• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Be Afraid...be very afraid. The coaching carousel is about to begin!.

Silvertip

And it's going to get an early start in Ft. Collins. CSU basketball coach Larry Eustacy is about to be shown the door amidst continued reports of him abusing his players. While I shudder at the thought - back in 1991 Stew Morrill was lured away by these same Rams. Travis no doubt is already on the radar of a number of western US programs that will be pondering releasing their own incumbent coaches.

Don't know what Travis is making, but needless to say it's a long way from what Eustacy is earning this year - $985,012 in a contract that calls for 2% escalators every year. We've been here too many times before, but until Montana closes the revolving door as Gonzaga has retaining Mark Few with big time bucks from deep-pocketed alumni UM's door will keep on spinning. :coffee:

I very much doubt DeCuire will leave for a Mountain West or low Pac-12 job. It's his feeling he can build this program into one that can compete on that level. Also, I don't think he'll leave after this year regardless.

kyle_sample said:
I very much doubt DeCuire will leave for a Mountain West or low Pac-12 job. It's his feeling he can build this program into one that can compete on that level. Also, I don't think he'll leave after this year regardless.

Agreed, this team loses one senior and it is set up to possibly make a special run next year.

kyle_sample said:
So what school would you say would have to offer him for him to leave Kyle? Cause I was kinda thinking he would leave for a low PAC 12 job, but your right I don’t see him leaving for a mountain west job.

Griz til I die said:
kyle_sample said:
So what school would you say would have to offer him for him to leave Kyle? Cause I was kinda thinking he would leave for a low PAC 12 job, but your right I don’t see him leaving for a mountain west job.

I think it would take a USC/UCLA/Washington/Oregon/Cal if it wasn't in financial turmoil or something along those lines to really entice him. He has a real comprehensive plan -- some parts of it have been put in place, others need a little help -- to turn Montana into a St. Mary's level. He thinks it could reach Gonzaga, but that's 20 years in the making and is going to take some booster help to reach it

Would be great if TD had a master plan for his career to turn UM into a Gonzaga. What a career achievement that would be. Maybe that is more motivation for TD than money. I still wouldnt blame him for taking a Pac12 job given the pay differential. I do think we would have to find private money to keep him here. If he continues to move this program forward he should get paid accordingly, with in reason. If he turned this into a Gonzaga he would have more than paid for himself in terms of money back to UM and Missoula. I agree I dont think just any Pac12 job would do.

cmtgrizzly said:
Would be great if TD had a master plan for his career to turn UM into a Gonzaga. What a career achievement that would be. Maybe that is more motivation for TD than money. I still wouldnt blame him for taking a Pac12 job given the pay differential. I do think we would have to find private money to keep him here. If he continues to move this program forward he should get paid accordingly, with in reason. If he turned this into a Gonzaga he would have more than paid for himself in terms of money back to UM and Missoula. I agree I dont think just any Pac12 job would do.
The SEC has some serious openings and a couple of them are looking at Charleston. There will be more than a few available across the country. Everyone is looking for the magic guy. I wonder what Oregon State fans really think of Tinkle.

You guys are on drugs if you don't think he would leave his base salary of $155,000 at MT for a salary near $1,000,000 at CSU in the Mountain west or low pac 12 team. That is life changing money at a way bigger and better program. I hope he stays but if the opportunity comes calling I hope he is smart enough to take it & not have some dumb loyalty that makes him pass up on a life changing opportunity. Even if he went to a low level Pac 12 school & only made it there for three years at $1,000,000/year it would take him almost twenty years at his current UM salary. NO brainer decision.

Greenacres Griz said:
You guys are on drugs if you don't think he would leave his base salary of $155,000 at MT for a salary near $1,000,000 at CSU in the Mountain west or low pac 12 team. That is life changing money at a way bigger and better program. I hope he stays but if the opportunity comes calling I hope he is smart enough to take it & not have some dumb loyalty that makes him pass up on a life changing opportunity. Even if he went to a low level Pac 12 school & only made it there for three years at $1,000,000/year it would take him almost twenty years at his current UM salary. NO brainer decision.

