• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gotta Laugh...

citygriz

...at the NCAA. Seems our Canadian friends play by a 24-second clock, while the NCAA still goes by the 30-second clock. What a joke. It's high time the NCAA joined the modern world.

You'd think with their slumping attendance they'd take a page out of the NBA's playbook, and shorten the time clock to 24 seconds. I mean, the NBA did that in 1954--63 years ago! Back when it took 11 hours to fly from New York to London by prop plane; a letter took days; and you sent messages via Western Union. Football has gone up-tempo, hockey has become an exciting end-to-end sport that has invaded even Tampa, Florida, and ESPN has found a market for thrilling, high-flying X Games.

But college basketball? Six seconds slower than the NBA was in 1954, and Canada is today.

I'd make it a 16-second shot clock. If I were a coach, my team would put up shots within 12 seconds.That'd scare the bejeezuz out of the old purists, but would put Millenial butts back in the seats for a game that should be a helluva lot faster than it is today.

citay said:
...at the NCAA. Seems our Canadian friends play by a 24-second clock, while the NCAA still goes by the 30-second clock. What a joke. It's high time the NCAA joined the modern world.

You'd think with their slumping attendance they'd take a page out of the NBA's playbook, and shorten the time clock to 24 seconds. I mean, the NBA did that in 1954--63 years ago! Back when it took 11 hours to fly from New York to London by prop plane; a letter took days; and you sent messages via Western Union. Football has gone up-tempo, hockey has become an exciting end-to-end sport that has invaded even Tampa, Florida, and ESPN has found a market for thrilling, high-flying X Games.

But college basketball? Six seconds slower than the NBA was in 1954, and Canada is today.

I'd make it a 16-second shot clock. If I were a coach, my team would put up shots within 12 seconds.That'd scare the bejeezuz out of the old purists, but would put Millenial butts back in the seats for a game that should be a helluva lot faster than it is today.

I love college hoops...but holy slow. Doesn't seem that much longer when you look at it...but it's 25% longer. If I made 25% more money, I'd be up to the standards of some posters on this forum!

citay said:

How is attendance at Canadian college b-ball games doing? U of Sask had 490 fans at their last home game,fyi. Half the NBA arenas are 1/4+ empty too, no matter how much the league lies. I've been to NBA games where the arena is half to 1/3 full, yet the official attendance will still be listed as 13,000 or some BS, so don't quote me NBA attendance stats. In the NBA where every guy is a legit player a 24-second clock isn't a bad thing, but a 24 Second clocks in college turns into a lot of guys chucking desperation shots every-other possession when the clock gets low. A team that can move the ball around and be patient and wait for a quality shot deserves to be rewarded. If a team truly thinks it benefits them to shoot right away, nobody is stopping them from doing that,but it's been 25 years since LMU. If that style of game worked in college, somebody would be doing it. More ppl watch March Madness than ANY other basketball games,period. Everybody loves watching underdogs like Princeton when they knock off far-more athletic top-ranked teams. Take that aspect away, and they will lose a lot of that appeal. If you want fast,terrible b-ball you can get U of Sask season tix.

Zirg said:
citay said:

How is attendance at Canadian college b-ball games doing? U of Sask had 490 fans at their last home game,fyi. Half the NBA arenas are 1/4+ empty too, no matter how much the league lies. I've been to NBA games where the arena is half to 1/3 full, yet the official attendance will still be listed as 13,000 or some BS, so don't quote me NBA attendance stats. In the NBA where every guy is a legit player a 24-second clock isn't a bad thing, but a 24 Second clocks in college turns into a lot of guys chucking desperation shots every-other possession when the clock gets low. A team that can move the ball around and be patient and wait for a quality shot deserves to be rewarded. If a team truly thinks it benefits them to shoot right away, nobody is stopping them from doing that,but it's been 25 years since LMU. If that style of game worked in college, somebody would be doing it. More ppl watch March Madness than ANY other basketball games,period. Everybody loves watching underdogs like Princeton when they knock off far-more athletic top-ranked teams. Take that aspect away, and they will lose a lot of that appeal. If you want fast,terrible b-ball you can get U of Sask season tix.

All these years later, we're still talking about LMU. Paul Westhead took a small Catholic mid-major located next to an airport and turned the program into a national sensation. They were on TV almost every week. In the NCAA tournament, they took down an Alabama team that featured three future NBA players, including Robert Horry. They could be down ten, twenty, no problem. Because they had such fast-strike, momentum-changing abilities, they were in every game.

So what happened?

My theory: Conditioning. Remember, they not only shot the ball quick, they pressed all over the court. To do that, they endured a brutal pre-season training, and were in better shape than any opponent. But when Hank Gathers died of a heart attack, I think most coaches said, "It's just not worth it. We're not going there."

