• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz vs Carroll College tonight (Monday)

616s6e

If anyone can go, please provide an update. I am particularly curious about the post position. Is Caitlin
Lonergan going to be ready to go after January 1?

After watching the scrimmage last week, she looked ready to go now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lady griz 35, Carroll 25 at the half

Schoenfeld with 8
Harrington and Anderson with 6

Some first impressions from Montana's 55-48 win over Carroll:

1. After losing their two leading front court seniors once again, it's not surprising to see the Lady Griz struggle against a taller (but not more physical) Saints team. The Lady Griz outrebounded Carroll 39-28 but got only 11 points combined from Nicholson (2), Isaac (5) and Henderson (4). All nine of reserve post, Emma Stockholm's points were from the perimeter. Nicholson and Henderson had a lot of open looks throughout the game, but just could not knock the shots down(3-12 combined). Conclusion: Some one (or two) will have to step up to provide some offensive punch down low in the absence of Valley and Harris.

2. Despite decent guard depth this year, not having Taylor Gologoski (quad injury) hurt Montana even more. The Saints kept LG point guards, McKenzie Johnston (8 pts) and Sierra Anderson (6 pts) from penetrating in the second half and tightened up what could have been an easier win for the LG. Both Johnston and Anderson are competent points. Conclusion: Point is Montana's strength right now. Check out the assist by Johnston to Schoening below.

3. Carroll was taller inside, and blocked 5 griz shots in the paint, forcing the LG to score from the perimeter. The LG were smaller inside, but stood their ground well, especially on defense. Montana boarded the ball at both ends of the floor well and second chances were one major factor in the win. The other factor (offense) was Montana's inside-outside passing game. Montana shot 8-20 from beyond the arc, and have the potential to get better. Whether Madi Schoening plays two or three, she's a good outside shooter (let the team with 13) and can drive baseline when she's over-played on the perimeter. When Gologoski returns, I wager Schoening will play small forward.

4. Carroll had a good inside-outside passing game that tested Montana's interior defense. Like last year, Montana's defense needs some serious work. In short, whoever plays the best D will probably move into starting roles. It became quickly apparent that coach Schweyen will give minutes to the best defensive players. That means that Isaac and Henderson could see more minutes for their defense and rebounding (Henderson snared 7 boards). Though Schoening played well defensively, I'd say Jace Henderson's aggressive second half defense was a key in this win. Reserve guard Harrington seems quite improved as a defender and rebounder from last season. Conclusion: How or if this team improves defensively may well have a huge impact on their overall record.

5. This is probably McKenzie Johnston's team. She played a quiet but efficient point. Sierra Anderson also played well, but had a tough shooting night. I was impressed with Nora Klick in the team scrimmage, but she had a quiet night.

6. I heard that C. Lonergan will be eligible to play after the start of second semester (usually around Jan 20).

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/925185055495897088[/tweet]

There are others on this board who are much more familiar with the LG than me. Input welcomed.

GrizzlyJournal - thanks for the analysis. I would have assumed that Lonergan would have been able to play an exhibition game - guess not, or was she hurt?

Any further details on Abby Anderson's collision with the elk? Where did that happen? I heard on the radio this morning that a young guy was killed by Potomac last night due to an elk collision.

Apparently Stiles had a rather quiet night.

First look at the new scoreboard. First scoreboard I’ve seen that never shows the score. Nothing but a big closed circuit TV. I hope it’s being programmed to do more stuff, because as it was last night it’s just an unnecessary distraction.

bearister said:
First look at the new scoreboard. First scoreboard I’ve seen that never shows the score. Nothing but a big closed circuit TV. I hope it’s being programmed to do more stuff, because as it was last night it’s just an unnecessary distraction.

It had the score of the game for the scrimmage last week. Never paid attention to the video board in this game as it is so high where I sit that I just look at a scoreboard on the northwest side.

There are statistics. I am actually wanting them to take out the new video board and put in the old scoreboard. The only thing good about what we have now is that they can do the smile cam, or whatever cam.

The board is just not an improvement to my game time experience

616s6e said:
GrizzlyJournal - thanks for the analysis. I would have assumed that Lonergan would have been able to play an exhibition game - guess not, or was she hurt?

Any further details on Abby Anderson's collision with the elk? Where did that happen? I heard on the radio this morning that a young guy was killed by Potomac last night due to an elk collision.

616s6e: It was a classic first-game freshman outing. She played 14 minutes and was most impressive to me on defense. She displayed good footwork and excellent lateral movement. Very quick hands and came within an unlucky bounce of a steal for a breakaway layup.

That said, she got beat a couple of times on drives to the bucket, and had what (I think) she thought was a sure early O layup swatted away by a defender. The "typical" part of this is that freshmen can never anticipate the speed of the college game until they step onto the floor. I could see that she was making adjustments as the game proceeded. I think Schweyen would have given her more minutes, but the second half was tight at mid-point and the "veterans" played their roles.

Mos frosh exit their first game with no stats. Well, not Stiles: 0-3/0-1 shooting, 2 fouls and a turnover. But her 1 block, 1 steal and 2 assists spoke loudly. As others have said, Stiles is a Griz guard future star. I honestly believe the Griz should redshirt her (I think that's the plan). I would not be surprised -- now that the Griz are down three or 4 players -- if she remains on the active roster... OR comes off the redshirt later in the season.

Saw only first half. Thought the team looked better at each position, with another year of experience. I liked the fairly tough man D in the first half and didn't think it broke down too much. The team showed a lot of hustle. Couldn't make a hoop early in game.

Went up about 15 twice in first but lost it. Went down to about 7 late in first half, but back to 10 at half. I was surprised that it turned out to be as close as it was. Carroll was a pretty good team. Had a few players who could knock down the 3 at times.

I liked Stiles, for multiple reasons. A few more players would help. Both of the seniors with bad knees were on the bench.

grizzlyjournal said:
616s6e said:

616s6e: It was a classic first-game freshman outing. She played 14 minutes and was most impressive to me on defense. She displayed good footwork and excellent lateral movement. Very quick hands and came within an unlucky bounce of a steal for a breakaway layup.

That said, she got beat a couple of times on drives to the bucket, and had what (I think) she thought was a sure early O layup swatted away by a defender. The "typical" part of this is that freshmen can never anticipate the speed of the college game until they step onto the floor. I could see that she was making adjustments as the game proceeded. I think Schweyen would have given her more minutes, but the second half was tight at mid-point and the "veterans" played their roles.

Mos frosh exit their first game with no stats. Well, not Stiles: 0-3/0-1 shooting, 2 fouls and a turnover. But her 1 block, 1 steal and 2 assists spoke loudly. As others have said, Stiles is a Griz guard future star. I honestly believe the Griz should redshirt her (I think that's the plan). I would not be surprised -- now that the Griz are down three or 4 players -- if she remains on the active roster... OR comes off the redshirt later in the season.

I thought she showed a pretty impressive head for the game, although I agree with your point that the speed of the game gave her problems. She's listed at 5' 9", and she can't weigh much more than 100#. A redshirt year in the weight room wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

griznhel said:
I know not griz, but CC beat Boise St last night in Boise. 62-61 Go Saints...

Was on the news here in Boise last night. The sports guys just kept saying was a scrimmage so didn't matter. Watching the highlights Carroll looked solid. Were a step slower, but definitely tall and changed shots inside.

Back