• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Alright I am a....

cmtgrizzly

NCAA selection committee member (not really but just for fun), tell me why I should watch the Griz closely this year when last year they didnt even make the tourney. Why will they win their conference this year? Do you think they can win games in their OOC schedule to warrant a possible NCAA tourney invite even if they dont win the conference tourney (I know silly thought but again just for fun). Overall are they a competitive mid major or are they going to be again inconsistent and lose to teams they really shouldnt?

cmtgrizzly said:
NCAA selection committee member (not really but just for fun), tell me why I should watch the Griz closely this year when last year they didnt even make the tourney. Why will they win their conference this year? Do you think they can win games in their OOC schedule to warrant a possible NCAA tourney invite even if they dont win the conference tourney (I know silly thought but again just for fun). Overall are they a competitive mid major or are they going to be again inconsistent and lose to teams they really shouldnt?

The Griz have size, athleticism and quality depth such as seldom seen before--possibly in the history of the program. You will immediately wonder: How did the University of Montana EVER recruit such a collection of talent? (I believe this is the result of some extraordinary recruiting, thanks to DeCuire and maybe more especially, Chris Cobb.) Put this team in Dahlberg, with its big new scoreboard, and you're looking at a fun, exciting and hopefully winning environment.

From there it's all questions:
--Can this team shoot, especially trey's? Last year they couldn't. They think they've remedied that problem, but it remains to be seen. This is a must. At the top, Steph Curry has changed the game of basketball. The Cavs now shoot twice as many three's as they did two years ago, and all teams down to the high school and collegiate level have caught the bug. Kids today can shoot. Can we?
--Can we win against this OOC schedule? We play at Pitt, Penn State, Stanford, Washington and UCLA, among others. UCLA is loaded; Stanford is well-coached and brought in one of the top recruiting classes in the country. Washington is Washington, especially on their home floor. As daunting as this schedule is, remember: Problems spell opportunity. If Montana is as good as many of us hope, they will have plenty of opportunity to get noticed.
--A conference championship is not guaranteed, since Weber State and Idaho both will be very good, and it's always tough to win a conference tournament, especially on a neutral floor. But the end result is not a pony-league, second-division playoff. If you win the conference, you are in the big time, playing against the big boys, in my all-time favorite sporting event, the Big Dance. For a school like Montana, that's no longer possible in football, but it is in basketball. That prospect in itself is exciting, at least to me.

citay said:
cmtgrizzly said:

The Griz have size, athleticism and quality depth such as seldom seen before--possibly in the history of the program. You will immediately wonder: How did the University of Montana EVER recruit such a collection of talent? (I believe this is the result of some extraordinary recruiting, thanks to DeCuire and maybe more especially, Chris Cobb.) Put this team in Dahlberg, with its big new scoreboard, and you're looking at a fun, exciting and hopefully winning environment.

--Can this team shoot, especially trey's? Last year they couldn't. They think they've remedied that problem, but it remains to be seen. This is a must. At the top, Steph Curry has changed the game of basketball. The Cavs now shoot twice as many three's as they did two years ago, and all teams down to the high school and collegiate level have caught the bug. Kids today can shoot. Can we?
--Can we win against this OOC schedule? We play at Pitt, Penn State, Stanford, Washington and UCLA, among others. UCLA is loaded; Stanford is well-coached and brought in one of the top recruiting classes in the country. Washington is Washington, especially on their home floor. As daunting as this schedule is, remember: Problems spell opportunity. If Montana is as good as many of us hope, they will have plenty of opportunity to get noticed.
--A conference championship is not guaranteed, since Weber State and Idaho both will be very good, and it's always tough to win a conference tournament, especially on a neutral floor. But the end result is not a pony-league, second-division playoff. If you win the conference, you are in the big time, playing against the big boys, in my all-time favorite sporting event, the Big Dance. For a school like Montana, that's no longer possible in football, but it is in basketball. That prospect in itself is exciting, at least to me.

I am looking forward to this year as I think we could be good. Enough new faces though that it is hard to know how good and if it will take extended time for this team to find its identity and about the time the conference starts will we be saying we are "one year away" again. Thanks for the input. Cant wait. NCAA tourney is my favorite sporting event as well. Hopefully griz nation will get out and support this team more this year than recent years.

Good point about the new faces; forgot to mention that. Not only have they not played together, five of those new faces are true freshmen, including the new guy I think is a huge key, Karl Nicholas.

cmtgrizzly said:
citay said:
cmtgrizzly said:

I am looking forward to this year as I think we could be good. Enough new faces though that it is hard to know how good and if it will take extended time for this team to find its identity and about the time the conference starts will we be saying we are "one year away" again. Thanks for the input. Cant wait. NCAA tourney is my favorite sporting event as well. Hopefully griz nation will get out and support this team more this year than recent years.

