• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NOT a small win!!

citygriz

Anybody who downplays this win simply doesn't get it. This win was huge for DeCuire (his first against a Power Five conference), for our kids, for our fan base, for our conference. In fact, if you look at the game within the game, it was two wins--one in regulation, when only a major blunder on our part enabled Pitt to get to overtime, and a second in overtime, when we won it for good. And while it is true Pitt is a young team, it's also true we won despite missing free throw opportunities and bricking several treys on our way to shooting 29% from deep. And while you can't exactly say we were homered, you can say that Pitt was in the double bonus both halves, and there were some curious calls and non-calls, one big one when Rorie was hammered to the floor on a layup attempt with no call. We were far from perfect, but here are more reasons to be elated with this performance:

--Oguine! I've been watching a lot of NBA games these past few years, and let me tell you, Oguine could make several NBA rosters right now. His defense last night was superb--and remember, both he and Rorie were out there for all but one minute of an overtime game. Shooting you can learn, and I hope Oguine becomes a better shooter, because everybody in the NBA can shoot. But his talent--hops, quickness, grit, intelligence--are things you can't teach. Oguine has "it."

--Rorie: Not far behind. Superb all-round floor game, and probably our most reliable three-point shooter. With Oguine, we have a backcourt that can compete with any in the country.

--Pridgett: I said, he was ready for a breakout year, and he showed flashes of that last night. Ability to see open players, get to the hoop, play defense and board (eight last night.) One of the top recruits out of the Bay Area two years ago, Pridgett is going to be a big-time college player.

--Moorehead: Wow, didn't see this coming. After a terrible sophomore year, where he looked tentative and lost, and frankly too skinny maybe to play collegiate ball, he is now in position to be our most improved player. I like his shot. I like his hops. Plus he just seems to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time--another trait you can't teach. My major disappointment at losing Dorsey for the year has been largely offset by Moorehead's improvement.

--DeCuire: Kudos to him; he can coach. And when was the last time you saw a Montana team that was more athletic than a Power Five team. By almost any standard last night--time of game with the lead, defensive prowess, final score--Montana was clearly the superior team. This win was no fluke. By the same token, I hope Trav lightens up a bit, and remembers always to celebrate his wins. That clip on GoGriz of him in the locker room afterwards looked more like a drill sergeant talking to a group of Marine Corps recruits. Remember my first rule of life, stolen from a blues musician: "Hey, let's have some fun! You only go around once, and when you're dead, you're done!"

If this team can get Akoh going and playing with confidence down low, they will straight up damage some opponents. Kryslovic needs to stop shooting the 3 ball even if he is wide open. I think I have seen him go 0-4 and they are not even close.

blackfootipa said:
If this team can get Akoh going and playing with confidence down low, they will straight up damage some opponents. Kryslovic needs to stop shooting the 3 ball even if he is wide open. I think I have seen him go 0-4 and they are not even close.

I agree on Krslovic. Tight game, five minutes to go, and he's launching a three. Not his game. In fact, this is my biggest concern about this team--our ability to shoot. Both our free throw and three-point percentages are worrisome. You MUST make three-pointers--that is the essence of today's game. And free throws? That has always been the case. Doesn't Montgomery call them vitamins?

It was a nice win. Nothing more. It doesn't matter if its against a Power 5 team if that team only wins 5 games all year. I think we have a great chance of beating Penn State.

That win would be much bigger.

ordigger said:
It was a nice win. Nothing more. It doesn't matter if its against a Power 5 team if that team only wins 5 games all year. I think we have a great chance of beating Penn State.

That win would be much bigger.

don't know much about Penn St but in my 30 seconds of research looks like we will have to do our best to limit the damage caused by Tony Carr. 6'5", 205 lbs, 26.5 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 7 apg. Though a small sample over inferior opponents, still quite impressive.

Sure, Pitt is a complete dumpster fire right now. Probably going to wind up being the worst team in the ACC. But the fact remains: It is a huge win for the program that is looking for signature wins. its not about how crappy Pitt actually is, its having the ability to show recruits that the GRIZ are building the brand and competing with Power 5/high majors. There is SO MUCH more to it than simply beating a crappy team.

driftwood said:
Sure, Pitt is a complete dumpster fire right now. Probably going to wind up being the worst team in the ACC. But the fact remains: It is a huge win for the program that is looking for signature wins. its not about how crappy Pitt actually is, its having the ability to show recruits that the GRIZ are building the brand and competing with Power 5/high majors. There is SO MUCH more to it than simply beating a crappy team.

We will see how crappy Pitt is at the end of the year.

Spanky said:
Ordigger, what are you thinking? That was a huge win!

:thumb:

I actually stand corrected a bit. I reached out to my cousin this morning, who probably knows as much if not more than anyone that posts on this board about the game. He is a former Final Four PG, and A-10 head coach.

He said that he had actually heard about the game last night, and that in his opinion, any time a mid major like a Montana could beat an ACC team, it was a great win - echoing what Spanky, others are saying. He also noted that he believes Kevin Stallings is a very good coach (knows him from his days at Vanderbilt & his days at Memphis), and that he thinks Pitt will out perform expectations this year. He said "bottom third",in the ACC. He also said Penn State should be a tougher game, and that if the Griz could win that one, and get some momentum, there would some East Coast voters that would take note of them.

Spanky said:
driftwood said:

nothing is guaranteed. but they are facing an uphill battle.

4-14 in conference last year
all 5 starters from last year are gone
only two returning players from last years roster (both of whom were reserves)
last in most major preseason polls

Spanky said:
driftwood said:

Too early for a bump? 8-19 overall (winless in conference at 0-14) and it would be a complete shock if head coach Kevin Stallings lasts long enough to see their season come to an end.

Still plays in the Griz' favor. When they win the Big Sky the committee will see the win and go, "Pitt is not a good team so it is good that the Griz beat them, and beat them on the road". Imagine how it would look if the Griz win the Big Sky but had a loss at Pitt on the resume'

While the Griz don't really have any good wins, what's different with this year's team is that they don't have any bad losses. Generally there are a couple of L's on the record to sub 200 rpi teams. so far, we don't have that this year and that will be a real positive with the committee

EverettGriz said:
While the Griz don't really have any good wins, what's different with this year's team is that they don't have any bad losses. Generally there are a couple of L's on the record to sub 200 rpi teams. so far, we don't have that this year and that will be a real positive with the committee

To add to that, the last loss was by 3 points to Washington, who is now looking like they are playing their way into the NCAA tournament field. And the loss before that was to a good Georgia State team that could also make the NCAA tourney.

driftwood said:
EverettGriz said:

To add to that, the last loss was by 3 points to Washington, who is now looking like they are playing their way into the NCAA tournament field. And the loss before that was to a good Georgia State team that could also make the NCAA tourney.
Georgia State could indeed make the Big Dance, but only if they win their conference tourney. The Sun Belt is even weaker in its RPI than the Big Sky ... so they are also a one-bid conference. But I agree that GS has turned out to be a pretty damn good team.

Back