• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pinkerton leaves for Iowa state

Paytonlives

Staff member
Not surprised at all. Was just hoping UM would get a couple more years

[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES/status/892775206887931904[/tweet]

Wow, great move for Coach Pink. You knew this was coming, just thought we had one more year before we would have to start looking for a new coach.

Bummer. Hopefully the search is thorough and the right guy/lady is chosen for the job. Someone with recruiting ties in the SW would be good. I wonder if Melanie Meuchel is interested. I'm guessing Montana would be a dream job for her but I know she was out of coaching for a year before taking the Montana job.

Congrats to coach Pinkerton who, in many ways, is returning to home, as explained in this attached story from GoGriz. He wasn't looking for a job, but one dropped into his lap.

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2017/8/2/softball-pinkerton-hired-by-iowa-state.aspx

I'm not very familiar with the softball coaching pool, but I hope that Mr. Haslam sits down for a long discussion with Melanie Meuchel. Certainly -- as a native Montanan who knows the state very well -- she deserves first consideration. Something that'll be hard to replace w/Pinkerton are his extensive recruiting contacts, but I'll bet Meuchel has tapped into his knowledge in that regard.

Maybe the toughest thing to replace will be the extensive teaching experience Pinkerton developed... and the fact that he had an ability (by my limited observation) to communicate with his players on a one-to-one level.

The biggest problem is timing: Kent Haslam doesn't have much time to get a coach into place. I'll be interested to see how fast this develops.

grizzlyjournal said:
Congrats to coach Pinkerton who, in many ways, is returning to home, as explained in this attached story from GoGriz. He wasn't looking for a job, but one dropped into his lap.

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2017/8/2/softball-pinkerton-hired-by-iowa-state.aspx

I'm not very familiar with the softball coaching pool, but I hope that Mr. Haslam sits down for a long discussion with Melanie Meuchel. Certainly -- as a native Montanan who knows the state very well -- she deserves first consideration. Something that'll be hard to replace w/Pinkerton are his extensive recruiting contacts, but I'll bet Meuchel has tapped into his knowledge in that regard.

Maybe the toughest thing to replace will be the extensive teaching experience Pinkerton developed... and the fact that he had an ability (by my limited observation) to communicate with his players on a one-to-one level.

The biggest problem is timing: Kent Haslam doesn't have much time to get a coach into place. I'll be interested to see how fast this develops.

Naming Melanie as the interim coach for the year to conduct a proper search may be on the table but that also may be an insult to her. It would give her an "on the job interview" but it also says "we're not quite sure your the right person for the job".

Also, not quite sure this is a step up for Pink as some people might think. In the end of the year RPI rankings Montana was #124 and Iowa State was #150 with a 25-35 record. This was definitely a family oriented decision for him to take this job I feel.

AlabamaGrizzly, I believe what he said. I believe that it was a family decision. Montana had an RPI advantage, sure. However, don't underestimate the possibility of a multi-year contract and Big 12 money played in the decision also. I would bet that he was offered pay at or over $100,000 annually.

No interim coaching position for the Griz softball program. Kent Haslam announced a national search and it's estimated a new coach will be hired by late fall. Meanwhile, Sydney Stites announced yesterday she's following Pinkerton to Iowa State.

There's a good interview story featuring Delene Colburn now up at GoGriz. It's entitled "We're Going to be OK," and pretty much indicates that Colburn has already stepped up as the team's player spokesperson for the program. A good read.

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2017/8/9/softball-we-re-going-to-be-okay.aspx

grizzlyjournal said:
No interim coaching position for the Griz softball program. Kent Haslam announced a national search and it's estimated a new coach will be hired by late fall. Meanwhile, Sydney Stites announced yesterday she's following Pinkerton to Iowa State.

There's a good interview story featuring Delene Colburn now up at GoGriz. It's entitled "We're Going to be OK," and pretty much indicates that Colburn has already stepped up as the team's player spokesperson for the program. A good read.

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2017/8/9/softball-we-re-going-to-be-okay.aspx

Thanks Journal. It took me to a time when you played for the spirit of the school, and not the coach, he was just the vehicle to get you there.

Back