• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Keys to beating the Cats

Griz til I die

DONOR
Oh boy it’s GRIZ-cat week, and it seems we have all the momentum heading into the game. So I thought I’d put together a list of keys to a Griz victory in Bozeman on Saturday.
1. Get Akoh going early. Akoh was kinda quiet on this last road trip, especially in the PSU game where he had only 7 points and ended up fouling out. A big game game from him, and the Griz will leave Bozeman with a 20 point victory.
2. 3 point shooting. Our 3point shooting has been significantly better since conference has started. Some 3s from Rorie, Oguine, Moorehead, and Falls will be huge for the Griz. I’m expecting a big game from Falls and I wanna see him draining some 3s in the game.
3. Keep being scrappy The Griz are number 1 in the Big Sky in forcing turnovers, and in a game like this, they will be crucial. We need to get some balls on the floor and guys on the floor. This could be one of the easier games for the Griz to force turnovers, so capitalizing on them will be very Important.
4. Shut down Tyler Hall. Tyler Hall is the bread and butter of the whole team. If the Griz can put some pressure on him, and make it tough for him to score, the Griz will roll, because they’re nothing without him. The Griz have to make him feel uncomfortable and maybe even get him into a little bit of foul trouble, which would be even nicer,
5. Silence the crowd.If there’s one thing I can say about the cats, it’s that they always sell out the game. If the Griz can jump on them early, they’ll get the crowd out of it which will only help the Griz.

—————————-
I wanna see as much maroon and silver as possible there. The Griz and Lady Griz are both playing extremely well right now, and we will have chance to sweep in Bozeman for the first time in a while. I’m bringing 8 people with me to the game on Saturday and I’ll be at the women’s game too. Hope to see you there loud and proud Griz nation.
GO GRIZ!!!

Good post - but be patient / not overly aggressive on defense.

Travis knows from his playing days - refs will be calling it close and the Griz need to avoid foul trouble in Bozeman.

One of my all-time-favorite games was the "Sprite" game where Tinkle stole a win from them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Griz til I die said:
Oh boy it’s GRIZ-cat week, and .
3. Keep being scrappy The Griz are number 1 in the Big Sky in forcing turnovers, and in a game like this, they will be crucial. We need to get some balls on the floor and guys on the floor. This could be one of the easier games for the Griz to force turnovers, so capitalizing on them will be very Important.
4. Shut down Tyler Hall. Tyler Hall is the bread and butter of the whole team. If the Griz can put some pressure on him, and make it tough for him to score, the Griz will roll, because they’re nothing without him. The Griz have to make him feel uncomfortable and maybe even get him into a little bit of foul trouble, which would be even nicer,
GO GRIZ!!!

1. Do not hurt yourself getting off the bus.

2. There is no two.

I kid, I kid.

They always play us tough in Bozeman. Just play Grizzly basketball. That's the key. If we do what we do, they cannot beat us.

My favorite Griz cat game in Bozeman was when the cats hosted the tourney and The Griz Trammelized them in the semi-final. I was there watching with my older cat fan brother. The silence after the game was sweet!

Starting the conference out 7-0 would be awesome! Just one game will get the Griz some well needed rest. Those were two two tough games. I love the second half intensity of this team.

Two keys....the Cats go as Tyler Hall and Harald Frey go.....you stop those two and you win, literally. When they win it's because those two are hot and keep the Cats in the game. When they struggle the team struggles, mightily. It's really just that.

HookedonGriz said:
Two keys....the Cats go as Tyler Hall and Harald Frey go.....you stop those two and you win, literally. When they win it's because those two are hot and keep the Cats in the game. When they struggle the team struggles, mightily. It's really just that.

That is one thing I love about this Griz team , Rorie and Oguine are steady scores every night however
Akoh,Moorehead, Falls,Nichols, and padgett can step up and have big games too. Montana is not reliant on one or two scorers. Shut one down a couple more step up.

As far as threes go get the damn ball inside to the bigs let them work and then penetrate with the guards.
3pt shots should be option 3 with this team.

...like vegas..win early play on house money...
...like a horse race..beat them out the gate...
...like a street fight..throw the first punch...

... :yikes: ...

Don't the Cats usually play pretty small? I'm not sure they have anyone that can defend Akoh man to man in the paint. If Akoh comes ready to play, you make them pick their poison. Either double team Akoh at the expense of leaving lanes open, or play him man to man, and risk having him go off for another big game. Similar to NCU, Akoh could be the key to winning this game. I hope he can stay out of foul trouble.

Watch out for Hall and Frey. Gotta make it a long night for those guys. Don't give the crowd anything to get excited about.

Just guessing here but, I think we need to score more points then them to win....This has got to be the key point.

Actually, I think if Hall gets his 25 points, we'll be just fine. I say turn Timmy Falls and/or Bobby Moorehead loose on him and don't get Oguine in foul trouble.

Akoh will be tough for them to defend. Hopefully they'll double him up and leave us with somebody open for the dish. Or they'll foul him.

We have too many weapons for the Cats to defend. MSU fans should be on the trail of tears by ten minutes into the second half.

Jaredkuehn said:
Don't the Cats usually play pretty small? I'm not sure they have anyone that can defend Akoh man to man in the paint. If Akoh comes ready to play, you make them pick their poison. Either double team Akoh at the expense of leaving lanes open, or play him man to man, and risk having him go off for another big game. Similar to NCU, Akoh could be the key to winning this game. I hope he can stay out of foul trouble.

Watch out for Hall and Frey. Gotta make it a long night for those guys. Don't give the crowd anything to get excited about.

Montana State does not play a player taller than 6-6 in its nine-man rotation. Senior Benson Osayande, who is 6-9, only plays 7 minutes per game.

Jaredkuehn said:

I didnt see this post until now but just posted something similar on another thread. Agreed :thumb:

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Jaredkuehn said:

Montana State does not play a player taller than 6-6 in its nine-man rotation. Senior Benson Osayande, who is 6-9, only plays 7 minutes per game.

Just drive and feed Akon in the low post! Could also see Kryslo with his nice high post passing to Akoh, and getting a lot of points himself! Akoh may be scoring more points than Hall in this one!

This looks like the football board on November 15th.....It will be a battle on Saturday. Ball has to go in the basket and sometimes it does for one team much better than the other. Griz look better on paper but the game will still be played.

ilovethecats said:
akoh has got to be licking his chops for this game

Have watched the cats a bit (when I can) this year and yeah Akoh should hopefully have a good game againt the Cats. The Cats haven't shown much in the post on O or D which has to be concerning to cat fans. That said, the Cats do have players other than Hall and Frey that can hurt the Griz. Blevins had a hell of a game against NAU in that overtime win. He really stepped up that game when Frey and Hall were struggling shooting. Without Blevins that would've been a very bad loss.

I'm still wondering when Konner Frey (not Harald Frey)) is going to go off for 20+ or something. He was one of the top scorers & led the team in rebounds for Utah Valley State in 2015-2016 before transferring to the Cats. He averaged 14.1 points and over 7 rebounds a game in about 28 mins a game. The leading scorers for UVU averaged 14.4 and 14.3, so very close. With the Cats he's averaging only 5.7 points and 4.5 rebounds in 15.7 mins a game. Is there a nagging injury? I thought he'd be one of the key pieces along with Harald Frey and Hall this year for the Cats.

Back