• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mens bb

conradgriz

What a great start the men's basketball team is off to this year it was great to see them beat the cats last night... I only wish Griz had a few Montana kids on the team. I know Samuelson left and spoja doesn't get hardly any time. I hope we aren't getting away from signing local Montana kids....

conradgriz said:
What a great start the men's basketball team is off to this year it was great to see them beat the cats last night... I only wish Griz had a few Montana kids on the team. I know Samuelson left and spoja doesn't get hardly any time. I hope we aren't getting away from signing local Montana kids....
Name some Montana kids that should be on the team that aren't. Mack Anderson from Bozeman coming in next year, but I'm betting it's mostly because we think he's a player, not because of his geographic location.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

conradgriz said:
I'm sure if they're good they will be recruited.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

conradgriz said:

The better Montana high school athletes usually play football. The better basketball players choose to play out of state. Tinkle and Manuel went to OSU. Huestis chose Stanford. If the GRIZ want to get the better in state talent, they have to make a better name for themselves. Also, more needs to be done at the high school levels to develop DIV 1 talent. Cannot expect UM or MSU just to take a semi talented Montana player, just because he is from Montana.

Rather unusual for any DI basketball program to have more than one or two in-state kids.

Besides, once they don that uniform that says, "MONTANA" across the front, they ARE Montana kids.

EverettGriz said:
Rather unusual for any DI basketball program to have more than one or two in-state kids.

Besides, once they don that uniform that says, "MONTANA" across the front, they ARE Montana kids.
:thumb:

Mack Anderson is a commit from bozeman and Rollie Worster from Hellgate is a future Griz (has committed already as a sophomore)

conradgriz said:
Conrad, I respect your point, however, Travis has been signing some outstanding student-athletes. He is building a first rate program that I’m sure will continue to include Montana kids that meet the standard of ability.

Duke has zero from NC, Kentucky has 1 KY kid, Kansas 2 from Kansas. Those are some big B.B. schools that have minimal in state impact. None are good at football so youd Think in state goals are to play for those guys. I agree it’s fun to root for in state kids, even in football, but I’d rather win with the best student athletes.

This is the mindset of Griz fans that kills me. There are not enough Montana boys to field a great team! Griz fans want to win everything but only if it is with Montana kids smdh

conradgriz said:

Opposing coaches point out this "Montana kids" thing as a racial bias to recruits, as Montana has a predominately white population. Is that what you are really saying? You want more white kids on the BB team?

Ridiculous all I meant was nice having Warhank-Camel-Chavez etc because they had a fan base that followed them... Thanks

conradgriz said:
Ridiculous all I meant was nice having Warhank-Camel-Chavez etc because they had a fan base that followed them... Thanks
Ridiculous how? Was there ever any reason to think the griz would stop recruiting the jr camels of Montana?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I think that's the key! The top Montana talent in basketball is always going to be looking to play for a team that consistently produces tournament invites. If anyone thinks that UM or MSU did not try to recruit either Huestis or Edwards coming out of high school you are woefully mistaken.

There's a big difference in recruiting a kid and then signing him/her particularly when the Stanford's and Gonzaga's of this world come calling as well.

Gaeilge1 said:
I think that's the key! The top Montana talent in basketball is always going to be looking to play for a team that consistently produces tournament invites. If anyone thinks that UM or MSU did not try to recruit either Huestis or Edwards coming out of high school you are woefully mistaken.

There's a big difference in recruiting a kid and then signing him/her particularly when the Stanford's and Gonzaga's of this world come calling as well.

I'm pretty sure we didn't offer Edwards. That was a good move too because that kid can't play

maroonandsilver said:
Opposing coaches point out this "Montana kids" thing as a racial bias to recruits, as Montana has a predominately white population. Is that what you are really saying? You want more white kids on the BB team?

Racism is like farting. The smeller's the feller.

conradgriz said:
How many players of the caliber of Warhank, JR Camel, and Mike Chavez have come out of MT high schools that the Griz didn't recruit? We always try to get the guys that can play at a D1 level. Criswell, Hasquet, and Selvig come to mind. There haven't been players like that since.

conradgriz said:

Montana can only sport 1 legit D1 player right now (Tinkle). Do you want to be competitive or have Montana natives? Montana hs b-ball is ranked either #48 or 49 depending on the site. You mentioned old players that WERE capable of playing D1, but Samuelson (and Spoja) have/had no business playing d-1.

No way were Criswell and Warhank recruited by Any D-1 schools besides UM and Msu (perhaps). I'm pretty sure Criswell was a walk-on at first. Both earned there place, despite being slow Montana white boys and god-bless them for busting their ass to make themselves competent D-1 players (eventually) but seriously, besides Tinkle, what Montana HS b-baller has really down anything in the last 20 years?

Both National b-ball Hall of Famers that grew up in Montana played their college hoops out of state. I know you'll all get 1 of 2 (very obvious), but I will be shocked if anyone can name the 2nd-nobody knows about this guy's Montana besides me. Wayne Estes was clearly the best player ever from Montana, IMO, but he is not a HOF-er, due to his early untimely death.

Back