• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Defense!

citygriz

Gotta say, while this may be the gang that can't shoot straight, they're sure playing great defense. Buried in the stats through four games is this nugget: While our opponents are out-shooting us from deep by 44% to 28% (ouch!) they have also put up 32 fewer three-point shots than we have. Result? We are exactly even with our opponents on treys, 24 to 24. That is the result of great hustling, switching, trapping defense, especially on the perimeter. That will win us a lot of games.

I do have one small complaint: Our bigs trapping well outside the arc. Why? They're likely to pick up cheap fouls, and they leave the rim unprotected. Too often I've seen Krslovic or Nicholas way out deep, trapping on a smaller guard well beyond his shooting range. But that's a quibble. This defense is fun to watch.

UM plays a good defense but it seems mostly due to Oguine and one or two others. That is normal for any team but the worry about this UM team is making itself very obvious. They had a lead on Penn State and blew it. They blew a lead and had to go overtime at Pitt. They nearly blew a big lead over Oral Roberts, and they clawed their way from 18 down to a 2 pt lead over Sta. Barb. and let it slip away. Can they play a full game against a good mid major? Caroll College is not a team UM should be scheduling this year, but after that, it is Stanford and UCLA. Maybe they can steal one from one of those, but the first four games are not what anyone thought they would be. It is going to be dog fight in the Big Sky this year to see who is number 15 in the NCAA.

I really want this team to take a step forward from last year. Really need to win another OOC game against a team we arent expected to beat. Gotta play 40 minutes. That means from the beginning to the end. Tonight the beginning stunk. Last game the end. Defensive intensity has improved for sure but needs to be for 40 min by everyone. Again shooting has to improve. Rorie looking more poised this year. He and MO need to be the leaders and heartbeat of this team. When things arent going well they need to take control. They can do it.

citay said:
Gotta say, while this may be the gang that can't shoot straight, they're sure playing great defense. Buried in the stats through four games is this nugget: While our opponents are out-shooting us from deep by 44% to 28% (ouch!) they have also put up 32 fewer three-point shots than we have. Result? We are exactly even with our opponents on treys, 24 to 24. That is the result of great hustling, switching, trapping defense, especially on the perimeter. That will win us a lot of games.

I do have one small complaint: Our bigs trapping well outside the arc. Why? They're likely to pick up cheap fouls, and they leave the rim unprotected. Too often I've seen Krslovic or Nicholas way out deep, trapping on a smaller guard well beyond his shooting range. But that's a quibble. This defense is fun to watch.

One of you stat guys could put together the game results if they shoot 33% each game from 3. They are that close, but in reality so far it's consistently poor. If it stays this way for the next 3-4 games, it'll be a season long trend. Perhaps the excellent defense is leading to losing their legs, thus missing shots. Need another 1 or 2 off the bench maybe?

Back