• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Maroon Silver Scrimmages

I just returned from the men's scrimmage. I will rely on others to provide a comprehensive accounting. My most notable impression of the new Griz is Karl Nicholas is going to be a lot of fun to watch for the next four years. This guy is lightning quick and incredibly tenacious. He fights for every rebound and does not give up. I have no stats from the scrimmage, but he must have led the Griz in rebounding. The biggest mystery is where was Donavan Dorsey. He was introduced with the rest of the team but was nowhere to be seen.

Here's the Missoulian story and the box score. Got a kick out of Admir Besovic's 10 personal fouls... admit I've never seen that in a stats line.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FrankGogola/status/923037003175874560[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FrankGogola/status/922986799647023104[/tweet]

grizzlyjournal said:
The play sequence of the scrimmage?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/_fahlip_/status/923034438862123008[/tweet]

Definitely. He didn't get credited with a block in the stats though for some reason (not that it really matters). Nicholas is going to be a lot of fun to watch. Very tenacious on D and getting rebounds.

I think 3 or 4 of Besovich's fouls were moving screens. I didn't get a good look at any of them but that's something I'm sure the coaches will get ironed out.

On another note, does anyone know why Donaven Dorsey wasn't at the scrimmage?

I went and it should be pointed out the men played 2 10 min halves and the women played two 10 minute quarters and then two 8 min quarters. And yes Besovic did have 10 fouls, banging with Akoh - I believe they are trying to toughen him up. Nicholas can fly. The new players are all fun to watch.

The Ladies hustled and scrapped. Sophie(?) Stiles will be a star - she was fearless, but she definitely needs more muscle - she looks almost too slender.

rail43boy said:
I went and it should be pointed out the men played 2 10 min halves and the women played two 10 minute quarters and then two 8 min quarters. And yes Besovic did have 10 fouls, banging with Akoh - I believe they are trying to toughen him up. Nicholas can fly. The new players are all fun to watch.

The Ladies hustled and scrapped. Sophie(?) Stiles will be a star - she was fearless, but she definitely needs more muscle - she looks almost too slender.

Personally, I like her legs just the way they are.

Potomac Griz said:
grizzlyjournal said:
The play sequence of the scrimmage?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/_fahlip_/status/923034438862123008[/tweet]

Definitely. He didn't get credited with a block in the stats though for some reason (not that it really matters). Nicholas is going to be a lot of fun to watch. Very tenacious on D and getting rebounds.

I think 3 or 4 of Besovich's fouls were moving screens. I didn't get a good look at any of them but that's something I'm sure the coaches will get ironed out.

On another note, does anyone know why Donaven Dorsey wasn't at the scrimmage?

Let's hope he wasn't in Pullman over the weekend...
But seriously, aaaaanyone?

I overheard a Griz GAC member tell another booster last night that an announcement re: Donaven Dorsey will be made soon. What seemed clear to me from the pre-scrimmage introductions -- where Dorsey's name was prominently announced -- is that he is on the Griz roster.

grizzlyjournal said:
I overheard a Griz GAC member tell another booster last night that an announcement re: Donaven Dorsey will be made soon. What seemed clear to me from the pre-scrimmage introductions -- where Dorsey's name was prominently announced -- is that he is on the Griz roster. Anything else on my part is conjecture, so I'm going to wait for the announcement.

I think this is huge, because Dorsey is the dimension this team really needs: A big athletic wing who can shoot and rebound, and is game-tested against D-1 competition. With him, I think Montana is a frighteningly good Big Sky team, with a chance to pull off an upset or two pre-season. Without him, well, we're still good, but not great, and with little hope against the three Pac-12 teams we play non-conference. I have predicted Nicholas will be the Freshman of the Year in the Big Sky, but remember: He weighs 185. That's awful slight to be banging inside with the UCLA's and Stanford's of the world. Akoh and Krslovic are the big bodies we need, but Dorsey would round out the size and swagger to make us competitive against the major schools.

In looking at our roster, Dorsey is still listed so that is good. Other thing that stood out to me, wow we only have one senior. All these guys will be back next year.

http://www.gogriz.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

grizzlyjournal said:
I overheard a Griz GAC member tell another booster last night that an announcement re: Donaven Dorsey will be made soon. What seemed clear to me from the pre-scrimmage introductions -- where Dorsey's name was prominently announced -- is that he is on the Griz roster.

OH COME ON!!! This is the week of waiting on announcements...

grizzlyjournal said:
Here's the Missoulian story and the box score. Got a kick out of Admir Besovic's 10 personal fouls... admit I've never seen that in a stats line.

I think they inadvertently added his personal and his "nothing personal" fouls all up together.

Latest posts

Back