• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Early 17-18 ranking by CBB

grizzlyjournal

College basketball analyst Kevin Sweeney of CBB Central (The voice of Mid-Major Hoops) is conducting a pre-season Q&A for followers tonight. So, thought I'd ask his opinions regarding the Big Sky Conf. Answer below:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/912128873013432320[/tweet]

Wow. Weber fourth? Not sure about that. They are loaded this year.

But this guy is an astute observer. We insiders know this is the year we've been building to since DeCuire took over. I'm surprised somebody outside the program knows that as well.

UND is not going to finish 4th unless we get some serious help down low with the newcomers. Drick Bernstien and Carson Shanks leaving really hurts us.

citay said:

But this guy is an astute observer. We insiders know this is the year we've been building to since DeCuire took over. I'm surprised somebody outside the program knows that as well.

Loaded with a bunch of guys who have been role players. They don't have anybody who's been in a leadership role before. I'd put them fourth behind Idaho, Montana and MSU

kyle_sample said:
citay said:

Loaded with a bunch of guys who have been role players. They don't have anybody who's been in a leadership role before. I'd put them fourth behind Idaho, Montana and MSU
What about Braxton. He was a solid last season.

The tribute to Delvon Anderson on GoGriz points up the importance of transfers. In our program, Travis DeCuire and Martin Breunig were notable transfers. Now we add Akoh and Dorsey. Will they have an impact? Most of us here certainly think so, in two key areas, rebounding and thee-point shooting.

Now take Weber. They too bring in a key transfer, Brekkott Chapman. He was a four-star recruit coming out of high school, rated the 49th top player in the country by ESPN. Like Breunig at Washington, he played two undistinguished years at Utah, then transferred. Why?

Now we have a clue, and it hardly detracts from Chapman's potential impact: Kyle Kuzma. He too signed with Utah, and basically took Chapman's starting spot. How good is Kuzma? Possibly the steal of the entire NBA draft, another second-rounder with Draymond Green potential. In the Summer League, he averaged 22 points an 6.4 rebounds. In both the Summer League and the pre-season games, he's shot well over 40% on three's.

The Big Sky rarely sees 4-star players out of high school. Given Kuzma's blossoming as a pro, it's more than likely Chapman remains a solid player with 4-star potential. At 6'8" he could have the same impact on the Big Sky that Breunig did for us.

That's why I pick Weber so high.

GrizLA said:
kyle_sample said:
citay said:

What about Braxton. He was a solid last season.

They didn't use Braxton a lot last season. He averaged about 6.5 shots per game. He was a role player. The most interesting thing about Weber will be watching which players can take that step from role player to team leader/go-to guy. They have a few candidates

Back