• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A solid production by Eleven Sports...

Silvertip

... highlighted by a pair of experienced broadcasters who obviously work well in tandem - and first class camera work. A nice change from Riley who is super knowledgeable on all things Griz but unfortunately still sounds like a pubescent teen calling the game from mom's hairbrush. However, in some fairness to him he would probably benefit from sharing mic time with a strong color analyst - if for no other reason than making it possible to do post game courtside interviews. Dumping Mick Holien was the first mistake amplified by not picking a more seasoned successor. In truth, UM basketball broadcast coverage, visually and orally, hasn't really improved since it used to be done by kids in the J-school. And the blame lays squarely with a parsimonious Learfield along with a large assist to a complicit athletic department.

The game may have had its largest online audience in a longtime considering that Eleven Sports, carried on numerous cable and satellite providers, claims to be available to 55 million subscribers.

blackfootipa said:
I think Riley is doing a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Riley does do a good job but Silver does paint a funny and somewhat accurate picture. I also did enjoy the two gentlemen from last nights game and wondered if there would be comments on here about how good a job they did. Low and behold a thread was actually started about them.

I was totally impressed with the 2 announcers of last nights game. I was wondering why they were not working with ESPN or the major networks they were that good. I totally enjoyed the way they announced the game.

Richard Cranium said:
I was totally impressed with the 2 announcers of last nights game. I was wondering why they were not working with ESPN or the major networks they were that good. I totally enjoyed the way they announced the game.

I agree completely. And I loved their objectivity. There were two teams in this game, and so we heard about both. They even got the names right, especially the one for the kid from New Zealand.

I'm not a big fan of rah-rah, bleeding-ulcer homers. I watch a lot of Warriors games with the local crew, but it's always refreshing to get see a national telecast on ABC or TNT, and hear the more objective reporting you get there.

I know Mick was a favorite on this board, but for all his talent, especially a great voice, the incessant "good-guys" homering drove me away from him. It's always funny to me that the very fans on this board who supported Mick just hate it when they have to watch a telecast from a rival opponent. What do they say, almost in unison? "That homer!"

citay said:
Richard Cranium said:

I agree completely. And I loved their objectivity. There were two teams in this game, and so we heard about both. They even got the names right, especially the one for the kid from New Zealand.

I'm not a big fan of rah-rah, bleeding-ulcer homers. I watch a lot of Warriors games with the local crew, but it's always refreshing to get see a national telecast on ABC or TNT, and hear the more objective reporting you get there.

I know Mick was a favorite on this board, but for all his talent, especially a great voice, the incessant "good-guys" homering drove me away from him. It's always funny to me that the very fans on this board who supported Mick just hate it when they have to watch a telecast from a rival opponent. What do they say, almost in unison? "That homer!"

I would argue there's a fine line there that Mick rarely crossed that many "homer" PBPs guys do, citay. No doubt Mick was an unabashed Griz fan/homer. He'd be the first to tell you so. And frankly, I expect that from any local PBP guy. They're hired to, in essence, support the home team.

I don't mind the home guy vocally supporting -- hell even rooting for -- the home team. Where I draw the line is the statements like we heard on the cat broadcast: "Akoh PLOWS OVER _____ and there's NO CALL!!!!!!" when it was so freaking obvious that the cat took a dive while Akoh was still 24 inches away. Be supportive of the home team, but call the game the way it occurs, not the way you wish it did, and I'll never have a negative word for you.

Oh, and I, too, think Riley is doing a great job. No, he doesn't have a great voice for radio, and you can count me among the skeptics when he was hired. But he's far exceeded my expectations, and I think he does a tremendous job of calling the action.

I agree the Eleven Sport guys were great. Very knowledgeable of the game particularly in the last few seconds regarding what was going through the coaches minds. The strategies they had to consider. The use of time outs ETC. Great broadcast.
Riley does better with BB then with FB. I don't remember who does the color with him for FB but he is awful. Absolutely screams into the mic for the most mundane plays. He needs to listen to recordings of his calls he'd be embarrassed. For us dis-placed Griz fans that live out of state. Trying to catch up on your team is a chore at times and it's disappointing when the guys doing the broadcasts suck.

Mich Griz said:
I agree the Eleven Sport guys were great. Very knowledgeable of the game particularly in the last few seconds regarding what was going through the coaches minds. The strategies they had to consider. The use of time outs ETC. Great broadcast.
Riley does better with BB then with FB. I don't remember who does the color with him for FB but he is awful. Absolutely screams into the mic for the most mundane plays. He needs to listen to recordings of his calls he'd be embarrassed. For us dis-placed Griz fans that live out of state. Trying to catch up on your team is a chore at times and it's disappointing when the guys doing the broadcasts suck.
You must be speaking of Greg Sundberg, who is the director of the GSA.

The play by play guy last night was Larry Weir. He does EWU football and basketball radio. He was honored earlier this year for doing his 1,000 game. I think you will hear a different broadcast if you watch the Pluto stream on Thursday.

debellatio said:
The play by play guy last night was Larry Weir. He does EWU football and basketball radio. He was honored earlier this year for doing his 1,000 game. I think you will hear a different broadcast if you watch the Pluto stream on Thursday.

Think they said last night that the same crew would be doing the EWU-Bobcat game next Saturday again for Eleven Sports. Have to add Weir to the short list with NAU's Mitch Stroman as PBP guys I wish were doing Griz games.

Back