• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017-18 Lady Griz prospectus is out

grizzlyjournal

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizWBB/status/910663791582384128[/tweet]

Yesterday the Montana Sports Information Dept. (GoGriz.com) published the 2017-18 Lady Griz prospectus and it's an interesting read. It's available in PDF form by clicking the twitter link above.

Here are some of my observations on this unique upcoming season.

• First -- considering Montana's tumultous season last year -- I wish all the best for coach Shannon Schweyen and team. Here's hoping they'll have a healthy season devoid of the kind of injuries that beset the team last season and that they’ll be able to build toward the future instead of always having to figure out how to bandage things up.

• Secondly, I wish similar regards to coach Schweyen, who in her first year as head coach, endured some wrenching personal and family crises, yet maintained an optimistic and even-keeled perspective throughout.

Last season was a remarkable one and fascinating to watch (despite the poundings the Lady Griz suffered). It was truly unique to watch a first-year coach take a team mostly composed of freshmen literally four months after their final high school games and mold them into a team that advanced so, so close to the cusp of top tier contention over the final three weeks of the season... before running out of fuel.

After featuring a young, green team lineup that often had five frosh on the floor, Schweyen patiently and positively built a team that slowly got the picture and then -- on their own -- got to work building a gritty, pugnacious and sometimes firey identity. Some games you could literally see the lights come on when plays finally started clicking.

It all bodes well for this season, with the return of two senior all-stars who lost all or most of their playing season last year.

Kayleigh Valley (f) and Alycia Harris (C) will rejoin the lone upperclass player from last year, senior Mekayla Isaac. Suddenly, a green young Montana squad will this year likely start three potential All-Big Sky players; what a transformation. Judging by the cover of this year’s Lady Griz prospectus, the mix of now-experienced youth and now healthy seniors... expect the Lady Griz to mix things up big time in the Big Sky.

Montana's top 3 underclass players from last year (McKenzie Johnston, Madi Schoening & Taylor Gologoski) will vie for extensive playing time at point and shooting guard while two other multi-talented guards (Jr. Sierra Anderson and soph Gabi Harrington) will make the 1-2 guard rotation that’s suddenly deep, and loaded with potential.

Another battle-tested underclass player of considerable talent -- Hailey Nicholson -- will see considerable time in the frontcourt rotation, while two others who matured dramatically last season -- Jace Henderson and Emma Stockholm -- will provide depth the team did not have last season.

Add to the mix four frosh newcomers capable of earning playing time and....

The potential is there, but no need to set unrealistic expectations. The coach and most of her talented team are still young. This is not yet a battle-tested veteran Lady Griz team like I’ve seen a dozen times or so over the past 30 years. But it’s a team that will be fun to watch. With a few lucky breaks this year -- we all know they’re due -- the 2017-18 Montana Lady Griz might just stir up a breakthrough year.

BELOW: I developed a depth chart of sorts. Frankly, I don’t see very many rotation variations, partly because I have no idea whether any of the four incoming freshmen can step into a playing rotation. There’s room at the 3, 4 and 5 positions. I DO believe there’ll be some heady competition among the five “underclass” guards and I DO believe that Nicholson has the talent to log a lot of minutes in the 4-5 spots. Input from oher eGriz readers is welcome.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/quartzglen/status/910958125502545920[/tweet]

Isn't Gabbi Harrington a Sophomore? And, if she doesn't redshirt, I predict that Sophie Stiles will be among the top players on the team. I am anxious to see if Nora Klick has recovered. Should be a fun year. My apologies for putting so much pressure on Sophie but she can handle it.

Back