• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Arizona, USC, Louisville Ect... Fed investigation

grizzlyjournal

As a kid I used to ride my bike past the neighborhood teepee burner in Missoula. The open door faced the street (Russell) and the fire inside was always a swirling vortex, fed by sawdust and bark chips from a conveyer near the top of the structure.

Well, for some reason, this story sort of reminds me of that teepee burner.

fhttp://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20824193/ncaa-basketball-coaches-10-charged-fraud-corruption

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/26/ncaa-coaches-college-basketball-fraud-scheme-justice-department-243151

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/912725270708269056[/tweet]

NCAA rules infractions are one thing. Its a whole new fire when the FBI knocks on your door and says you are coming with me.

Are under a federal investigation for paying players etc....

This could get ugly fast, Wire taped conversations etc.

The USC mentioned is here in South Carolina. I was happy when they showed greatness but for the entire season, I could not help but wonder just how they became so good, so fast. I wonder if it affects the womans' teams, as well. Also, why is North Carolina being ignored after years of proven cheating that their coach claims to nothing of....hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Potomac Griz said:
GrizLA said:
The USC mentioned is here in South Carolina.

The ESPN article says It's the University of Southern California. One of their assistant coaches (Tony Bland) has been charged. There is a former South Carolina assistant charged too though.
I do see that as more is being revealed. It is shocking that Southern Calif would be caught up in this having just gone through the NCAA sanctions. Things are going to be interesting but I seriously doubt that anything major will be done. Billions of dollars to be made by the NCAA and spread around....

Hah! As in "Hah-pocrisy!" Remember the old bank robber, Willie Sutton? When asked why he robbed banks, he said, "Because that's where the money is."

Today, the NCAA is where the money is. At all levels. Coaches, athletic directors, jocks, agents, bowl officials, the media, they're all on the take. There's a shitpot of money here, and yet the NCAA calls it an "amateur" operation. As in STUDENT athlete, STUDENT athlete. I groan every time I hear the term STUDENT athlete.

Where there's money there's graft, period. Note that it took the Feds, not the NCAA, to call out the graft. To deny the money, to overlook the graft, that's Hypocrisy One.

Hypocrisy Two: It's the "FREE MARKET!" Listen, there is NO such thing as a "free market." No businessman alive wants a "free market" because a free market is anathema to profits. Businessmen want to control markets, monopolize markets. And eventually, the do. The strong drive out the weak. And that's exactly what's happened in college athletics. The Power Five now run everything. And if you're in the Power Five, you can get away with anything. Rick Pitino was essentially running a prostitution ring at Louisville. The STUDENT athletes at North Carolina weren't even students because they never went to class!

Of course, the Power Five, the Monopoly, got away with it. You think Montana would have gotten away with either of those things? Pitino is still coaching. And North Carolina has won a championship and been in another championship game since their misdeeds were found out.

But don't think this changes anything. Bank robbers get caught and banks still get robbed. The fraud, the greed and the hypocrisy that is the NCAA will go on. Nothing but nothing will change. Because, as Willie Sutton said, that's where the money is.

There will be big shakeups in the coaching circle. Coaches will be out of jobs. Coaches will step up to take those elite jobs and lower coaches will take those vacated jobs and on down the line. Will be interesting to see the coaching carousel turn.

The first one toppled.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20834710/louisville-head-coach-rick-pitino-athletic-director-tom-jurich-out

I read something about this that I had never heard before, a quote from Pitino. He mentions that if a kid in high school wears a Nike Logo, then he cant recruit him because Louisville is an Adidas school, so that limits his options in who he can recruit.

"What I personally don't like (is) I can't recruit a kid because he wears Nike on the AAU circuit," Pitino said then. "I had never heard of such a thing and it's happening in our world. Or, he's on the Adidas circuit, so the Nike schools don't want him." Pitino then added it's a very tough situation to address "because our pockets are lined with their money."

So how does this affect a mid-major like Montana? Since we are a "Nike school" does that mean that we also can only recruit high school students from the Nike circuit? I would guess many recruit may not belong to any brand - but it begs the question regardless

cmtgrizzly said:
There will be big shakeups in the coaching circle. Coaches will be out of jobs. Coaches will step up to take those elite jobs and lower coaches will take those vacated jobs and on down the line. Will be interesting to see the coaching carousel turn.

For sure, especially interesting this late in the game.

...dept.of justice rarely makes a mistake...
...when they get involved in a deal like this...
...way past time for petino to pack his flippn' bags...
... :rule: ...

grizd said:
cmtgrizzly said:

For sure, especially interesting this late in the game.

Yep and things may happen quickly as athletic departments panic to find coaches and for some, ADs to take over now that season has started.

Back