the schedule. With the exception of the bobcats, stick with the 8 man rotation and run up the score on them.

Never been a fan of changing whats working and resting guys. If and it is a big if with the teams left on the schedule I would expand the bench late in games with a decent lead. Say 5-7 minutes left instead of the 1-3 minutes it seems back ups are getting.
This is a very tough conference and as sac st showed anyone can beat anyone, I want Montana going into tourney with no doubts who is best!

NorthEndZoneDan said:

Only if we secure that #1 seed. A guaranteed NIT bid is worth the risk.

EverettGriz said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:

Securing a better seed for a potential NCAA bid is important too.

DPGriz said:
EverettGriz said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:

Well of course. But I'm more likely to rest guys once that 1 seed is secure and get them ready to GET to the Dance. I saw some tired legs on Saturday. Being undefeated and getting a better seed are important. Having your team ready to do what they need to GET to tournament is paramount. If the guys don't need a rest, push 'em. If they do, sit 'em and take the chance we drop from a 12 to a 13 or 13 to a 14. Gotta buy the ticket before you worry about where your seats will be located.

EverettGriz said:
DPGriz said:
EverettGriz said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:

Well of course. But I'm more likely to rest guys once that 1 seed is secure and get them ready to GET to the Dance. I saw some tired legs on Saturday. Being undefeated and getting a better seed are important. Having your team ready to do what they need to GET to tournament is paramount. If the guys don't need a rest, push 'em. If they do, sit 'em and take the chance we drop from a 12 to a 13 or 13 to a 14. Gotta buy the ticket before you worry about where your seats will be located.

True, it's a more complicated decision if/when we lock down the top seed. Ideally we'd have gotten more minutes from the bench considering our conference margin of victory but the results speak for themselves.

Back