• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Basketball season officially tips today

grizzlyjournal

Some thoughts on the 2017-18 basketball season as it relates to the Montana Grizzlies. I tried to keep it short. Add your own thoughts!

1. Very sad to see the official team photo on GoGriz with Donaven Dorsey absent. Here’s wishing Mr. Dorsey a steady and complete recovery.

2. Since the day he was hired, Montana coach Travis DeCuire has has promised an uptempo Griz style of play (he has mentioned a +80 ppg. average). This year, I believe he has the horses.

3. Last week, in an interview with Griz announcer Riley Corcoran, coach DeCuire listed improvements in shooting % and shooting defensive % as major team goals. Last season the Griz ranked 6th in fg% and 8th in 3pt. fg% while ranking 9th in defensive fg% allowed and 3rd in 3pt fg% allowed. He estimated an approximate hoped for improvement of 5 percent in all four areas. If the Griz finish ranked among the top 3 Big Sky teams in all areas, I believe they will win the Big Sky.

4. Montana will contend as Big Sky leaders in rebounding and steals.

5. If junior wing Bobby Moorehead and soph. Sayeed Pridgett have breakout years (especially on offense) the Griz will move into the top 40 of the College Insider Mid Major rankings.

6. I believe that any one or two of the Griz frosh (including soph. Niko Bevens) can work their way into the Griz 8-9 deep rotation. If the Griz forge an 8-9 deep rotation... well, see the last sentence of #3 above.

7. BIG SKY: Idaho is a legit pick as the Big Sky’s top team, but I see several other Big Sky teams with higher ceilings as the season progresses.

8. Big Sky dark horse teams: Northern Colorado, Montana State. Big Sky coach on the bubble: Jack Murphy.

9. Good riddance: UND.

10. Several times in Big Sky history the league’s dominant player (ie. Micheal Ray Richardson, Larry Krystskowiak, Rodney Stuckey, Damian Lilliard) could not lead nor will his team to win the Big Sky. This is an honest question (not trash talk): Will Montana State’s Tyler Hall join that fraternity this year?

I watched Niko Bevens play a couple of games here in Coeur d'Alene last year. He seemed to have a green light to shoot from anywhere and made a lot of them. Hopefully he can keep up with the speed on the defensive end. I believe that will determine how much playing time he gets.

Back