• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

First day of hoops practice: Go Griz!

I believe that's Akoh and Dorsey in two of those pictures. Ah, some height! This looks like a real basketball team.

Some pix from the first Griz scrimmage of the 2017-18 year...

[tweet]https://www.facebook.com/UMGRIZZLIES.BB/photos/pcb.1417602841654088/1417602194987486/?type=3&theater[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/892570384607752192[/tweet]

I went and watched them the other day. While this was admittedly by some the best workout of the 10-practice period, this team is going to be really good if it can gel. There is versatility and shooting everywhere. There are at least 4 guys who can handle the ball. The bigs, Fab and Jamar, can play from the perimeter or the block -- Fab took 3 jumpers and cashed them all, including two from beyond the 3-point line. His shooting stroke was smooth and he didn't hesitate. He spent all spring working on that. Jamar can take the ball from the perimeter in if he has to. Ahmaad took on a leadership role and was really active defensively. Mike was aggressive and his shot was consistent. Sayeed looked a lot more comfortable and appears to have improved his outside shot. Lars is going to be a really dependable option when the coaches want to move Ahmaad off ball. Donavan was shooting well. There is 2-deep talent at every position.
I'm not trying to get ahead of anything because this was just one workout and there were breakdowns with defensive communication and a few other things, but this team is going to be really good by March.

kyle_sample said:
I went and watched them the other day. While this was admittedly by some the best workout of the 10-practice period, this team is going to be really good if it can gel. There is versatility and shooting everywhere. There are at least 4 guys who can handle the ball. The bigs, Fab and Jamar, can play from the perimeter or the block -- Fab took 3 jumpers and cashed them all, including two from beyond the 3-point line. His shooting stroke was smooth and he didn't hesitate. He spent all spring working on that. Jamar can take the ball from the perimeter in if he has to. Ahmaad took on a leadership role and was really active defensively. Mike was aggressive and his shot was consistent. Sayeed looked a lot more comfortable and appears to have improved his outside shot. Lars is going to be a really dependable option when the coaches want to move Ahmaad off ball. Donavan was shooting well. There is 2-deep talent at every position.
I'm not trying to get ahead of anything because this was just one workout and there were breakdowns with defensive communication and a few other things, but this team is going to be really good by March.

Thanks Kyle. Much appreciated update. I agree; at least on paper, this may be the deepest Griz team I can ever recall.

Back