I think we will clearly be better next year, so I agree with one year away, but not in one of those negative tones where "there's always next year" as I think this year will be fun. The bumpy road will be easier knowing the future is bright and we are young and the program is building. We will be inconsistent when we start and some overly entitled posters will whine, but there will be flashes and we will steadily improve and be tough at the end of the year. Next year we have a chance to be very good, as will a few other teams. Big Sky is getting better. Always need to see how players mesh with so many new faces. Recruiting hype doesn't always transfer, so individually, freshman and transfers can tank, or be brilliant. And like citay said, I'm weary of the 3 point shooting and that may hurt on some nights. I'm also worried about hyper substitution with the depth and not getting a rhythm. Not sure on the boards yet as I haven't seen our front line players yet, but am hopeful. Can and will we play uptempo to exploit the athleticism and depth. If so, will we be crushed when we play more athletic majors. Questions, questions, but I sure do like how we're positioned.

So, give them time and be excited but fair.

astutegriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:
citay said:
cmtgrizzly said:

I think we will clearly be better next year, so I agree with one year away, but not in one of those negative tones where "there's always next year" as I think this year will be fun. The bumpy road will be easier knowing the future is bright and we are young and the program is building. We will be inconsistent when we start and some overly entitled posters will whine, but there will be flashes and we will steadily improve and be tough at the end of the year. Next year we have a chance to be very good, as will a few other teams. Big Sky is getting better. Always need to see how players mesh with so many new faces. Recruiting hype doesn't always transfer, so individually, freshman and transfers can tank, or be brilliant. And like citay said, I'm weary of the 3 point shooting and that may hurt on some nights. I'm also worried about hyper substitution with the depth and not getting a rhythm. Not sure on the boards yet as I haven't seen our front line players yet, but am hopeful. Can and will we play uptempo to exploit the athleticism and depth. If so, will we be crushed when we play more athletic majors. Questions, questions, but I sure do like how we're positioned.

Great posts to both of you. Thanks. I am excited to see the new pieces we have and get an Idea of our potential for the next few years. Maybe by the end of the year we will be pleasantly surprised. I too expect some bumps but am more interested in watching the development for now than expecting big wins.

It's time to get over the hump and pull out a few of those close noncon games against top competition. So often the GRIZ are in those games late but fail to finish. If we want to be who we believe we can be, it's time to put a few of those in the "W" column.

EverettGriz said:
It's time to get over the hump and pull out a few of those close noncon games against top competition. So often the GRIZ are in those games late but fail to finish. If we want to be who we believe we can be, it's time to put a few of those in the "W" column.

They are capable of doing just that. It would be helpful to have truly neutral officials, when we play larger conference teams. We often get homered against teams from bigger conferences.

I wish football fans were as patient as basketball fans. I like what TD is building and the future looks bright even if it is not this year. I do agree however this team needs to win some ooc games and should start dominating the lower half of the league to be taken seriously.

astutegriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:
citay said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Tell me why I should watch the Griz closely this year.

The Griz have size, athleticism and quality depth such as seldom seen before. How did the University of Montana EVER recruit such a collection of talent?

--Can this team shoot, especially trey's? Last year they couldn't. It remains to be seen.
--Can we win against this OOC schedule? We play at Pitt, Penn State, Stanford, Washington and UCLA, among others.
--A conference championship is not guaranteed, since Weber State and Idaho both will be very good, and it's always tough to win a conference tournament.

I think we could be good. Enough new faces it is hard to know how good and if it will take extended time for this team to find its identity and about the time the conference starts will we be saying we are "one year away" again.

I agree with one year away. We will be inconsistent when we start and some overly entitled posters will whine, but there will be flashes and we will steadily improve and be tough at the end of the year. Big Sky is getting better. Always need to see how players mesh with so many new faces. Recruiting hype doesn't always transfer as freshman and transfers can tank, or be brilliant. I'm weary of the 3 point shooting.

A condensed version of this post to remind some this was largely to be expected.

Give them time. The future is bright. Hope we can get the new players more experience before conference.

I dont think this teams problem is physical at least not for the main players. They have the physical ability to shoot. They can run an offense and create shots. I think the problem is mental/confidence. I still dont think we have that guy that is tough and has the "refuse to lose" attitude and will lead the team. The guy that wants the ball at the end of the game that the rest of the team believes in and gives the team an identity. I feel like Rorie should be that guy but I dont know that he is. Oguine has the ability but I am not sure it is his personality. Some of you who know the team better can certainly refute. The football team may have found theirs in a more mature but still competitive, tough, bobcat hating head coach.

One good thing about a mental/confidence problem is that it can and likely will turn quickly if the right person or people are put into the right situation and gain some confidence. The bad thing is that if you dont have the right people to take this role it probably wont ever happen. I hope fate meets preparation and aspiration for at least one of our guys this year and the whole team can find a way to win (and shoot) consistently.

Bump. Still early and I agree with the EWU fan we need to prove ourselves a little more but maybe the premise of my original post is looking a little less silly and maybe eye rolling not so warranted.

cmtgrizzly said:
Bump. Still early and I agree with the EWU fan we need to prove ourselves a little more but maybe the premise of my original post is looking a little less silly and maybe eye rolling not so warranted.

Don't you find the eye rolling funny now? Success is the best revenge.

Back