• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tuesday nite Lady Griz Black Hills State

AZDoc said:
highplainsgriz said:
It’s on gogriz.com

How’d it go?

I don't remember the exact final score but it was in the neighborhood of 70-something to 40-something. McKenzie Johnston looked good running the point and had one phenomenal bounce pass on the fast break to set up an easy layup. Abby Anderson played a little bit near the end and impressed me with a nice sequence involving a bucket and blocked shot in quick order. Mekayla Isaak had a few nice defensive moments as well. Made Schoening and Nora Klick hit a few nice jumpers and Sophia Stiles continued to impress me with her game. Hailey Nicholson had some nice boards and some nice moves in the post but also missed several shots down low and some open jumpers. I really can't remember much from Sierra Anderson or Gabi Harrington, although if memory serves Gabi took a nice charge in the paint.

The Yellow Jackets made a bit of a run in the third quarter but overall the game didn't really feel as close as the blowout indicates. Lady Griz came out and took care of business. That being said there were way too many open shots missed both on jump shots and under the basket. I don't know what the final number was but at one point they were 21-30 front the line, so getting some points there but missing too many. Three point shooting was a struggle for both teams however the Jackets went to the three ball early several possessions trying to get back into the game so a low percentage there isn't surprising.

Taylor Goligoski didn't play again, so I'm interested to see how she'll meld into this lineup. Click, Johnston, Anderson, and Shoening have all looked good at guard, so hopefully we'll have enough depth there this season that when someone goes cold another will be able to step in. The post still worries me, but there were some good signs out of young players over the last two exhibitions. They'll definitely get a good test over the next three games at Wyoming and then against Kentucky and Gonzaga. I'm hoping for decent crowds for those home games. These girls work hard and play hard and I'm sure they'll give everything they have in those games.

i do love the griz said:
AZDoc said:
highplainsgriz said:
It’s on gogriz.com

How’d it go?

I don't remember the exact final score but it was in the neighborhood of 70-something to 40-something. McKenzie Johnston looked good running the point and had one phenomenal bounce pass on the fast break to set up an easy layup. Abby Anderson played a little bit near the end and impressed me with a nice sequence involving a bucket and blocked shot in quick order. Mekayla Isaak had a few nice defensive moments as well. Made Schoening and Nora Klick hit a few nice jumpers and Sophia Stiles continued to impress me with her game. Hailey Nicholson had some nice boards and some nice moves in the post but also missed several shots down low and some open jumpers. I really can't remember much from Sierra Anderson or Gabi Harrington, although if memory serves Gabi took a nice charge in the paint.

The Yellow Jackets made a bit of a run in the third quarter but overall the game didn't really feel as close as the blowout indicates. Lady Griz came out and took care of business. That being said there were way too many open shots missed both on jump shots and under the basket. I don't know what the final number was but at one point they were 21-30 front the line, so getting some points there but missing too many. Three point shooting was a struggle for both teams however the Jackets went to the three ball early several possessions trying to get back into the game so a low percentage there isn't surprising.

Taylor Goligoski didn't play again, so I'm interested to see how she'll meld into this lineup. Click, Johnston, Anderson, and Shoening have all looked good at guard, so hopefully we'll have enough depth there this season that when someone goes cold another will be able to step in. The post still worries me, but there were some good signs out of young players over the last two exhibitions. They'll definitely get a good test over the next three games at Wyoming and then against Kentucky and Gonzaga. I'm hoping for decent crowds for those home games. These girls work hard and play hard and I'm sure they'll give everything they have in those games.
Maybe the reason you don't remember much about Sierra Anderson was because she didn't suit up. :)

i do love the griz said:
AZDoc said:
highplainsgriz said:
It’s on gogriz.com

How’d it go?

Nice summary! :thumb:

Prior to the game last night, it was tough to observe (from the other side of the court where I sat) that FIVE of the 15 players on the 2017-18 Lady Griz roster sat in sweats at the far end of the team bench. During the post-game interview, coach Schweyen commented further that Taylor Gologoski's injury is not responding well to treatment.

Beyond that, Griz point guard McKenzie Johnston took a hard, hard fall on a drive into the key near the end of the third quarter. She was called for a charge, but I believe otherwise (after watching the replay). McKenzie didn't get back onto the court & was in visible discomfort while she sat on the bench.

Facing a long season with an already severely limited roster doesn't bode well. I'm hoping that Taylor & Sierra can make it back. But the signs are already evident that frosh Sophia Stiles will probably not redshirt. She's an incredible talent and will prove herself sooner rather than later. I also believe that Nora Klick will prove equally valuable to the team as she works her way back into playing competitive basketball again (what a shooter!). So -- in many ways -- this LG team is still deeper than they were at this point last year. Plus, they will also have an eligible Caitlin Lonergan by mid January.

But, ya gotta hope that the injuries will cease for this already severely impacted team. Every one of the 10 on the court last night made important contributions. Every one will be needed. In the meantime, this team can't afford even minor injuries heading into some brutal early seson competition.

Coach seemed high on Henderson's performance last night and so far in preseason. With the issues at forward and post positions, she will be a big key to their season. I like her athleticism and seems her skills are improving every year.

Coach seemed high on Henderson's performance last night and so far in preseason. With the issues at forward and post positions, she will be a big key to their season. I like her athleticism and seems her skills are improving every year.

grizzlyjournal said:
I also believe that Nora Klick will prove equally valuable to the team as she works her way back into playing competitive basketball again (what a shooter!).

I remember an interview that was conducted with Karen Deden that rated Nora Klick as the best shooter in the state; and that was after her junior year in hs.

Back