• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

DeCuire's View of Minor Scuffle Last Night

PlayerRep

“I expect my team to have each other’s back,” DeCuire said. “If a player of theirs throws Timmy Falls on the ground, somebody on my team better step up. As a team, you can’t watch that happen and then not respond because then you’re not a team, you’re not a family. If someone throws our guys to the floor, his teammates are going to be there to have his back.

“Now, they’re not throwing punches, they’re not doing anything out of character. But it’s in character to go stand your ground and help your teammate out. What we did was what I expected. I don’t think it was worthy of a technical, in my opinion.”

"Karl Nicholas and Jamar Akoh came to the defense of teammate Timmy Falls with 13:19 to play. Falls and UNC’s Ibrahim Sylla got tangled up under the basket as Falls tried to force a jump ball; it appeared Sylla shoved Falls to the ground.

Falls was called for a common foul. Akoh got a technical foul and Karl Nicholas and Sylla received offsetting technical fouls for what appeared to be shoving within a group of players."

"Northern Colorado coach Jeff Linder didn’t have any issue with what happened on the court in that sequence.

“Our guys play hard every possession,” Linder said. “They’re not going to play dirty. Montana’s not going to play dirty. Both teams play the right way.”

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/griz-come-to-defense-of-teammate-in-scuffle-with-northern/article_e6bacdf2-fb1b-5c5f-bc77-efa3cab2849e.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

I had no problem with anyone backing Timmy up. This stuff happens. What was ridiculous was the amount of time the refs took to come to their conclusion. There really should be a time limit on replays. Why did it have to take something like 10 minutes to figure that crap out. Tell them they have 1.5 minutes from the time their replay starts to come to a decision on it.

10 minutes of review, and they still didn't get it right. Why the personal foul on Falls, when he and Sylla appeared to both be tangled up? I understand that Falls didn't disengage with Sylla, but Sylla was just as engaged in the hang-up, and ultimately pushed Falls to the ground. The explanation the Ref's gave the coaches is that both players were tangled up and unwilling to disengage. Why the foul on Falls and no foul on Sylla if that's the case?

It was definitely getting chippy before that sequence. Ref's probably should have given a verbal warning to a couple players before it escalated.

Is there a replay of it! Overall I don’t see how UNC didn’t get more of a penalty! According to ESPN Montana got 2 regular fouls and 2 techs and UNC only got 1 how does that work?

Mattdragon said:
Is there a replay of it! Overall I don’t see how UNC didn’t get more of a penalty! According to ESPN Montana got 2 regular fouls and 2 techs and UNC only got 1 how does that work?

It was 3 to one

Falls foul, Karl and Akoh with T's

UNC Sylla got a T.

So UNC shoots 4 Fts and the ball

was total BS...

I love seeing that kind of attitude in the team. You mess with one of us, you'll mess with all of us. From my view of the scuffle, the only "shove" that happened was Falls getting forearmed to the ground AFTER he let go of the ball and had both his hands up in the air. There was a lot of guys getting in each other's grills, but I don't think there was any shoving that could or should have warranted a technical - on either team (in the ensuing kerfluffle after Falls was shoved to the ground). Though to be fair, I'd probably need to watch the broadcast replay to be certain.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
I love seeing that kind of attitude in the team. You mess with one of us, you'll mess with all of us. From my view of the scuffle, the only "shove" that happened was Falls getting forearmed to the ground AFTER he let go of the ball and had both his hands up in the air. There was a lot of guys getting in each other's grills, but I don't think there was any shoving that could or should have warranted a technical - on either team (in the ensuing kerfluffle after Falls was shoved to the ground). Though to be fair, I'd probably need to watch the broadcast replay to be certain.

I also like that TD had the players backs and agreed with what they did.

debellatio said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

Agreed. Too bad JD Quinn wasn't on the court for the Griz.

debellatio said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

Agreed also.

PlayerRep said:
debellatio said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

Agreed. Too bad JD Quinn wasn't on the court for the Griz.

I loved having him sit with me regularly. He'd insist on getting at least four shots of whiskey before each game. He definitely intimidated many opposing players. Haha

The little ref told me that they felt TFalls instigated it by not disengaging so he essentially started it. Then he said both Akoh and Karl bumped the other ref when they came to TFalls assistance.

GrizPony said:
The little ref told me that they felt TFalls instigated it by not disengaging so he essentially started it. Then he said both Akoh and Karl bumped the other ref when they came to TFalls assistance.
Which is total horseshit, because Falls was trying to let go as soon as the whistle happened and had both his hands up in the air.

This whole touch a ref thing should be subject to review. I.e - did the player get into the refs grill and bump him, or did the player shove the ref. Incidental contact in a scrum with a ref shouldn't be considered in the equation. If that were the case, all 10 players on the floor should have received techs because they potentially all came in contact with the ref(s) who were in the scrum trying to break it up. Granted, my memory could a bit spotty and the tape may prove me wrong, but during their 10 minutes of looking at the monitor, they could have used a little common sense as to whether contact was made with them (the refs) intentionally or not.

I understand, reffing is difficult, but if I were as consistently terrible at my job as Big Sky (or PAC 12 for that matter) refs, I wouldn't be at my job anymore. My ass would be fired!

I almost always refuse to agree with whiners who blame refs for why the Griz lose, but every negative comment about the horrible decision(s) by the refs in this case are warranted. These guys really need to be reviewed. That was an absolute atrocity.

They were really bad the entire night. Really, Really bad. And seemed to enjoy it. It was definitely all about them.

Simple solution: pay your officials more money.

Oh wait. I forget this is the conference that moved its tounament to a place no one goes, and even fewer care, because it may save its member programs a couple hundred bucks on airfare.

What are we doing here again?

I like Big Sky basketball. Very competitive in conference play. Have enjoyed it it since I was a kid. This year the conference is strong and knocking off some Pac-12 schools. Yes, it would be nice to have more good refs.

Well I hate to burst some bubbles on here but I have seen former Big Sky refs now in the Pac 12. Some must be doing something right!

Dillon said:
Well I hate to burst some bubbles on here but I have seen former Big Sky refs now in the Pac 12. Some must be doing something right!

:lol: That explains the consistent terrible officiating in the PAC-12 as well then. :lol:

Back