• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Donaven Dorsey

Well, it's not a shock; we knew it was coming. But I believe Dorsey's absence will be the difference between a team that could compete at high levels of DI college basketball (think UCLA, Stanford, Penn State and Washington) and a team that will now be a good but not great mid-major.

But then, check out the Celtics. When Gordon Hayward went down, everybody said that was the end of their championship hopes--before they ran off an eight-game winning streak, and look to be one of the premier teams in the NBA. So there's hope. We still have a lot of talent on this team. Maybe this affords a newbie more playing time.

citay said:
Well, it's not a shock; we knew it was coming. But I believe Dorsey's absence will be the difference between a team that could compete at high levels of DI college basketball (think UCLA, Stanford, Penn State and Washington) and a team that will now be a good but not great mid-major.

But then, check out the Celtics. When Gordon Hayward went down, everybody said that was the end of their championship hopes--before they ran off an eight-game winning streak, and look to be one of the premier teams in the NBA. So there's hope. We still have a lot of talent on this team. Maybe this affords a newbie more playing time.

That newbie is Karl Nicholas. I think he will be a stud. :thumb:

My first thoughts are for Mr. Dorsey. I wish him all the best in complete physical, mental and emotional recovery. This had to be a huge shock for him and the team. He's a quality young man & I hope he can persevere.

Regarding the team: Every two-three years a frosh newcomer is a huge surprise and a big bonus as conference rolls around. I believe this team has those players (I mean to speak in multiples!). I think they need a few games, but they have breakout potential.

Regardless of newcomers, this team remains, at positions 1-5, one of the deepest Griz teams I've seen and (if they stay healthy) have the ability to wear other teams down. That said, Individuals may not be as important as three specific areas coach DeCuire has already articulated in early interviews: Increased team shooting percentage (especially from beyond the perimeter) over last season, cutting opponents' shooting percentage to around 45% (a reduction of 10% from last season), and keeping turnovers low as offensive pace & output increase. Lastly, Ahmaad Rorie stated a goal for the Griz: “We’re trying to be one of the best defensive teams in the country. Our defense definitely needs to be intense." (from an interview with Frank Gogola of the Missoulian). I look forward to seeing that intensity. They have the physical ability & numbers depth to make measurable improvements.

The loss of Donaven was huge. But the Griz are still deep enough that if they can improve in the areas detailed above, I think they'll be more than merely 'ok.'

fanofzoo said:
AZDoc said:
fanofzoo said:
Will he stay?

Why wouldn't he?

After taking off 2 years basically it's hard to stay focused and still feel wanted but kudo's to the team for supporting him and his will to see it through.

Ahhh gotcha. Just losing the love type thing. Was thinking differently. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
citay said:

I don't know much about Dorsey to be honest and I am sure he would have been a great asset to this year's squad, but I do concur that this gives Nicholas a chance to play/shine right away. Nicholas was, supposedly, the #17 ranked recruit from the state of Texas this year and he is definitely athletic as hell and reason for optimism. I assume he might have been a likely Redshirt candidate if Dorsey (who is a similar player?) was healthy, so recruiting depth could pay off this year.

Zirg said:
mtgrizrule said:
citay said:

I don't know much about Dorsey to be honest and I am sure he would have been a great asset to this year's squad, but I do concur that this gives Nicholas a chance to play/shine right away. Nicholas was, supposedly, the #17 ranked recruit from the state of Texas this year and he is definitely athletic as hell and reason for optimism. I assume he might have been a likely Redshirt candidate if Dorsey (who is a similar player?) was healthy, so recruiting depth could pay off this year.
Donaven was projected to play the three. Nicholas is a post player. However, Donaven is a huge loss. I hope he can return for his senior year. Given he has already had a redshirt year, I don't know if he would be eligible for a medical redshirt.

GrizWhiz said:
Zirg said:
mtgrizrule said:
citay said:

Donaven was projected to play the three. Nicholas is a post player. However, Donaven is a huge loss. I hope he can return for his senior year. Given he has already had a redshirt year, I don't know if he would be eligible for a medical redshirt.

With this injury he certainly would be. Given the nature of this specific injury, it would be a true crime for them to withhold a medical redshirt from any player going through something like this

kyle_sample said:
GrizWhiz said:
Zirg said:
mtgrizrule said:

With this injury he certainly would be. Given the nature of this specific injury, it would be a true crime for them to withhold a medical redshirt from any player going through something like this
My concern is the "five years to play four" rule would prevent the medical redshirt year being granted.

GrizWhiz said:
kyle_sample said:
GrizWhiz said:
Zirg said:

My concern is the "five years to play four" rule would prevent the medical redshirt year being granted.

Always have medical redshirt discussions on the board. It's a long process, has very specific rules to qualify for, but if the injury is something that's a no brainer, should be relatively easy to qualify for even if he's redshirted. That being said, the NCAA is the NCAA and things that make sense don't necessarily happen as they should (see no punishment for North Carolina).

Again I don't know Dorsey's specific history very well but as was mentioned, a 6th year is sometimes granted by the National Communists Against Athletes for legit injuries like Dorsey obvious has.

Back