• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Admir Besovic's Status?

Just a bit regarding the Griz roster, based upon what I've observed:

I'm as curious about the Griz roster status as anyone else. The last info I read on Admir was that he could not practice with the team because he had not cleared NCAA qualifying standard for international students. However:

• Admir Besovic IS on the roster. Also, he is listed in Verbal Commits as having enrolled for fall semester (usually pretty accurate).

• Below is a team photo, taken Monday. Griz basketball players helped new students move into dorms, and this was taken during Monday's "move-in." The photo appears to be minus two players:
Admir and guard Lars Espe, from Bergen, Norway. The tall young man in the back row to the left is (I believe...) Peter Jones, a 6-8 walkon from Seattle. I can't be certain of this, so stand open to be corrected.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/902625502908710912[/tweet]

Best thing about that picture is seeing Karl Nicholas in it. I hope this means his family is okay.

Sport said:
I have been told by one of the coaches he is eligible and enrolled in school.

:clap: :clap: Cool. That makes for some roster. It's been awhile since a Griz team has had depth 1-through-5.

In the 50 years that I have watched Griz hoops, they have never before had depth 1-5, let along 1-13 like they now appear to have. For those of you who don't follow Griz hoops closely, this is an amazing feat of recruiting by Travis and the staff. Now, lets see how the team chemistry works out with the competition for playing time.

616s6e said:
In the 50 years that I have watched Griz hoops, they have never before had depth 1-5, let along 1-13 like they now appear to have. For those of you who don't follow Griz hoops closely, this is an amazing feat of recruiting by Travis and the staff. Now, lets see how the team chemistry works out with the competition for playing time.

I agree completely. Montana has always had a few good players, but never the depth we see now. And seldom two seven-footers. This is what has always separated the major programs from Montana.

It was just excruciating to be in Los Angeles for the USC game last year, seeing how long we were in that game (remember, we outscored USC from the field), but knowing we were without Oguine (hurt), Dorsey and Akoh (redshirted), and Nicholas and Falls (committed, but still in high school.) Now the cavalry has arrived.

Having said that, we all have to understand how, in a generation, the game has changed. A generation ago, Michael Jordon, the Bulls and especially the Detroit Pistons defined the game: Tough inside games, strong rebounding, incredible athleticism thanks to Michael Jordan. In "Zen Hoops," Phil Jackson spends a good deal of time deciding how the more athletic Bulls would deal with "The Bad Boys," especially Bill Laimbeer. Think today of that same old guard, Charles Barkley, and how dismissive he is of today's "jump shooters." Weak. Pansies. Pushovers. That's what Charles thought of the Warriors until...

...the Warriors changed the game. Not only the Splash Brothers (possibly the best two outside shooters the game has seen) but also Durant and Draymond Green, all able to hit the three consistently. Not to mention Curry's handle, and the amazing passing this team displays. I used to be transfixed watching a YouTube of Pistol Pete, but Curry is much better in my estimation, his passing more precise and just as dazzling.

The result is, kids today want to be like Curry and Durant. They've worked on their handles. More than anything else, they've worked on their three-point shots. That shot has been there a long time; it took Curry and Thompson to fully exploit it.

So now the question is, now that we have the depth and the athleticism--do we have the shooters? Will Bevens be the consistent three-point threat that Gfeller wasn't? Will Espee free Rorie of point guard duties, such as to make him a better shooter? Will Dorsey be a reliable outside threat? Can Bobby Moorehead recapture the shooting promise he showed as a freshman but lost last year? Will Falls be a consistent outside threat as a true freshman?

This will be the key to our season. Because this generation of basketball is defined by its outside shooting ability. If we're to be on the side of evolution, we have to adjust. Thank you Steph. Thank you Klay.

Saw a group of them at the game and told them that Oct. couldn't come fast enough. Damn all 6'2'' of me felt really , really small.

616s6e said:

Although I agree it has been a long time since we've had great depth - IMO some of those late 70s and early 80s team had great depth, included big men. Next guy up was always ready to go. We even had 7' backup depth at center, or close to it. Big Sky was a much tougher league then too. I'd have to go back, and get lists of names, but our 1-8, was very good - with good results.

I'm not ready to annoint this team as good yet, until they actually have some success on the court - and hopefully we will see that. I'm more confident the football team will have good success this year, than the basketball with so many unknowns.

Back