• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How does this team stack up with other Grizzly greats?

AllWeatherFan

DONOR
I know the season is still young, but this team shows a lot of promise, and should have a 16-5 record after Saturday's game. So my question is, how does this team compare with other great Griz teams in UM history?

I'd put it in the top three of all time, barring a miraculous collapse. Tell my why I'm wrong. (Not you, PR.)

I think their consistent 3 point shooting issue is what keeps them out of the top 3 currently. The way today's game is played, that needs to be a decent part of the overall offense, and 32% doesn't cut it. I think they are top 10...but if things continue to go well, could be top 3-5. Defense is great, but they need to win out to be top 3 in my opinion.

Think you gotta wait out the year. Toughest conference games still ahead, with exception of the big win at PSU. I think the 1990 -1992 team were my favorites and among the best. Then the Cherry and Jamar teams recently. For a long time Griz had reputation of being very good but then not producing conference championships. Tough competition but also some tough losses in big games over the course of many years.

Most talented ever (never watched them myself) had to be 1977 - Micheal Ray, Lee Johnson (both NBA 1st round), Ben and Steve Demers, Kirk Rocheleau, John Stroeder (got a cup of coffee in NBA).

Toughest challenge for Griz men bball has been closing the deal. "Best evers" win the conference for sure and maybe even give a scare or beat a higher seeded team in the NCAA's. The Cherry/Jamar teamsdisappointed in NCAA's...those 1990 - 1992 guys played a couple big time teams OK.

Let's win the conference and then we can start ranking this team with a few others. ...the Fabulous Frosh of 1953 were pretty good too!

The 74-75 Griz team is the best I can remember... almost beat UCLA (John Wooden) when they were on a long undefeated streak in the NCAA tourney. UCLA had won 9 of 10 NCAA titles!!

Micheal Ray, Micheal John, Ken McKenzie, Eric Hayes.

But athletically this UM team would run circles around them.

Mousegriz said:
Most talented ever (never watched them myself) had to be 1977 - Micheal Ray, Lee Johnson (both NBA 1st round), Ben and Steve Demers, Kirk Rocheleau, John Stroeder (got a cup of coffee in NBA).

Agree! And yes I got to watch them!

If this tram went undefeated in conference, won the tournament and got the 12 or 13 seed and beat a 5 or 4 seed like the win against Nevada. That would be get them way up there, among the top teams. Considering they only lose Kryslo next year, this team and next years teams could have one heck of a run! I still remember watching Eric Hayes on tv against that UCLA team. He almost single handedly beat them with 30 something points. They had Marques Johnson and Dave Meyers. My first memory of the Road to the Final Four; but I think it was a much shorter road. Like four rounds? I don’t know. Heathcote was the coach I think. Two Richardsons and McKenzie. Wooden for UCLA! It was so cool,

Paytonlives said:
The 74-75 Griz team is the best I can remember... almost beat UCLA (John Wooden) when they were on a long undefeated streak in the NCAA tourney. UCLA had won 9 of 10 NCAA titles!!

:thumb:

Paytonlives said:
Mousegriz said:

As did I....heyday of Griz BBall....never really been back to that level...used to cram every seat and nook and cranny of Dahlberg Arena....

AllWeatherFan said:
I know the season is still young, but this team shows a lot of promise, and should have a 16-5 record after Saturday's game. So my question is, how does this team compare with other great Griz teams in UM history?

I'd put it in the top three of all time, barring a miraculous collapse. Tell my why I'm wrong. (Not you, PR.)

Which teams are the top 3?

Note that I didn't tell you that you were wrong. Just asked a question. Can you answer it, or was it too tough?

PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Note that I didn't tell you that you were wrong. Just asked a question. Can you answer it, or was it too tough?

Why are you like this?

Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Why are you like this?

:lol:

Paytonlives said:

1. 74-75'-THE starting-point that every future legit team should be judged. The Griz damn-near knocked off the greatest dynasty in the history of NCAAA b-ball (UCLA 67- UM 64). Would you believe only 4 Griz scored in that game? And M Ray had only 2 pts (in 35 minutes). McKenzie,Hays and Smedley scored the other 62. The most surprising fact I just discovered: Jud Heathcote didn't go to Michigan State until after the 75-76' season after the Griz went 13-12. How the heck did Michigan State recruit a .500 Big Sky conference coach? Seriously, I'd like to know. That would NEVER happen today.
2. 86-87' (Krysko's sr yr)
3. 91-92'-Fasting,Engelelent,Delvon Anderson, Keith Crawford and Nate Atchison and a young Travis DeCuire. They lost to a star-studded Florida State team in the NCAA tourney that featured 4 future NBA-ers including Charlie Ward, Sam Cassell, Bobby Sura,& Doug Graham. Gary Kane missed a 3-pointer with 4-5 minutes left that could have cut the lead to 2? and it was never in real doubt after that, but I couldn't believe we hung with them that long (I was there). That FSU team was coached by Fat Pat Kennedy,who would later be the worst coaching decision in UM history and bring UM's budget to ground-zero. It's easy to coach 4 future NBA-ers. That was all Pat could do:BS/recruit (and spend money), he was a terrible coach, without future NBA-ers, as we all saw, and some of us are still feeling the affects.
4. 2005-06-Griz beat a supposed NBA first round early-entry Jr Nick Fazekas (Nevada), who was absolutely schooled by Andrew Strait, and Fazekas literally ran off the court after the game without shaking anyone's hands (like a little bitch), and was never a relevant prospect thus-after. (2nd rd pick the next year and only played 26 NBA games). ALL because of Andrew Strait. Strait cost that loser millions of dollars, literally. :)
5. 90-91' Griz got screwed having to play the #1 team in the country-UNLV (which featured 5! future NBA-eras), which dismantled us (99-65), but it remains the most unjust paring the Big Sky has ever got. No Way were the Griz the worst team in the tourney that year, and UNLV was a unanimous #1.

Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Why are you like this?

What do you mean by "this"? Like why did I ask him what his top 3 was?

Zirg said:
Paytonlives said:

1. 74-75'-THE starting-point that every future legit team should be judged. The Griz damn-near knocked off the greatest dynasty in the history of NCAAA b-ball (UCLA 67- UM 64). Would you believe only 4 Griz scored in that game? And M Ray had only 2 pts (in 35 minutes). McKenzie,Hays and Smedley scored the other 62. The most surprising fact I just discovered: Jud Heathcote didn't go to Michigan State until after the 75-76' season after the Griz went 13-12. How the heck did Michigan State recruit a .500 Big Sky conference coach? Seriously, I'd like to know. That would NEVER happen today.
3. 91-92'-Fasting,Engelelent,Delvon Anderson, Keith Crawford and Nate Atchison and a young Travis DeCuire. They lost to a star-studded Florida State team in the NCAA tourney that featured 4 future NBA-ers including Charlie Ward, Sam Cassell, Bobby Sura,& Doug Graham. Gary Kane missed a 3-pointer with 4-5 minutes left that could have cut the lead to 2? and it was never in real doubt after that, but I couldn't believe we hung with them that long (I was there). That FSU team was coached by Fat Pat Kennedy,who would later be the worst coaching decision in UM history and bring UM's budget to ground-zero. It's easy to coach 4 future NBA-ers. That was all Pat could do:BS/recruit (and spend money), he was a terrible coach, without future NBA-ers, as we all saw, and some of us are still feeling the affects.
4. 2005-06-Griz beat a supposed NBA first round early-entry Jr Nick Fazekas (Nevada), who was absolutely schooled by Andrew Strait, and Fazekas literally ran off the court after the game without shaking anyone's hands (like a little bitch), and was never a relevant prospect thus-after. (2nd rd pick the next year and only played 26 NBA games). ALL because of Andrew Strait. Strait cost that loser millions of dollars, literally. :)
5. 90-91' Griz got screwed having to play the #1 team in the country-UNLV (which featured 5! future NBA-eras), which dismantled us (99-65), but it remains the most unjust paring the Big Sky has ever got. No Way were the Griz the worst team in the tourney that year, and UNLV was a unanimous #1.

Good work! Some good teams in there and fun to reminisce. Nice to have some discussion in the thread.

Paytonlives said:
Mousegriz said:

77 team is the first Griz team I remember 6yrs old and thought those guys were super heroes.
Followed MRR in NBA and CBA also followed Stroeder when he was in CBA. Albany Patroons Baby!!
90-92 was the years I went to the most games Delvon (can't say enough), Kane, Fastenings, Engelant, Crawford, Decuire and many more. Great games great times.

Zirg said:
Paytonlives said:

This is the most sane and absolutely correct post that I have ever seen about basketball on eGriz. Not sarcastic.

Mousegriz said:
Zirg said:
Paytonlives said:

1. 74-75'-THE starting-point that every future legit team should be judged.
2. 1986 (Krysko's sr yr) <-- Under-achieved. Lost to MSU in conference tourney.
3. 91-92'-Fasting,Engelelent,Delvon Anderson, Keith Crawford and Nate Atchison and a young Travis DeCuire. They lost to a star-studded Florida State team in the NCAA tourney
4. 2005-06-Griz beat a supposed NBA first round early-entry Jr Nick Fazekas (Nevada), who was absolutely schooled by Andrew Strait, and
5. 90-91' Griz got screwed having to play the #1 team in the country-UNLV

Good work! Some good teams in there and fun to reminisce. Nice to have some discussion in the thread.

Zirg said:
Paytonlives said:

This is a great list, well done Zirg! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:
I know the season is still young, but this team shows a lot of promise, and should have a 16-5 record after Saturday's game.
So my question is, how does this team compare with other great Griz teams in UM history?

He asked the question before you did PR. Can you answer it or is it just that much easier to mindlessly derail yet another thread.

Back