So Westhead went to the pros where those guys were REALLY not in shape. If you knew what NBA players consumed before games, everything from junk food of all kinds to cigarettes of all varieties, you'd see the product was far from top quality. Not only was Magic Johnson not going to take crap from a college coach, he wasn't going to work to be in the best possible shape either. Even today, when Ty Lue took over the Cavs, the first thing he said was, "We've got to get in shape." That's the dirty secret of the NBA.

As for our Griz last night, certain trends are emerging. First, a great backcourt. Rorie and Oguine are first-rate. With them on the court, we'll not be out of any game in my opinion. Then: Incredible depth. (Wish we had one more year of experience up and down the roster, but so be it.) As to the two young bigs. Remember, Quale was always in foul trouble as a freshman, trying to contest every shot. You've got to learn when to contest, and when to let go. It takes time. I think we should redshirt both those guys.

citay said:
Zirg said:
citay said:

All these years later, we're still talking about LMU. Paul Westhead took a small Catholic mid-major located next to an airport and turned the program into a national sensation. They were on TV almost every week. In the NCAA tournament, they took down an Alabama team that featured three future NBA players, including Robert Horry. They could be down ten, twenty, no problem. Because they had such fast-strike, momentum-changing abilities, they were in every game.

So what happened?

My theory: Conditioning. Remember, they not only shot the ball quick, they pressed all over the court. To do that, they endured a brutal pre-season training, and were in better shape than any opponent. But when Hank Gathers died of a heart attack, I think most coaches said, "It's just not worth it. We're not going there."

So Westhead went to the pros where those guys were REALLY not in shape. If you knew what NBA players consumed before games, everything from junk food of all kinds to cigarettes of all varieties, you'd see the product was far from top quality. Not only was Magic Johnson not going to take crap from a college coach, he wasn't going to work to be in the best possible shape either. Even today, when Ty Lue took over the Cavs, the first thing he said was, "We've got to get in shape." That's the dirty secret of the NBA.

As for our Griz last night, certain trends are emerging. First, a great backcourt. Rorie and Oguine are first-rate. With them on the court, we'll not be out of any game in my opinion. Then: Incredible depth. (Wish we had one more year of experience up and down the roster, but so be it.) As to the two young bigs. Remember, Quale was always in foul trouble as a freshman, trying to contest every shot. You've got to learn when to contest, and when to let go. It takes time. I think we should redshirt both those guys.

Lots of ways to win. The counter to Westhead is the Princeton O. Lots of success and copycats for that O. From my own personal standpoint, I prefer that style of play as I prefer strategy and execution over just pure athleticism -- unless it's a 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson, or a track athlete or some individual sports. Then athleticism is super cool. I understand the want for a fast shot clock - it is just not for me. Just a personal preference and neither of us are wrong as personal preferences can't be wrong.

For a team to compete with another who has all the advantages (say Duke), you need to have a different philosophy than the current hype. You aren't going to beat them at their own game.

An example as a counter to the current Golden State three point rage -- valuing length. Syracuse is effective at this, and went there long ago because of their zone. Milwaukee Bucks are another example. Everyone who chases the hype competes for the same players that match the hype's skillset. That leaves others available that would otherwise be snatched up right away if another hype were in vogue. Explicitly picking a philosophy because it is different led Milwaukee to the Greek Freek and others. Will be interesting to watch, because there is little chance that small town team wins with trying to do what everyone else is doing. I pick them as my 2020 NBA champs. GS became great because they went (created) a different philosophy than the then current hype - albeit maybe accidentally at first.

It's great to be the innovator in life.

Citay:I thought you were come back with West Virginia when I said nobody runs the fast-paced action anymore. I forgot about them. They probably came the closest to LMU's style last year, but since they failed miserably in the tourney most ppl forgot about them. Again, IF you have the horses, you are allowed to play that style if you want, but why prevent the other 90% of colleges who don't have the right roster to play that kind of game? I enjoy both NBA and college to various degrees and I don't want either to change their format. Enjoy each for what it is. :)

Sadly, as you mentioned Hank Gathers death on the court probably ended that experimental style of play quickly just when it might have become a copied style, although Gathers had a history of heart issues and Westphal's greed to keep playing Gathers, when he had no business ever competing in any athletic competition ever again after his diagnosis, killed him more than the style of play. I watched the 30 for 30 about LMU recently ironically and actually was on LMU's campus that next summer for a week and saw Bo Kimble a cpl times. I knew an LA reference would resonate with you. I've always appreciated your passion for b-ball. I just disagree on this issue, but no hard feelings.

What I love about college basketball is the wide diversity of coaches, styles, strategy, etc. All that is huge come March Madness. Great strategy, coaching, and execution is what allows the lesser knowns/ smaller schools to be competitive with the power schools/conferences. By changing the shot clock to less time, it will decrease the likelihood of NCAA upsets. Those upsets are what make the tournament the best event in all of athletics. If you a sports fan or basketball fan wants to watch the faster paced game, tune into the NBA. I like both college basketball and the NBA. This fan, does not want them to be the same exact game. I want them to each keep their brands separate.

Back