Actually, I don't think it is as much a no-brainer as you think. Travis knows he is on the cusp of something great with this team. He has been in the PAC-12 and knows the conference well. Travis also has supreme confidence in both himself and the vision he has for this program. Those who know him well all say the same, that they would be shocked if he left after the season for a low Pac 12 or Mountain West. Travis has sights set higher than the likes of Wazzu or Wyoming and the team he has right now (and especially next season) is his path to get there. That said, when the $$$ is on the table, he'll have to consider it regardless. A solid showing in the NCAA's could change things substantially.

Concern this.... Cal is a likely spot for Travis to land. He really wanted that job prior to taking the UM position, and should have got the gig. The Bears are having a challenging year, have been under-whelming with expectations not being met for the season. Coaching position may open up in Berkeley sooner rather than later...

I'm with Greenacres on this one...

...#$$$$$

Maybe All-Weather could to take Travis fly-fishing to His honey-hole and get Him.......all hooked up.

gotgame75 said:
Greenacres Griz said:

Actually, I don't think it is as much a no-brainer as you think. Travis knows he is on the cusp of something great with this team. He has been in the PAC-12 and knows the conference well. Travis also has supreme confidence in both himself and the vision he has for this program. Those who know him well all say the same, that they would be shocked if he left after the season for a low Pac 12 or Mountain West. Travis has sights set higher than the likes of Wazzu or Wyoming and the team he has right now (and especially next season) is his path to get there. That said, when the $$$ is on the table, he'll have to consider it regardless. A solid showing in the NCAA's could change things substantially.

I feel Travis would leave for a mid level or better power 5 job. I really am not worried at all, if and when he chooses to move to a better paying job. I honestly believe, he is grooming Coach Cobb to take over, when that time comes. For the record, I would be 100% on board with Cobb. Like DeCuire, he has an "IT" factor, that is hard to find. The only thing holding him back is his age and lack of HC experience. When Cobb gets his shot, he will rapidly (within 3 years) become one of the young shining star NCAA coaches.

If Cobb by chance doesn't get the job, moves, etc, I'd love to see what Carson Cunningham could do at the DIV 1 level. I feel he eventually will be a shining star Div 1 coach too. For me, it would be a difficult decision, if it came down to Cobb and Cunningham. Either way, I feel the GRIZ would come out Winners!!!!

Kabooom said:
Concern this.... Cal is a likely spot for Travis to land. He really wanted that job prior to taking the UM position, and should have got the gig. The Bears are having a challenging year, have been under-whelming with expectations not being met for the season. Coaching position may open up in Berkeley sooner rather than later...

I'm with Greenacres on this one...

...#$$$$$

Maybe All-Weather could to take Travis fly-fishing to His honey-hole and get Him.......all hooked up.

But the Cal's of the world aren't who we are taking about. No one disputes that he would take a job like that in a second. Anybody can agree with that notion. We are talking about low PAC 12 (Wazzu, OSU) and Mountain West teams. What I'm saying is that $$$ is not going to be the primary factor is decision making, but rather his fit it at the particular school.

I don't think he'll take a lower-rung Pac 12 job. I think he'll opt to build up the Montana program to a competitive enough level that it gives him more exposure and makes him more marketable. He seems pretty savvy.

TD is having a great season, however hold your horses on losing him.
He has not won the BSC reg season title
He has not won the BSC tourney title
He has yet to make the Big Dance

I agree he is building something special here, I just don't think AD's of top schools are ready to snatch him up.

Mavman said:

I agree he is building something special here, I just don't think AD's of top schools are ready to snatch him up.

The Voice of Reason....UM has not beaten anyone outside the conference with a stellar record.

Mavman said:

Travis and the GRIZ won the regular season title in his first year. Lost to ewoo in the championship game at Dahlberg.

AllWeatherFan said:
I don't think he'll take a lower-rung Pac 12 job. I think he'll opt to build up the Montana program to a competitive enough level that it gives him more exposure and makes him more marketable. He seems pretty savvy.

Tinks is struggling at Oregon State. Could be on the hot seat.

Back