• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Remember those DeCuire doubters?

I'll be honest, Kyle, I don't recall too many doubters when TDC was hired, but -- this being eGriz -- I have little doubt they existed. That said, I believe I answered your question as to why they haven't returned, this being eGriz and all.

Anyone who doubted Travis simply does not understand basketball. Recall that Monty was pushing him -- hard -- for the Cal job. A guy with Montgomery's rep doesn't risk doing that unless he strongly believes in him.

EverettGriz said:
I'll be honest, Kyle, I don't recall too many doubters when TDC was hired, but -- this being eGriz -- I have little doubt they existed. That said, I believe I answered your question as to why they haven't returned, this being eGriz and all.

Anyone who doubted Travis simply does not understand basketball. Recall that Monty was pushing him -- hard -- for the Cal job. A guy with Montgomery's rep doesn't risk doing that unless he strongly believes in him.

My brother is a big time UNLV supporter and season ticket holder down there. TDC is all they talk about. I hope he stays for at least one more year or longer! He’s building something special up here!

Won't consider myself a doubter at all and attend most games including last night's. Early in season shooting issues were my main concern and had always had issues with Krslovic offensive skills. Akoh was slow at the start of the year so the "big man" question was there a bit. Both those two guys making strides in all facets of their games. Akoh has played very well but still puts up a few mysterious "off the palm" layins that don't always go in. He had a few of those last night or could have had 30.

Love the way this team plays its roles with every guy buying into hard nose hustling defense. Morehead and Krslovic in particular scrap and fight.....don't worry about scoring....and are big parts of the team.

Now pretty worried that Decuire won't be here past next year...I hope not after this year. He's a damn good coach and it shows with his team!

Go Griz!

I was doubting him, possibly in the thread mentioned above, earlier in the season. But that's cuz I'm an idiot :thumb:
AllWeather, I was a doubter, but have been to every game this season!
This team is crazy, and my opinions earlier in the year show that I do not have a future in basketball evaluation :)

griznative24 said:
I was doubting him, possibly in the thread mentioned above, earlier in the season. But that's cuz I'm an idiot :thumb:
This team is crazy, and my opinions earlier in the year show that I do not have a future in basketball evaluation :)

:lol: :clap:

griznative24 said:

You are forgiven, my son. :lol:

kyle_sample said:
Where are they now?

I think it was fair to have had some doubts. One major issue was up front. DeCuire's first year here, he had two bigs, Breunig and Krslovic, both Tinkle recruits. Then for two years, only Krslovic, a forward really, not a center. Alphonso Anderson had left, Akoh needed a redshirt year, and Nicholas was still playing high school ball. Another guy who might have qualified as a big, at least a guy who could help us on the boards, was Bobby Moorehead, but he was mired in a dreadful sophomore slump. In a way last year, we were playing with half a team--great guards, but woeful up front. You knew DeCuire was a guard, and valued guard play. But could he solve our problems up front?

That was very much an issue last year.

Of course, Akoh has been perhaps the biggest surprise of the year to me. I knew he'd help us on the boards, because he'd done that at Fullerton. But I was not prepared for his low-post offensive skills. At least in this conference, he's been dominant.Plus his presence takes some pressure off Krslovic, who has been terrific this year. Not to mention another stud up front, Nicholas. Not to mention the great contribution that Moorehead has made on the boards this year. I don't think anybody could have anticipated the improvement up front this year.

But a year ago, in DeCuire's third year, with a 16-win season following two twenty-win seasons? I believe the criticism, what there was, was justified.

And c'mon! There really wasn't much of that.

I was doubting him a little even posted whether or not his job should be reviewed if they did not make Big Dance. I did not like how tight the team seemed at the end of games early in the season, also wondered if he had reached his ceiling as coach. (talent no rings)
Boy was I wrong wrong wrong!
I was also wrong thinking PSU would win conference after their pre season showing!
I will now sit back keep my mouth shut and enjoy the results of TD and teams hard work!

citay said:
kyle_sample said:
Where are they now?

I think it was fair to have had some doubts. One major issue was up front. DeCuire's first year here, he had two bigs, Breunig and Krslovic, both Tinkle recruits. Then for two years, only Krslovic, a forward really, not a center. Alphonso Anderson had left, Akoh needed a redshirt year, and Nicholas was still playing high school ball. Another guy who might have qualified as a big, at least a guy who could help us on the boards, was Bobby Moorehead, but he was mired in a dreadful sophomore slump. In a way last year, we were playing with half a team--great guards, but woeful up front. You knew DeCuire was a guard, and valued guard play. But could he solve our problems up front?

Of course, Akoh has been perhaps the biggest surprise of the year to me. I knew he'd help us on the boards, because he'd done that at Fullerton. But I was not prepared for his low-post offensive skills. At least in this conference, he's been dominant.Plus his presence takes some pressure off Krslovic, who has been terrific this year. Not to mention another stud up front, Nicholas. Not to mention the great contribution that Moorehead has made on the boards this year. I don't think anybody could have anticipated the improvement up front this year.

But a year ago, in DeCuire's third year, with a 16-win season following two twenty-win seasons? I believe the criticism, what there was, was justified.

forgive-1.jpg

AllWeatherFan said:
citay said:
kyle_sample said:
Where are they now?

forgive-1.jpg

For what?

citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:
citay said:
kyle_sample said:
Where are they now?

forgive-1.jpg

For what?

I think AWF is just having some fun lobbing "I Told You So" bombs. We shouldn't be too surprised when an occasional innocent bystander is hit with some shrapnel... :D

I know Growler on the board that must not be spoken of was very much against him.

I will say, if they drop the Weber or Idaho game, there'll be some grumbling. And if they don't win the tourney, some of the same doubters will be right back and as loud as ever.

I said that I was worried that TDC was over coaching, there were times when he would sit a player to coach him up rather than letting play go and finding a better spot to talk to the player. There were times when this stepped on momentum. He has a different approach now. Last night in the second half Falls was having a rough stretch, TDC left him him and found a spot to take him out and talk to him on the bench. He actually faced Falls and kneeled to talk while looking at play over his shoulder, something that he rarely did last year. It was a lengthy coach speak but it was necessary, and even better, he didnt step on the team's momentum to do so.
and as Citay says, c'mon man, there wasnt that much of that anyways.

Come on now. It’s EASY to not be a doubter THIS year....but in years’ past, you have to admit TD’s teams have underperformed, relative to expectations. They seemed to play almost every P5 team well until the last 5 minutes, being close or even ahead and then getting run out of the gym and losing by 10. There were inexplicable stretches in almost every game where they’d just go cold and turn a blowout into a close game or a close game into a loss. We have not (in seasons past) seen the kind of 2nd half adjustments we’ve become accustomed to this year...we have not, in seasons’ past, seen the kind of buy-in on the defensive end that we’ve seen this year, and with awesome results.

I’ll be honest, after his first two years, I was a doubter. I wondered if he really had what it took to get this team over the top. Obviously that doubt has since evaporated. :D :D

Oh, and for full disclosure, i’ve not been to a single game in TD’s tenure...but I’ve watched just about every one on TV and I have a question:

WHAT IN THE HELL IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO FILL DAHLBERG? I couldn’t BELIEVE I saw empty seats on last night’s telecast....

My post from the doubter thread earlier this season:

"I like DeCuire and think he's a talented coach and good find/get for UM. His conference record has been good. He's attracted some very fun players to watch. Wish the teams had each been a bit better. Fine with others asking the questions, but I won't be spending my time analyzing those things."

And from after the Carroll game:

"It seems the Griz should be better. I can't put my finger on why they aren't. I like all the players."

...been a decuire since day one...
...that said..am i the only one around here...
...get some oversized glasses and hike the pants...
...do a helluva urkel at the next halloween party...

... :shock: ...

citay said:
kyle_sample said:
Where are they now?

I was closer to the team than most, so I did see that coming -- as did the coaches. They knew this was the season things were going to go in the direction they wanted. They knew what they had coming in and how it would allow the team to play. They knew they had set the foundation -- though there have been a few areas they reconsidered and tweaked a bit -- that would produce a season similar to this. I don't think they thought they'd be 12-0 in conference, but they knew the talent level of the team they had.
I think a lot of the criticism stemmed from normal fan angst. Results started to sag from the previous two years and a bit of panic set in. Personally I never thought it was warranted, but knowing Griz fans and seeing how they react to upswings and downswings, I wasn't surprised.
Getting a behind the scenes look at Travis' big plans for the program, it was obvious he was a complete coach. He recruited well, he politicked well, he marketed well, he scheduled well, he fundraised well and he coached really, really well. Talk to coaches and they rave about his ability to adjust during the course of a game and about his offensive strategies.
The last three teams were not the style he wanted to play, but he got the most out of every team, and now that he has the players in the places he's always wanted, all those lofty goals he set out when he was hired, are starting to show up in the standings and stats.

If you go back and read the board from last year, there were doubts -- more than I expected. But those seem to have completely disappeared.

Back